Post-Game Talk: No post-game blues in St-Louis. Only hats, wings, and wins. Habs win 7-4

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Can't argue with this.
With every passing day the Bergevin regime looks worse and worse.
Hughes will eventually jettison the AHL coaching staff too.
I think it's logical. Teams want their depth to be able to integrate seamlessly when called upon. That would indeed require a total revamp through to the ECHL.

Reactions: Runner77

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Caufield fell into the Habs' lap, it was well noted at the time.

If you want credit for a successful reach then Romanov was a very good draft pick, out of nowhere. Caufield, not so much.

Caufield falling over to Bergevin's lap tells more about how sucky most NHL management is than how bad Bergevin was. Plenty of reasons to dislike MB but this isn't one of them.

We laugh at the Flyers video of fans in that bar cheering for what they think will be a Caufield pick but when you think about it, it's really pathetic how the drunken fans in that bar had more insight about talent and the game than 10/12 NHL management teams.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
To me his legacy will always be, being hated around here for all the wrong reasons, let's face it we seem to have alot of promising young guy's on the team acquired or drafted under him
But you are totally ignoring the fact that we had to be bad for years on end in order for him to do so. The killer is it wasn't an intentional direction.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a night, I remember laughing at my friend (leaf fan) when we watched both games, he left when I went to use the bathroom lol
Never let Darryl Sutter know that you used the bathroom. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GHJimmy

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
And some can never let go of their deep love for the man and his biceps. Guy should be gone and forgotten and yet he still has his little fanclub who can't let go.

I don’t see anyone on the MB bandwagon. He should have been gone a long time ago.

It’s legit to point all of his mistakes and there are so many!! However, claiming the moves that worked out is all luck is bs. Fair to bash him on his shit moves but be man enough to give him due on his good moves.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't see any reality where habs finish 11 overall. The team is currently 15th ex-aequo with TB and this is after two wins and a good start. Only way this team finish over 18th is if the goalies keep playing like real number 1 which should not be expected past December. Like i always say don't evaluate when things are going well.
By US Thanksgiving which is 3.5 weeks away if the Habs stay where they’re at based on league trends going back to start of cap era, that’s where they’ll likely remain +/- a couple of spots, barring significant injuries.

Keep in mind last years outlier season was based on setting an NHL all time record for games lost due to injuries for the Habs + coming off the shortest offseason in league history + losing Price + Weber.

Reactions: Canad13ns

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is exactly what I hate here, people mostly talk about the negative. I did say he wasn't a good GM overall. You still gotta give credit where credit is due. He did draft those guys, no one else did. He did turn Galchenyuk into Anderson. He did sign Toffoli and he did brought us to the cup. No one else did that for a while and that's something. Never said he was the greatest, but I did appreciate a lot the finals run and it was under Bergevin.

Also, stop acting like he could've signed superstars, there's litteraly no one who wants to come here. We have to develop our own stars. Yes he and Timmins did pick like shit for most of his tenure, but I'm pretty sure Molson didn't want him to rebuild like HuGo is doing right now.

Yeah there is a double standard with the Bergevin critique when he gets full blame for everything that was a miss but no credit for his hits.

Ultinately, Bergevin did fail though. The reason I say this is because the Habs should have gone for it all in the mid 2010s when Markov was still very good, and you had subban in his prime along with newly acquired petry. That's an amazing top 3.

Really, if he had done whatever it took to land a 1C, whether that meant dealing multiple first rounders, you do it. It was time.

Now, it turns out that Price's injury woes took a turn for the worse after 2015, but none of us knew that would be the case. You can't predict injuries, but you can idebtify the time when you are ready to go for it, and he just didn't do enough.

I give him credit for winning a good amount of trades. The petry trade was especially a Houdini act. But it was like we were making incremental improvements on the trades in general but not really moving the needle in the big picture.

Reactions: LaP and HabsQC

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don’t see anyone on the MB bandwagon. He should have been gone a long time ago.

It’s legit to point all of his mistakes and there are so many!! However, claiming the moves that worked out is all luck is bs. Fair to bash him on his shit moves but be man enough to give him due on his good moves.

There was not many tbh. Acquiring Danault was one but then he lost him for nothing. Patch and Gallagher first contracts. Acquiring Suzuki but then it was not his first choice a trade was made with LA but Patch turned it down. Petry was good too. Vanek. But a lot of those were at the beginning of his tenure. The end was rough.

The problem with the way some fans evaluated MB's work is all his even trades were considered good. Even the "it cost nothing" trades were considered good. Fans would run around calling acquiring Martinsen a good move cause it cost nothing. I mean one of the last trade MB did was trading a 126th overall pick in 2021 for a 128th overall pick in 2022 and this is the type of moves many fans were calling good moves because it did cost nothing.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Molson has to be pleased with foundation that is finally getting built. I've been to two home games this season already and had a far better time than I expected. There is a REASON to go see these kids live I would recommend it if you get the chance. I would also recommend masking up. Both my wife and I came dowm with covid not long after. I was double masked most of the time but she wasn't. :help:Needless to say I got sick a few days after her symptoms appeared. There was some anger that came out in some of my posts recently so I do apologize for that.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Yeah there is a double standard with the Bergevin critique when he gets full blame for everything that was a miss but no credit for his hits.

Ultinately, Bergevin did fail though. The reason I say this is because the Habs should have gone for it all in the mid 2010s when Markov was still very good, and you had subban in his prime along with newly acquired petry. That's an amazing top 3.

Really, if he had done whatever it took to land a 1C, whether that meant dealing multiple first rounders, you do it. It was time.

Now, it turns out that Price's injury woes took a turn for the worse after 2015, but none of us knew that would be the case. You can't predict injuries, but you can idebtify the time when you are ready to go for it, and he just didn't do enough.

I give him credit for winning a good amount of trades. The petry trade was especially a Houdini act. But it was like we were making incremental improvements on the trades in general but not really moving the needle in the big picture.
To go further than that, I think we should've went into rebuild the year we got Price. Easy to say afterwards though

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Caufield falling over to Bergevin's lap tells more about how sucky most NHL management is than how bad Bergevin was. Plenty of reasons to dislike MB but this isn't one of them.

We laugh at the Flyers video of fans in that bar cheering for what they think will be a Caufield pick but when you think about it, it's really pathetic how the drunken fans in that bar had more insight about talent and the game than 10/12 NHL management teams.
I thought CC was going top 5. Didn't watch the draft but was walking past a bar showing it just as we were picking. Couldn't hear but saw Caufield's name and I absolutely lost it. One of the luckiest things that ever happened to this franchise in the past 30 or so years I'd say.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To go further than that, I think we should've went into rebuild the year we got Price. Easy to say afterwards though

I'm not sure what you mean. Gainey drafted price in 05. By 07-08, the Habs were 1st seed in the conference and had a higher end prospect pool than even today.

Reactions: the

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
There was not many tbh. Acquiring Danault was one but then he lost him for nothing. Patch and Gallagher first contracts. Acquiring Suzuki but then it was not his first choice a trade was made with LA but Patch turned it down. Petry was good too. Vanek. But a lot of those were at the beginning of his tenure. The end was rough.

The problem with the way some fans evaluated MB's work is all his even trades were considered good. Even the "it cost nothing" trades were considered good. Fans would run around calling acquiring Martinsen a good move cause it cost nothing. I mean one of the last trade MB did was trading a 126th overall pick in 2021 for a 128th overall pick in 2022 and this is the type of moves many fans were calling good moves because it did cost nothing.

It does matter if NS was not his first choice (if that is even true) the fact is he acquired a legit 1c for Patch. Saying Cole slide to them is also BS because in the end they made the right choice and selected him.

I don’t think anyone is saying they should have kept him. I think his time was well up, I just don’t think you can critique the guy on his blunders and call his successful decisions pure luck, it’s weak.

He made a lot of bad decisions with contracts, drafting, picking a direction, and player development but he was pretty good at making trades.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Given Bergevin’s overall draft record, you can say drunken fans had a LOT more insight and instinct than the Bergevin administration overall.

Giving credit for Caufield would require taking credit away for all the busts. Net negative.

Reactions: EXPOS123

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Haha, more nonsense.

Teams passed on Caufield but MB and TT selected him despite what other teams concerns may have been. I get the dislike for MB but making shit up is weak and lame.
The Habs lacked goal scoring so much that MB and TT drafted Caufield despite the aspects that turned other teams off. Caufield would’ve gone top10 if not for his size. In any case, we should acknowledge that MB royally screwed the Habs organization when he reached and chose Jesperi Kotkaniemi with the 3OA. Massive disaster and likely even more impactful than drafting Caufield.

Reactions: bsl

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I'm not sure what you mean. Gainey drafted price in 05. By 07-08, the Habs were 1st seed in the conference and had a higher end prospect pool than even today.
And where did that lead us exactly ? If we tanked, we could've added a few more top players to play with Price all his career.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Helluva deflection by Pokerfaced Dvo on this sequence — they ought to try him on the PP more often, as I suggested earlier.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The double standard is that people insist on giving Bergevin credit when they never did the same with other GMs. Otherwise we should see plenty of posts about how Réjean Houle deserves credit for leaving the team with prospects like Hainsey, Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Markov, Ryder, or how he stole a young Sheldon Souray.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The Habs lacked goal scoring so much that MB and TT drafted Caufield despite the aspects that turned other teams off. Caufield would’ve gone top10 if not for his size. In any case, we should acknowledge that MB royally screwed the Habs organization when he reached and chose Jesperi Kotkaniemi with the 3OA. Massive disaster and likely even more impactful than drafting Caufield.

In the end MB made a huge mistake when they drafted KK, and hit a huge home run when selecting CC.

Your arguing they lacked scoring so they were forced to select CC but weren’t they so weak at centre he was forced to take KK. In that case, should he not get a pass for that pick, lol. He made both picks and deserves credit and blame for both.

Slam him for his mistakes but it’s weak and lame to try to discredit his good moves as they just fell into his lap.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It does matter if NS was not his first choice (if that is even true) the fact is he acquired a legit 1c for Patch. Saying Cole slide to them is also BS because in the end they made the right choice and selected him.

I don’t think anyone is saying they should have kept him. I think his time was well up, I just don’t think you can critique the guy on his blunders and call his successful decisions pure luck, it’s weak.

He made a lot of bad decisions with contracts, drafting, picking a direction, and player development but he was pretty good at making trades.
He didn’t acquire a 1C, he acquired a centre prospect and 2nd line winger in exchange for a top10 goal scoring LW on a darling contract. We lost Tatar as FA without even playing him in the playoffs (DD preferring a multiply injured Toffoli and Gallagher to him!!)

We all wanted Patches gone by the time of trade but let’s not kid — he was the best player of the trade and just last year he was PPG.

It was a fair trade, but often enough giving up the best player of the trade is a losing proposition. The Habs weren’t rebuilding then, so basically through Bergevin’s mismanagement we had to give up a goal scoring LW for no good reason.

Reactions: JoelWarlord and the

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Haha, more nonsense.

Teams passed on Caufield but MB and TT selected him despite what other teams concerns may have been. I get the dislike for MB but making shit up is weak and lame.

This is true. I wanted Marc Bergevin gone, and I don't think he was a good GM. That said, Marc Bergevin was not an idiot. I don't like a lot of the decisions he made, and contracts he gave out. But at the same time he was able to spot some really good players. He would be an asset to have in a team's brass just maybe he should not have been the main guy.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The double standard is that people insist on giving Bergevin credit when they never did the same with other GMs. Otherwise we should see plenty of posts about how Réjean Houle deserves credit for leaving the team with prospects like Hainsey, Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Markov, Ryder, or how he stole a young Sheldon Souray.

One can give a GM credit for whatever his good moves were but also state he was an awful GM. It’s called being objective.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That is why my opinion is valuable too. I Say we can fight for a playoffs spot and users laugh at me

We are a young team while top teams are getting older. Remember, each Game is a battle for every team has to suffer a long exhausting 82 Games season fighting against each others.
There are 3 young teams in the division that are farther ahead of the Habs. They aren't catching Boston and probably Tampa. If Toronto gets a new coach thy will likely be out of reach. Playoffs are a longshot this year. Could be 2 years away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad