no owner should take home more than the single highest paid player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Epsilon said:
To be fair, a lot of cap-and-revenue-sharing proposals are pretty close to communism themselves. Even more horrifying an idea than a hard cap is the suggestion that fans in one city should be paying part of their ticket prices to give to another team so they can sign players and directly compete with the team they are paying to see. Thankfully I don't think either side has tabled a marxist revenue sharing plan along the lines of what some fans want to see.

Why would you not be willing to pay to watch an out of town team? Would you rather just watch your home team practise/scrimmage?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Crosbyfan said:
Why would you not be willing to pay to watch an out of town team? Would you rather just watch your home team practise/scrimmage?

That argument carries no weight because it applies equally to every team. What I am saying is that there is no way the fans of teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Colorado, etc., who pack the building every night, should see some of the money they spend on their tickets going to Chicago, Carolina, and Boston who can't break 10000 a night.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Epsilon said:
That argument carries no weight because it applies equally to every team. What I am saying is that there is no way the fans of teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit, Colorado, etc., who pack the building every night, should see some of the money they spend on their tickets going to Chicago, Carolina, and Boston who can't break 10000 a night.
That's pretty much what the owners are saying, right? They don't mind using some non-gate-receipt revenues from TV or advertising to pay into a little revenue sharing pool, but they (they = teams that do ok) don't want to pay anything out from their gate receipts, and they want to minimize the revenue sharing aspect of the new CBA. By contrast, the NHLPA would like to expand on revenue sharing, because while the rich teams will always spend, it would help their case to see the poorer teams have a few extra $ to throw around too.

The only argument for revenue sharing of gate receipts is the one whereby you say the visiting team somehow deserves part of the take, because some people are more likely to pay to come and see that particular visiting team than they would be to see another. But that's just a rich-get-richer scenario, mostly, since the most popular out-of-town draws are usually teams that are doing fine themselves, and nobody wants to pay to watch Carolina or Florida as a visiting team either. Meanwhile, the Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, etc franchises are going to sell out the building regardless of whether it's Carolina or Colorado coming to town.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
DementedReality said:
maybe im not clear ?

we dont tell the sales manager for BC that he cant have a raise because we have a salary cap. we pay him what is fair for his position and his experiance and we arent forced to let him go to the competition if this amount doesnt fit under an artficial barrier.

i think we are off topic now.

dr

this is an interesting point and i'll agree to the point that a place of business shouldn't have to give up someone just because they don't fit under an artificial cap, however would your place of employment keep handing out raises if revenue streams got smaller and smaller?

my guess is no, because as most owners do they want to turn a profit and wouldn't give someone a raise if it meant going in the red or even lower in the black. if you could prove otherwise i think we'd all be very interested to hear.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Epsilon said:

Yes it should because there is no league without the weaker teams. Toronto doesnt have a game to play if there is only Toronto in the league.
Sorry I haven't read all of the posts in this thread but I am wondering if you are totally against revenue sharing of gate recieipts or just sharing between 2 teams who are not in close competition with each other relatively.

Brent Burns Beard