no owner should take home more than the single highest paid player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Seachd said:
How difficult is it to understand that Bettman is working for the owners? They're behind him. Why is it so hard to accept that?

I wouldn't be so sure they're all behind him. All he needs is 8 to agree with him. If I'm Ed Snider, of course I'm going to support Bettman publically. I have no vote as long as the Carolina's and Nashville's have a disporportionate amount of power, so why should I risk being fined $1 million?

Jazz

DementedReality said:
....if i was a player i would be pissed at the owners. especially if i was on a team that was making a mega profit (like TOR and VAN)....
Since when are the people who have a financial stake in the industry not allowed to make a profit? It does not matter that half a dozen or so teams are in the current situation - the point of the matter is that the entire industry is in the red.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
hockeytown9321 said:
I wouldn't be so sure they're all behind him. All he needs is 8 to agree with him. If I'm Ed Snider, of course I'm going to support Bettman publically. I have no vote as long as the Carolina's and Nashville's have a disporportionate amount of power, so why should I risk being fined $1 million?

It took at least a majority vote to give him that right, and if enough owners disagree with him now, they can vote to accept a CBA that Bettman does not recommend.

If a majority of owners disagree with the job Bettman is doing, they can also vote to get rid of him (he may have a contract where it requires 2/3rds majority to remove him, but I doubt it).

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
djhn579 said:
It took at least a majority vote to give him that right, and if a majority of owners disagree with him now, they can vote to accept a CBA that Bettman does not recommend.

If a majority of owners disagree with the job Bettman is doing, they can also vote to get rid of him (he may have a contract where it requires 2/3rds majority to remove him, but I doubt it).

yeah, they agreed to it. I don't know how many would knowing waht they know now.

yeah, they can veto him, but it takes a 75% majority. As long as 8 owners side with Bettman, nobody can do anything.

I'm willing to be there were at least a handul of owners who could have lived with the NHLPA's last proposal.

Gary

Street Hawk said:
The owners are ticked off because back in 1999 they approached the union about redoing the last CBA. The Players, well within their rights because it was a legal agreement that wasn't set to expire yet, said no. What's happened in the 5 years since is that the owners have lost hundreds of millions of dollars, even if you go by Forbes numbers.

So, now they are dead set on ensuring that they don't lose any more money.

What I have found amusing in all this is that guys like Kypreos and Healy expected the big money owners in Toronto, New York, Detroit, and Philly to be able to convince the small market owners to just tweak the PA's last offer. Why, would a small market owner, the ones who have lost a lot of money, ever agree to a deal that works very similar to the last one.

The owners are pissed because in 99 they wanted to correct problems and the NHLPA had them over a barrel and knew it-so refused any significant changes. Why did the NHLPA have the owners over a barrel?? Because the owners wanted the NHL up and running for the olympics...The owners wanted hockey no matter what then and the NHLPA knew this full well. Guess what boys?? That aint the case this time around...and to think some said it was because the NHLPA was SO STRONG :joker:

Hockey_Nut99

The owners have been getting screwed for almost 10 years by these players. It's time for the tables to change. A new era is forthcoming. If they don't like it, go pump some gas or go to University.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
DementedReality said:

why should one owner make more money than any player ? what has he done to deserve it ? put up money ? ok, thats why he he gets paid as if he was actually the #1 player in the league. .

you think hockey owes Bill Wirtz more than it owes a Steve Yzerman ?

when the owners can formulate their "cost certainty" plan to guarantee this, then they might be on to something.

Yes, I believe owners deserve a reasonable return on their equity. Many investors strive for a 15% YIELD annually. On 150 million, thats 22.5 million,and I don't think anyone need be paid that much as an employee, be they a surgeon, grave digger or hockey player, no matter how specialized and unique they may be. The only person who deserves to make that much money is OPRAH.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Street Hawk said:
The owners are ticked off because back in 1999 they approached the union about redoing the last CBA. The Players, well within their rights because it was a legal agreement that wasn't set to expire yet, said no. What's happened in the 5 years since is that the owners have lost hundreds of millions of dollars, even if you go by Forbes numbers.

Brian Burke admited if the results of the last deal were reversed and it was the players who felt really hard done by, the owners would NOT have agreed to change the terms of the deal midway either.

You are welcome to listen to the Burke / Ferraro exchange on the Dan Russel audio vault

dr

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Let's keep in mind that the great majority of NHL teams don't have "an owner." Most are owned by either a corporation (i.e. Philly, Rangers,) or a group of ionvestors headed by a chairman (i.e. Chicago, Phoenix).
So, in reality, with these teams there's no big fat cat raking in or losing big bucks. Any profits are distributed amongst a group of shareholders.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
CarlRacki said:
Let's keep in mind that the great majority of NHL teams don't have "an owner." Most are owned by either a corporation (i.e. Philly, Rangers,) or a group of ionvestors headed by a chairman (i.e. Chicago, Phoenix).
So, in reality, with these teams there's no big fat cat raking in or losing big bucks. Any profits are distributed amongst a group of shareholders.

IF i OWN 10% of a team, and that's 15 million of my hard earned greenbacks at work, I want my return on my money the same as I do from any other business venture.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Bring Back Bucky said:
IF i OWN 10% of a team, and that's 15 million of my hard earned greenbacks at work, I want my return on my money the same as I do from any other business venture.

Yes, I agree. I'm trying to dispel the notion that this lockout is about just a few rich guys wanting to get richer. It's about a group of corporations trying to improve what for most has been a lackluster, or negative, return on their investment.

YellHockey*

Bring Back Bucky said:

Most people invest in stocks for the capital gain not the dividends. The values of NHL franchises have constantly risen just like the stock market.

edmontonoilers89

Dec 29, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
DementedReality said:

why should one owner make more money than any player ? what has he done to deserve it ? put up money ? ok, thats why he he gets paid as if he was actually the #1 player in the league. .

when the owners can formulate their "cost certainty" plan to guarantee this, then they might be on to something.

This is a joke. Go back to your owner or boss and tell them they only deserve what you're making.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
BlackRedGold said:
Most people invest in stocks for the capital gain not the dividends. The values of NHL franchises have constantly risen just like the stock market.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement at all, most of the people I deal with (yes, for a living) want a combination of tax-preferred income as well as tax deferred and preferred growth. Price/earnings ratios mean a great deal to most high net worth individuals. As well, NHL franchises were ridiculously trendy through the nineties. I'm not convinced the market would reflect a steady growth over the past ten years. Also " constantly risen just like the stock market" is a statement that may be a bit too broad to be accurate. If you want to give me your address, I could send you an Andex chart that would show that "constant rising" occurs in very few sectors of any stock market.

Hockey_Nut99

DementedReality said:

No disrespect but that was such a screwed up post. An OWNER has the right to make as much money as he/she can. That's so stupid. That's like saying my family cannot make mroe than any of our employees.What an insane idea

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
DementedReality said:

May I inquire as to what your job is? Do you make more than your employer? Hey, here's an idea, the next time you go into work, tell your boss you demand that you make as much money as him.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
puck you said:
Yeah, the hell with entrepeneurs! They only boost our economy and provide jobs for everyone, who the hell needs them? Why reward people for working hard, and being successful? :shakehead

You're threads are a complete joke. Seriously, I think you need to take a step back, and look at what you're posting.

The owners have created multi-million dollar businesses, by being shrewd and successful businessmen, thats an accomplishment, and they've earned the profits they generate from their various other enterprises. As far as NHL hockey is concerned, without owners you don't have teams, without teams you don't have players. And its the same way vice versa.

So, the owners should make as much as the highest paid player, and still be able to afford building costs, player costs, advertising costs, travel costs, and other various costs they must cover to run a professional sports team? I'd love you to show me a budget that an owner could work with if he was making 10 million a year. :speechles

You don't get it. The owners CAN make a profit in this industry, but the most common way of doing so these days is by having a less than stellar hockey club. Even so, by doing business that way some teams have still been able to have successful years on the ice. See Minnesota of two years ago and Tampa Bay and Calgary of last year. Of course having success by that method is not ideal and hasnt been sustained for many years by any teams. So I conclude that point by saying that teams can make a profit in today's NHL but not in a way that is best for the game and for the fans.

And as a side point how would you like to be a fan of the Arizona Cardinals or the San Diego Chargers (though finally having a good season this year) or the Cincinati Bengals. All three of these teams have been consistently terrible for over a decade. Their owners are clearly more intersted in making profits than winning championships as they have all done very little in signing free agents and making significant changes to bolster their rosters over that time period. The fans of these teams are clearly being cheated. And this would occur in the NHL too if it had a system really close to the NFL's. Owners should be in the league for sport not for profit, like the RSL and European Soccer, though those leagues could benefit from a little spending restraint.

That being said, their is a big problem with the NHL right now, especially with economics. And a big part of the economic problem has to do with the way the game is played on the ice. Their needs to be a fixing of the system but, in general, people need to tune out from all the rhetoric being tossed around and figure out what is really important to this game of hockey. Forget taking sides, just figure out what is really fair and how it should be before you share your thoughts.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
dangler19 said:
You don't get it. The owners CAN make a profit in this industry, but the most common way of doing so these days is by having a less than stellar hockey club. Even so, by doing business that way some teams have still been able to have successful years on the ice. See Minnesota of two years ago and Tampa Bay and Calgary of last year. Of course having success by that method is not ideal and hasnt been sustained for many years by any teams. So I conclude that point by saying that teams can make a profit in today's NHL but not in a way that is best for the game and for the fans.

And as a side point how would you like to be a fan of the Arizona Cardinals or the San Diego Chargers (though finally having a good season this year) or the Cincinati Bengals. All three of these teams have been consistently terrible for over a decade. Their owners are clearly more intersted in making profits than winning championships as they have all done very little in signing free agents and making significant changes to bolster their rosters over that time period. The fans of these teams are clearly being cheated. And this would occur in the NHL too if it had a system really close to the NFL's. Owners should be in the league for sport not for profit, like the RSL and European Soccer, though those leagues could benefit from a little spending restraint.
That being said, their is a big problem with the NHL right now, especially with economics. And a big part of the economic problem has to do with the way the game is played on the ice. Their needs to be a fixing of the system but, in general, people need to tune out from all the rhetoric being tossed around and figure out what is really important to this game of hockey. Forget taking sides, just figure out what is really fair and how it should be before you share your thoughts.

Professional Sports is a business, if you think otherwise, you're clearly naive. The same can be said against players, and that they shouldn't demand so much money, and ask for raises when teams like EDM can't afford them, they should just play for the love of the game, using your logic. ;)

Brent Burns Beard