Blow this team up already!

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
well the good news is if we buy out every player on the leafs, signed prospects included we only have $32,168,684

View attachment 856618

That’s our line up with 18.5 million to add 3 D and a goalie.

That’s plenty of room. Ideally we would try to get rid of Jarnkrok and Kampf.
That would give us 22.5 million to add 2 forwards 3 D and a goalie.

It really is plenty of room. To try to recoup picks.

If Marner wants to move on (unlikely) we let him.
does Leafs Nation bully him till he waives his NTC? if we get eliminated again in the 1st round and Marner is a nonfactor

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Rielly over Matthews ? Rielly is at best a second pairing dman on a cup contender. Can’t run a PP. Average at best defensively. I like the guy but the player is totally overrated.
What is this?

Some context here:

I am not a teenager.

I am not fickle.

I like things that you don't like.

______

I like Rielly. He's a good player.
This takes nothing away from Matthews.

I like the color red.
I do not like the color orange.

You're going to have to deal with that.

Reactions: arso40

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Rielly over Matthews ? Rielly is at best a second pairing dman on a cup contender. Can’t run a PP. Average at best defensively. I like the guy but the player is totally overrated.
Facts.

Reactions: Ports

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
When you crown entitled kids as the kings of the city this is what you get. Say what you want about Babs, but he was the only person with Lou who tried to keep them on line.

Dubler Dubas and his soft aproach caused even more problems. Sheldon was castrated and couldn't send a message to players, because Dubas didn't allow him to do so. Now it's too late for him to change his ways.

The real problem and main villain is Shanahan. He decided to promote Dubas and dump Lou. Lou was a dinosaur, but it was too early to fire him. His work establishing a great team culture wasn't ready yet.

Leafs main problem is that they're player orientainted not team orientainted. Think of Florida, Boston, Canes or Vegas. It's is always about the TEAM, not a single player. You never hear that anybody to say that Slavin or Aho / Eichel or Theodore need to carry the team. Like you hear every day how Matthews needs to do x, z and y.

Fire Shanahan, Treveling and Co. Hire someone with huge balls that will buyout Nylander, dump captain silent to the moon and trade Marner to Utah. Spend next two years to clean this mess and try to find and draft players who will create and build a team culture where it's all about the Maple Leafs and nothing more. If Matthews won't want to be part of that then trade him.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Buy-out Nylander? That's actually not feasible, we'd be crippled.

Tavares has one year, just gotta wait that one out.

What they do with Mitch is a really interesting question to watch.

Reactions: arso40 and HolyCrap

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Matthews and Nylander aren’t going anywhere but my guess is Marner and Tavares won’t be around after next season. The 2025-26 season is when the real rebuild will begin with a lot of cap space available. It wouldn’t bother me to see Rielly traded as he’s not a first pairing dman on a cup contender but being paid like one. It will be interesting to see if they can trade Marner this off season. He’s clearly not worth what he’ll be asking for on his next contract and doesn’t seem cut out for the Toronto market.

Did you see the winning goal ?

I agree, I think the name of the game is to reduce their spend, losing JT and Mitch means you lose about 55 - 60 goals.

With Cowan and Easton on the horizon, the ability to replace highly priced "vets" with prospects has never been more likely IMO. Ideally Marner would waive his NTC/NMC and we get something back from him but my sense is he is a spoiled entitled brat that would rather be spiteful and not waive his negotiated NMC/NTC and leave for nothing as a F U to the Leafs organisation.

Moldenhauer is another prospect that is interesting to me. I think Cowan and Easton have a legit chance to be pro's in the next 2 to 3 years, they should be good for 10 goals each in their 1st year. Niemela should be able to replace Lily.

Robertson seems to finally be pushing for a 2nd/3rd line role but needs to work on his decision making and defensive game., he should be good for 20 to 25 goals a year, which is a bump of 5 to 10 goals on this years production.

JT and Marner make almost 22 mil on the cap, I think the Leafs can get some really outstanding players for $7 to $9 mil each to replace them and reshape the type of team this is going to be. Domi comes back at lets say $5 mil, he replaces Mitch. There are 8 UFA's who scored 25 or more goals, some can be had for the 7 to 9 mil range.

Reactions: Ports

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I was hoping "Playoff Reilly" was going to be a thing....but it looks like it was more Vasi not seeing those shots from the blueline last year than it was Reilly stepping up and becoming a real difference maker in the playoffs.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The team is poorly constructed but I wouldn’t blow it up. It’s a perennial first round exit playoff team that needs to hit a home run when Tavares’ cap space becomes available. Providing the G, D, and C, are available at that time and they don’t blow it, there’s an opportunity for a good 3 year cup window to open up.

Reactions: authentic

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

This is an insanely bad take... he was part of the best pairing in the playoffs last year and was 11th in scoring during the regular season.

He has a terrible D playing beside him and is still putting up a GF% of 100% and xGF% of 68% on that pairing.

If you're second pair D is putting up those numbers, you should be doing pretty well.

Ghost is a great PP QB, sign someone like him, but not being the best PP player doesn't mean you aren't a #1.

Rielly is an average #1, he is likely in the 15-20 range for all D, your take is bad.

Would love to see your list of ~60 D that are better.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
You guys really really want to go back to the days where our leading scorer was a 50 point guy and we were out of the playoffs by December, don't you? And then we'd find out we're drafting 7th, so more time in hockey purgatory hoping to hit on the next overlooked surprise...
Who gives a f*** about 70 goals if you're gna be an abject failure in the playoffs. I'm not talking about Matthews. I'm saying none of that shit matters. Being shit and being a good regular season team means nothing to me. It's cup or bust as it should be for every.single.team.

Playoffsareoverrated

Jan 23, 2021
Espoo, Finalnd
Who gives a f*** about 70 goals if you're gna be an abject failure in the playoffs. I'm not talking about Matthews. I'm saying none of that shit matters. Being shit and being a good regular season team means nothing to me. It's cup or bust as it should be for every.single.team.
In a matter of fact, almost nobody cares about the postseason though. My boy Auston scoring 60 in the regular season is much more important than some pointless postseason success. We should have a different league system such as soccer's, where only the real regular season matters. Then, every game counts, and not this stupid luck in a couple of games.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
In a matter of fact, almost nobody cares about the postseason though. My boy Auston scoring 60 in the regular season is much more important than some pointless postseason success. We should have a different league system such as soccer's, where only the real regular season matters. Then, every game counts, and not this stupid luck in a couple of games.
Said no one ever.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You can’t be serious.

Reactions: colchar

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I like your user name.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
When you crown entitled kids as the kings of the city this is what you get. Say what you want about Babs, but he was the only person with Lou who tried to keep them on line.

Dubler Dubas and his soft aproach caused even more problems. Sheldon was castrated and couldn't send a message to players, because Dubas didn't allow him to do so. Now it's too late for him to change his ways.

The real problem and main villain is Shanahan. He decided to promote Dubas and dump Lou. Lou was a dinosaur, but it was too early to fire him. His work establishing a great team culture wasn't ready yet.

Leafs main problem is that they're player orientainted not team orientainted. Think of Florida, Boston, Canes or Vegas. It's is always about the TEAM, not a single player. You never hear that anybody to say that Slavin or Aho / Eichel or Theodore need to carry the team. Like you hear every day how Matthews needs to do x, z and y.

Fire Shanahan, Treveling and Co. Hire someone with huge balls that will buyout Nylander, dump captain silent to the moon and trade Marner to Utah. Spend next two years to clean this mess and try to find and draft players who will create and build a team culture where it's all about the Maple Leafs and nothing more. If Matthews won't want to be part of that then trade him.

Lou signed a 38 year old Patrick Marleau to 6 million a year for 3 years, and that was 7 years ago.

Reactions: colchar

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I genuinely cant detect if this is sarcasm or not LOL

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
I agree, I think the name of the game is to reduce their spend, losing JT and Mitch means you lose about 55 - 60 goals.

With Cowan and Easton on the horizon, the ability to replace highly priced "vets" with prospects has never been more likely IMO. Ideally Marner would waive his NTC/NMC and we get something back from him but my sense is he is a spoiled entitled brat that would rather be spiteful and not waive his negotiated NMC/NTC and leave for nothing as a F U to the Leafs organisation.

Moldenhauer is another prospect that is interesting to me. I think Cowan and Easton have a legit chance to be pro's in the next 2 to 3 years, they should be good for 10 goals each in their 1st year. Niemela should be able to replace Lily.

Robertson seems to finally be pushing for a 2nd/3rd line role but needs to work on his decision making and defensive game., he should be good for 20 to 25 goals a year, which is a bump of 5 to 10 goals on this years production.

JT and Marner make almost 22 mil on the cap, I think the Leafs can get some really outstanding players for $7 to $9 mil each to replace them and reshape the type of team this is going to be. Domi comes back at lets say $5 mil, he replaces Mitch. There are 8 UFA's who scored 25 or more goals, some can be had for the 7 to 9 mil range.
By Easton you mean Minten?

Reactions: Hellcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad