Post-Game Talk: No OT Luck - Jets Lose Game 2 - 5-4 (2OT)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
A somewhat rhetorical question: if we lost the 1st game and won the 2nd and got the split, how would we feel about that today?

I'm happy with the bigger picture result in Nashville, where the goal was to break serve. Now they need to get down to business at home where they control the matchups, and drive a stake into Nashville before the series heads back to their home turf.

That's ultimately my take from the last 2 games. Earning the split is huge. What bothers me is that they played well enough to win against a _very_ suspect Rinne, and the blown coverages/bad decisions on the GWG.

Reactions: kxx

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
One guy on Twitter, let's throw a party lol. I would say that goal wasn't entirely his fault though. The other one was entirely his fault though lol.

Still can't believe Hendricks just skated off mid play. At the very least he should have been yelling at the bench for someone to get on.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcCe5orVQAEUQrk.jpg
One guy on twitter....yeah.

Hendricks made an inexplicable read but I find it funny how much focus is put on that and not the piss poor play made by Roslo. They were both terrible but it ruins the narrative to mention Roslo.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
One guy on twitter....yeah.

Hendricks made an inexplicable read but I find it funny how much focus is put on that and not the piss poor play made by Roslo. They were both terrible but it ruins the narrative to mention Roslo.

Toby saved a goal on Fiala in overtime. He definitely got walked by RyJo on the 4th Preds goal, but the criticism on the OT goal is undeserved.

and I haven't heard much talk of Hellebuyck's super slide putting himself out of position, allowing Fiala to just put it in the middle of the net on a breakaway. Helle should have had the 3rd goal too.

Other quality bloopers for me: Myers on PP. Myers in any situation, really. Chiarot channelling Mark Stuart on goal 3.

All that said, Hendricks has no business in the NHL, let alone in the playoffs and even worse in double overtime. Blaming Hendricks for goals against is like blaming me for goals against - a coach stupid enough to play either of us beer leaguers deserves 100% of the blame.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Toby saved a goal on Fiala in overtime. He definitely got walked by RyJo on the 4th Preds goal, but the criticism on the OT goal is undeserved.

and I haven't heard much talk of Hellebuyck's super slide putting himself out of position, allowing Fiala to just put it in the middle of the net on a breakaway. Helle should have had the 3rd goal too.

Other quality bloopers for me: Myers on PP. Myers in any situation, really. Chiarot channelling Mark Stuart on goal 3.
All I could yell on that PP to start the 3rd was "WTF Myers, get off the ice"!

I know Helle has been fantastic, but he really didn't come up big at all last night.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Haha ignored the obvious point he made. Tanev in the same boat as Hendricks for being labelled bad all year. Right up until the start of round one.

Hendricks hurt way more than help yesterday but it's not usually that way. I'm assuming Armia is injured but I may be wrong on that assumption?

Other than that there’s not much comparison between the two. Tanev can skate and is getting better with experience, Hendricks is just a waste.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

All that said, Hendricks has no business in the NHL, let alone in the playoffs and even worse in double overtime. Blaming Hendricks for goals against is like blaming me for goals against - a coach stupid enough to play either of us beer leaguers deserves 100% of the blame.
Helle wasn't his best last night, agreed he should have had the 3rd goal.

As for the bolded, that wasn't a breakaway, it was a two on one. Helle has to slide over on that play, that goal is 0% his fault. There are many people to blame for it but not him. Buff can't let that pass get through and sloppy play at the blueline leads to a two on one.

I have no idea what you expect him to do on that play, if he doesn't slide over Fiala one touches it into the net, it's an almost impossible play for a goalie when a two on one goes across the crease both ways in that short of a time frame.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Other than that there’s not much comparison between the two. Tanev can skate and is getting better with experience, Hendricks is just a waste.

I mean he's our 15th guy on the depth chart, what are we expecting? He rarely helps much but he hardly ever makes a big mistake. Last night was a costly but rare exception the way I see it.

He wont be playing when Perreault gets back and we can both agree that will be a big boost to the team

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good news is Hellebuyck has an impressive "bounce back game" record after letting in 4+ goals. I think that early goal may have threw him off his game a tad. Also if I was Nashville, Pekka Rinne flailing around like a catfish on ice like he did at times wouldn't instill me with that much confidence.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Helle wasn't his best last night, agreed he should have had the 3rd goal.

As for the bolded, that wasn't a breakaway, it was a two on one. Helle has to slide over on that play, that goal is 0% his fault. There are many people to blame for it but not him. Buff can't let that pass get through and sloppy play at the blueline leads to a two on one.

I have no idea what you expect him to do on that play, if he doesn't slide over Fiala one touches it into the net, it's an almost impossible play for a goalie when a two on one goes across the crease both ways in that short of a time frame.

He slid like he was protecting a cross crease pass to the back door/far post. It was a 2 on 1 to the middle of the ice. He doesn't need to slide, he just needs to re-set. Easy to say in hindsight obviously as Fiala deked instead of shooting. Either way, that was probably the 3rd time Helle has slid way too far and put himself out of position for an easy tap in. Preds missed the other couple chances in game 1.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He slid like he was protecting a cross crease pass to the back door/far post. It was a 2 on 1 to the middle of the ice. He doesn't need to slid, he just needs to re-set. Easy to say in hindsight obviously. That was probably the 3rd time Helle has slid way too far and put himself out of position for an easy tap in. Preds missed the other couple chances in game 1.
To be fair I watched it again and it was further out than I thought, he did overslide a bit. I would bet nearly every goalie would slide over in that situation though, with how hard that pass was and how much distance it covered, it is much more efficient to slide than to attempt to t-push across in time. He did slide too far though.

Still I'd put a maximum of 10% blame on him. That's an incredibly tough save to make either way.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Perreault can get back in for Hendricks and Armia for Roslovic we will start to dominate this series
Roslovic is fine. If either Perrault or Armia come back we can roll Roslovic little Armia/Perrault which is a fine line since Roslovic has looked more dangerous offensively than either of those 2 guys. When he gets pushed down with Hendricks what do you expect from him?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would say that Hellybuyck let in 5 goals was out of character and that he will come back much stronger in game 3.

2 of those 5 goals Helle let in were "odd man rushes" caused by Enstrom's and Chiarot's pinching mistakes. The Jet's have to learn "patience" like the Preds have, and only pinch if you have to. If you give great players like the Preds have some 2 on 1 breakouts, you can bet their going to score.

It may be a good idea to pull Enstrom who's lost a step, and put in Morrow- he's a great skater and can contribute to the scoring from the backend. Also may be a good idea, if Armia and Perrault are not ready, to play Mathias- really good skater, and good size, and we won't get into the trouble we're having playing Hendricks.

These are 2 "key things" the Jet's should strongly consider doing. When Morrow was in against the Wild--we were a great team and beat the Wild easy 4 games to 1--why not go with that lineup ???

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
In what world is Morrow a better skater than Toby? Not to mention pretty much everything else to do with hockey.
I guess the real world? And from what I've seen, Morrow has looked better from the start of the playoffs......

He's faster. Will win more board battles. Just wondering what it is you think Enstrom has been doing better than him in the playoffs?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Seems like people are struggling on the board after a loss as usual IN A GREAT GAME. We got the split and yes it’s dissapointing we didn’t win in OT but the angst is comical.

Series on.

Good post by PS 241 -we are not playing the Wild here--we are playing the team that went to the Cup final last year, so anyone expecting a 5 game series, better think again. These teams are pretty even, and it looks to me that we're in for a 6-7 game series, with a good tough team. We should be very happy coming away with a "split."

From what I see --looks like a 50-50 chance as to who will win ?? With the regular season included we played the Preds-- 7 times--we won 3 and they won 4--so don't expect a walk in the park here, and also expect "more overtime games."

Personally I'd feel a lot better if we could get back Armia--key defensive piece--and Perrault would help as well.

I'm hoping for the Jets in 6-- but I think this series goes 7 games--slight edge to the Jets.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I guess the real world? And from what I've seen, Morrow has looked better from the start of the playoffs......

He's faster. Will win more board battles. Just wondering what it is you think Enstrom has been doing better than him in the playoffs?
Pretty much everything, there isn't a situation I would prefer Morrow to be in than Toby. Enstrom is a superior player in pretty much every way. He's getting his timing back after his injury, even still he's a better choice than Morrow.

Thr Chiarot/Morrow love because they merely are able to survive amazes me. Both are terrible puck movers, cannot outskate a forecheck and easily have the worst gaps among the Jets D. I don't see what either of them bring to the game over Enstrom.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
As usual late to the party ... haven't had time to log in until now.

Tough loss. I actually missed most of the overtime ... it was going to give me a heart attack and I figured I'd be way to geared up win or lose to sleep at all if I stayed up so it looks like I made the wise choice to pack it in instead. I

Enstrom was awful. Two of the Preds goals were totally on him IMO. The Chiarot taking the body wasn't great either, but I'm willing to give him a little more leeway as he's been good up till now and that was more of a "blip".

Subban has got to be one of the most disgusting players in the league. I think my hatred for him has surpassed my hatred for Marchand. That sequence where he was cross-checking Laine who's helpless on the ice, and then got a check himself and fell down like he'd been shot ... pathetic.

I like the fact that Schiefele seemed really angry over the loss in his post-game interview. I predict the Jets come out in full beast mode at home for game 3.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In the grand scheme of things, the Jets are mission accomplished in Nashville with the spli.. The team played very well last night. I think the lack of playoff experience showed in the OT. We looked tentative, like we were playing to not lose.

Last nights game was truly a missed opportunity, to take a 2 game lead coming home. That loss is on Maurice. His stubbornness regarding playing Hendricks cost us a clean playoff victory last night.

I don't blame Hendricks at all. By now, everyone knows what he can and can't do, and he can't do NHL pro hockey at the playoff level. Especially at the level required to beat the number 1 team in the league. Our coach has choices and he chooses to put Hendricks out on the ice. It just cost us a game.

Go Jets Go!

Good post by Florida Jet -- but I would take "no comfort" in that we won 1 game in Nashville, although it's a good sign. Let's not forget that the Preds are one of the best road teams and won't be intimidated playing in our building, and likely will win 1 of the 2 games here. I'm really hoping we take "both games" at home. This would position us really nicely with a 3-1 series lead. This may be what it's going to take.

We have the best home record in the NHL, and we're playing a team with the best road record--so I expect some close 1 goal games--I hope the Jets come out on top.:thumbu:

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad