Post-Game Talk: No post-game blues in St-Louis. Only hats, wings, and wins. Habs win 7-4

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He didn’t acquire a 1C, he acquired a centre prospect and 2nd line winger in exchange for a top10 goal scoring LW on a darling contract. We lost Tatar as FA without even playing him in the playoffs (DD preferring a multiply injured Toffoli and Gallagher to him!!)

We all wanted Patches gone by the time of trade but let’s not kid — he was the best player of the trade and just last year he was PPG.

It was a fair trade, but often enough giving up the best player of the trade is a losing proposition. The Habs weren’t rebuilding then, so basically through Bergevin’s mismanagement we had to give up a goal scoring LW for no good reason.

Sorry but NS is a legit 1c and MB did acquire him.

Reactions: Deebs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
In the end MB made a huge mistake when they drafted KK, and hit a huge home run when selecting CC.

Your arguing they lacked scoring so they were forced to select CC but weren’t they so weak at centre he was forced to take KK. In that case, should he not get a pass for that pick, lol. He made both picks and deserves credit and blame for both.

Slam him for his mistakes but it’s weak and lame to try to discredit his good moves as they just fell into his lap.
Caufield slipped down the rankings. Not sure what you want me to say. I will never give that bozo credit for wasting ten years and Carey Price’s prime.

Missing on Chucky, Drouin, and Kotkaniemi is far worse than drafting Caufield who fell onto his lap.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
This is true. I wanted Marc Bergevin gone, and I don't think he was a good GM. That said, Marc Bergevin was not an idiot. I don't like a lot of the decisions he made, and contracts he gave out. But at the same time he was able to spot some really good players. He would be an asset to have in a team's brass just maybe he should not have been the main guy.

Yeah, he was a rookie GM that didn’t have the full skill set to be a good GM.

Caufield slipped down the rankings. Not sure what you want me to say. I will never give that bozo credit for wasting ten years and Carey Price’s prime.

Missing on Chucky, Drouin, and Kotkaniemi is far worse than drafting Caufield who fell onto his lap.

Great, you prove me point.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Yeah, he was a rookie GM that didn’t have the full skill set to be a good GM.

Well, he wasn't a rookie after being our GM for 9 years. He did some really bad stuff. But at the same time, I think he had an eye for certain kinds of talent. I don't think he is ever meant to be a GM.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sorry but NS is a legit 1c and MB did acquire him.
At the time of trade Suzuki was a prospect in the CHL nowhere to an established NHLer.

We all know that NHL Centres are not easily available and it would be hard to find them even on PlayStation, isn’t that right?

Reactions: the

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
This is true. I wanted Marc Bergevin gone, and I don't think he was a good GM. That said, Marc Bergevin was not an idiot. I don't like a lot of the decisions he made, and contracts he gave out. But at the same time he was able to spot some really good players. He would be an asset to have in a team's brass just maybe he should not have been the main guy.

Perfectly said, he wasn’t ready to be the top dog.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
One can give a GM credit for whatever his good moves were but also stare he was an awful GM. It’s called being objective.
And objectively a GM doesn't deserve credit for who gets drafted picks because outside a top 3-5 pick they have virtually no input. So if we are being objective Timmins deserves the credit.

And the video I provided earlier shows it in detail.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Well, he wasn't a rookie after being our GM for 9 years. He did some really bad stuff. But at the same time, I think he had an eye for certain kinds of talent. I don't think he is ever meant to be a GM.

It was his first GM job and he should have not lasted 9 yrs. He wasn’t ready for the job.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
At the time of trade Suzuki was a prospect in the CHL nowhere to an established NHLer.

We all know that NHL Centres are not easily available and it would be hard to find them even on PlayStation, isn’t that right?

He traded Patch and got a 1c. Sorry, you can’t handle that but it’s a fact.

I don't think he would ever be ready. I just don't think he is that guy. But I do think there were things he was good at.

We agree

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

Not a fan of Bergevin but I had once studied the players drafted from 11-30 through the years. Drafting a player like Caufield where he was drafted is as rare as Haley’s Comet.

Why? Because these are players that are on the map and over-scouted by everyone. Usually big First round mistakes will slip to 4, 6 or 7… You will then find an under-scouted superstar in the later rounds. Caufield is an outlier.

Reactions: ReHabs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And where did that lead us exactly ? If we tanked, we could've added a few more top players to play with Price all his career.

They didn't necessarily have to tank at that specific time because of the grand slam draft they had in 07. Their top 4 prospects within two years of Price's draft had become price, mcondaugh, Pacioretty, and subban. That is as good as it can get.

And given the on ice results right after the draft, I can't see how any GM would be able to sell their owner on a tear down. Remember, this was a time of extremely high expectations, and even tsn had the Habs going to the final for 08/09.

Now granted, they ended up gutting the core anyways before the 09/10 season, and perhaps that was the time to take a more patient approach rather than going for cammalleri, gionta, Gomez etc...., but not before that.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I hate that every journalist out there are trying to find someone to get off the line up for Edmundson's return and the only names they talk about are Guhle, Kovacevic, Harris and Xhakej.

Since when did Wideman secure his role in our top6 whilst being the worst by far dman on our team? The solution seems kind of easy to me, Wideman is the only guy that you can take out right now.

LDs : Guhle, Harris, Xhakej, Eddy, Matheson
RDs : Savard, Kovacevic, Wideman.

Move Eddy to the Right since he's more of a stay at home D with experience, next to Harris it would be a damn good pairing imo if Eddy is comfortable. If not, just go with Harris on the right side he already did it before.

Harris - Edmundson
Guhle - Savard
Xhakej - Kovacevic

It's way better than anything else with Wideman in there.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There’s also evidence that Arber gave Okposo a little message.

I'm not sure what free ride there has been. I remember mantha giving him an elbow to the head during a scrum back in game 3 or so.

It's not new, and Guhle doesn't back down from it either.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Great effort against a really physical team! All around entertaining game, Susy and Caufield pushing the play Slaf keeps proving he belongs Dvo with a Hatty! Jake made some big stops at the end! Caufield looks more and more like Cournoyer, gets knocked down and bounces right up and goes right back after it, really impressive!!!
Yeah I have been think Cournoyer for a while too.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, if it's a 3 years contract, OK, whatever. No more than this. Monahan is a mirage.
If (Touch wood Jinx killed) Monahan says healthy this year he will win the masterton. But you still have to trade him even then.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure what free ride there has been. I remember mantha giving him an elbow to the head during a scrum back in game 3 or so.

It's not new, and Guhle doesn't back down from it either.
When you’re in a first pairing role, you’re as prominent as can be. There is no below the radar however, Guhle can handle himself.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I see some people in this thread are waking up to the Maestro's magnificence. Good.

One day, the majority will see his reign for what it was: A masterpiece.

We'll get there eventually. Until then...

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I have been think Cournoyer for a while too.
Cournoyer was built like an ox, though. His lower body strength was legendary, as described in Ken Dryden’s book, The Game. And he could fly like few others in his era, as well as play a power game.

Of course, both Cournoyer and Caufield rank among the shortest players in Habs history so people are naturally inclined to draw parallels.

I hate comparables, especially from eras so far removed. So, they’re both short and they both have had a Habs jersey on but there are just too many variances for me to draw a parallel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad