Post-Game Talk: No post-game blues in St-Louis. Only hats, wings, and wins. Habs win 7-4

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah it's going to happen what matters is the bounce back. So next game will be important for him and I have faith he will come back strong. It also no doubt helps that we won the game.
He did a lot of good things after his major gaffe. He wasn't butt ugly horrible like our D of old would get.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
C32E8E49-80BC-4E72-A5B1-E70232006309.jpeg

As I said before season started I expect lots of points distribution with the division this year - Bruins will come back to the herd as they start playing more divisional games

Habs will finish 11-17 OA

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well he did seem to be here for an eternity and there is no denying it was like hell the majority of the time. :sarcasm:
Can't argue with this.
With every passing day the Bergevin regime looks worse and worse.
Hughes will eventually jettison the AHL coaching staff too.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Can't argue with this.
With every passing day the Bergevin regime looks worse and worse.
Hughes will eventually jettison the AHL coaching staff too.

I can't agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship Bergevin by any means, but every passing day we see the likes of Guhle, Harris, Suzuki, Caufield and even Xhekaj vet better and better. This is his legacy. And whether you like it or not, he was the GM when we went to the SC finals. Overall bad, for sure, but there is many bright spots.

Reactions: rik schau

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can't agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship Bergevin by any means, but every passing day we see the likes of Guhle, Harris, Suzuki, Caufield and even Xhekaj vet better and better. This is his legacy. And whether you like it or not, he was the GM when we went to the SC finals. Overall bad, for sure, but there is many bright spots.

His legacy will always be sitting on his hands and tinkering with the window dressing while wasting the prime of one of the best goalies we've ever seen.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I watched the Blues cast, and it was wonderful. There was not a single betting ad in any of it. This is a Canadian phenomenon only. American channels aren't doing this crap.
Yeah... the relentless commercials for online betting are really getting to me. They're cheap and gimmicky, and I find it offensive. There must be a middle-ground between free expression and shamelessly exploiting an addiction.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His legacy started with hiring Michel Therien and Sylvain LeFebvre.
His legacy of drafting and developing cannot be ignored.
Evans, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk, Kotkaniemi, Romanov were the only NHL players up until Caufield and Guhle. He did good with the Xhekaj find.
His legacy is signing players like Alzner and Hoffman.
His legacy was the disrespect he showed Andrei Markov.
His legacy is not allowing the Habs alumni around the players.
His legacy is also the nepotism he created by hiring and refusing to fire his buddies.
His legacy was being dumb enough to hand out irresponsible contracts to aging players who were clearly past their prime. You don't reward players for what they did, you reward them for future performance and longevity.

Bergevin did a few good things (even a blind squirel finds an occasional nut) but Marc Bergevin was bad GM.

That's his legacy.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I know Dvorak had the hat trick last night, but what a f***ing vanilla player. Every time he gets on the ice I tell myself it's time to go take a piss or grab something from the fridge.

I honestly don't see him with this team long term.

I know it's weird to post this after his hat trick, but I think they can get something of value for him at the trade deadline, do it. Especially if they can recoup that first rounder back.

Reactions: bsl

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
His legacy will be nearly a decade of bad hockey, wasted potential, and awful player development.

There is no legacy to speak of, actually. At the very end of his tenure there remained prospects that he didn't get a chance to ruin with his bad coaches, okay so what? Every team in the league has prospects, every team in the league makes draft picks. Bergevin was bad at picking and bad at developing them - the results don't lie.\

Even if Guhle & Co succeed, Bergevin's hit-rate was and will be abysmal and low.

Note that Harris didn't even want to sign with the Habs until Bergevin left.

His legacy will always be sitting on his hands and tinkering with the window dressing while wasting the prime of one of the best goalies we've ever seen.
You mean trading for Andreas Martinsen, Dwight King, and Steve Ott wasn't enough to push the low-scoring Habs over the edge?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I missed last night's game and barely saw any of the Buffalo game. Never ending plans almost every night, and none of them include hockey fans. It's tough being so popular...

Seriously, how did Slafkovsky look? Nice goal, but is he looking more confident?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I know Dvorak had the hat trick last night, but what a f***ing vanilla player. Every time he gets on the ice I tell myself it's time to go take a piss or grab something from the fridge.

I honestly don't see him with this team long term.

I know it's weird to post this after his hat trick, but I think they can get something of value for him at the trade deadline, do it. Especially if they can recoup that first rounder back.
From yesterday’s The Athletic article i suggest reading…
“He’s got great awareness on the ice, on both sides of the puck,” St. Louis said earlier this week. “To me, he balances the ice really well, defensively and offensively. Very rarely he’ll be the guy duplicating a job. That’s important on both sides of the puck.”

If you don’t know by now, St. Louis citing a player’s “awareness” is just about the best compliment he can give. Because to St. Louis, awareness is the key to playing hockey, being able to recognize situations on the ice and reacting appropriately to them. When he says Dvorak is not duplicating a job, that is high praise.
There will be high market demand for Dvorak (combination of players 3C abilities + very manageable contract / AAV)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
For those who want so sign Monahan, go check the Calgary board see how they're all subconsciously panicking at how doomed their cap situation and future really is, as Huberdeau is not delivering on its promise at age 30 on a 8 years 10.5M contract.

Holy shit do I rather avoid such situations.

He has 5 pts in 7 games, but yeah, he needs to pick it up and I expect he will. Still Huberdeau and Kadri are some big long term contracts to aging players.

They got a great deal on Kadri, so frankly, the pair as paid are fine.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
For those who want so sign Monahan, go check the Calgary board see how they're all subconsciously panicking at how doomed their cap situation and future really is, as Huberdeau is not delivering on its promise at age 30 on a 8 years 10.5M contract.

Holy shit do I rather avoid such situations.
Are you implying that if the Habs were to sign Monahan that it would be an 8 year 8M type contract????
First I have heard anything remotely close to that on here when talking about keeping Monahan.
And you better believe that the second Hughes and Gorton feel this team is close, they will be cashing in to land big fish. They have already alluded to this in interviews. (and Monahan is not a big fish)
There are times you sell assets and there are times you acquire.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I missed last night's game and barely saw any of the Buffalo game. Never ending plans almost every night, and none of them include hockey fans. It's tough being so popular...

Seriously, how did Slafkovsky look? Nice goal, but is he looking more confident?

Only played 10 minutes again, but started to use his size & reach more in this one. He was a handful for Blues to manage.

His goal was on PP off a nice one-timer.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Cool to see Montreal win,didn't look like it would happen. Such a sloppy game all around but to pull it out is a positive sign.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
His legacy will be nearly a decade of bad hockey, wasted potential, and awful player development.

There is no legacy to speak of, actually. At the very end of his tenure there remained prospects that he didn't get a chance to ruin with his bad coaches, okay so what? Every team in the league has prospects, every team in the league makes draft picks. Bergevin was bad at picking and bad at developing them - the results don't lie.\

Even if Guhle & Co succeed, Bergevin's hit-rate was and will be abysmal and low.

Note that Harris didn't even want to sign with the Habs until Bergevin left.

You mean trading for Andreas Martinsen, Dwight King, and Steve Ott wasn't enough to push the low-scoring Habs over the edge?
This is exactly what I hate here, people mostly talk about the negative. I did say he wasn't a good GM overall. You still gotta give credit where credit is due. He did draft those guys, no one else did. He did turn Galchenyuk into Anderson. He did sign Toffoli and he did brought us to the cup. No one else did that for a while and that's something. Never said he was the greatest, but I did appreciate a lot the finals run and it was under Bergevin.

Also, stop acting like he could've signed superstars, there's litteraly no one who wants to come here. We have to develop our own stars. Yes he and Timmins did pick like shit for most of his tenure, but I'm pretty sure Molson didn't want him to rebuild like HuGo is doing right now.

• Love
Reactions: BenchBrawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad