Post-Game Talk: No OT Luck - Jets Lose Game 2 - 5-4 (2OT)

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I hope that no Jets players read this thread. Embarrassing that we are tied going home, played a double overtime 2nd game and almost went home up 2 games and the tone is negative. Some fans don’t deserve a team that is as good as our Jets.

Hey Larmex- I'm wondering if we could borrow JET-- your new playoff dog, and position him right behind the glass at the Nashville bench. He would be biting at the glass and growling and scratching at it --" be a great distraction." for the Pred's team. It be very funny.:)

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Just watched those post game interviews. Wheeler looks absolutely exhausted. I wonder how hurt he is playing.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Hey Larmex- I'm wondering if we could borrow JET-- your new playoff dog, and position him right behind the glass at the Nashville bench. He would be biting at the glass and growling and scratching at it --" be a great distraction." for the Pred's team. It be very funny.:)
The only problem is that Jet is a snarly and feisty little dog around playoff time. If you have a pair of welding gloves to hold him and you have good 3rd party liability insurance I will send him off prepaid. Just need your address. Let’s do this!

Reactions: GNP

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't actually mind Subban's antics from a pragmatist point of view.

He is playing loose with the rules, trying to fish things from the set frame of rules that apply for each player. If he gets away with it, it is because he knows how to get away with it.

If playing by the rules is not the path to maximize winning for your team in your case, you are a s**t professional. A professional will maximize winning in any case, even if it means sacrificing your reputation. He is a soldier soldiering for one thing only. You can take your honor code, and after you are done judging, you can shove it right up your arse if it does nothing for winning. Don't be Ned Stark.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Most interesting comment from Maurice was how in game one the Jets looked "off" because the series they played against Minny the systems are very different than what the Preds run while the Jets and Avs are more alike. He felt last night's game was more like what he expected to see between these two teams.

Well, I agree with Maurice's assessment in that I thought game 2 was more like how I envisioned the these 2 teams going at it. I think we'll see much the same style of game being played in games 3 and 4 here in the Peg. Should be one hella of a series !!!

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

What about my playoff doggie in the avatar? You can have her, she’s the biggest Jets fan :D

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

He is playing loose with the rules, trying to fish things from the set frame of rules that apply for each player. If he gets away with it, it is because he knows how to get away with it.

If playing by the rules is not the path to maximize winning for your team in your case, you are a s**t professional. A professional will maximize winning in any case, even if it means sacrificing your reputation. He is a soldier soldiering for one thing only. You can take your honor code, and after you are done judging, you can shove it right up your arse if it does nothing for winning. Don't be Ned Stark.
Here's my problem with his antics ... if any Jet player did half of what he did ... they would be in the penalty box. Weird how the refs send Scheifele and Bonino off for roughing but not Subban and Scheifele. Or Laine and Subban for roughing ... why does PK does not get penalties??? To valuable for the Preds ... he can't be taken off the ice?

Reactions: kellhunter

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I don't agree with the thought that 'Maurice cost us this game'. IMHO he prepared the team quite well for game 2.

Why? Because he played Hendricks? It's the 4th line. Army and Perreault weren't healthy. Who's the big difference maker he could have put in? Dano? The guy with 0 playoff experience and 3 pts this year? Hendricks had to take some minutes because we were in double OT. It's not as if Maurice was leaning on him.

Did he suck? Yes. But there's a bit too much 20/20 hindsight here imho.

Toby sucked too but that's uncharacteristic of him imho. I'm not about to put Morrow in his place. Toby has earned his place in this organization and I'd frankly be disgusted if he was sat next game in favour of a 7D, because of a blip on the radar.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't agree with the thought that 'Maurice cost us this game'. IMHO he prepared the team quite well for game 2.

Why? Because he played Hendricks? It's the 4th line. Army and Perreault weren't healthy. Who's the big difference maker he could have put in? Dano? The guy with 0 playoff experience and 3 pts this year? Hendricks had to take some minutes because we were in double OT. It's not as if Maurice was leaning on him.

Toby sucked too but that's uncharacteristic of him imho. I'm not about to put Morrow in his place. Toby has earned his place in this organization and I'd frankly be disgusted if he was sat next game in favour of a 7D, because of a blip on the radar.

It's a problem when you have a 4th line that you are afraid to give any minutes. For me it's not really about PoMo having many better options than Hendy. It's the fact he picked the worst skater out of the options we have in a game that anyone in their right mind would expect to be close and possibly go OT. Hendy looked slow in less than 10 min a game in the regular season. I don't know how PoMo wouldn't think he'd look even worse in a playoff situation. Besides that I think Pomo coached a good game.

And yes, it's super easy to say with 20/20!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Enstrom, Chairot and Hendricks can all sit in the press box as far as I am concerned.

Especially Hendricks.

2 of those 5 goals Helle let in were "odd man rushes" caused by Enstrom's and Chiarot's pinching mistakes. The Jet's have to learn "patience" like the Preds have, and only pinch if you have to. If you give great players like the Preds have some 2 on 1 breakouts, you can bet their going to score.

It may be a good idea to pull Enstrom who's lost a step, and put in Morrow- he's a great skater and can contribute to the scoring from the backend. Also may be a good idea, if Armia and Perrault are not ready, to play Mathias- really good skater, and good size, and we won't get into the trouble we're having playing Hendricks.

These are 2 "key things" the Jet's should strongly consider doing. When Morrow was in against the Wild--we were a great team and beat the Wild easy 4 games to 1--why not go with that lineup ???

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Connor and Ehlers score it doesn't matter what Hendricks does. What I mean is they all played a role in win or lose its a team game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

I can only answer for myself, but certainly not hindsight. I was screaming at the TV all night every time he was on “no, not Hendricks!”
And sure enough...
He doesn’t belong as a 4th liner. Not on this team. There are two better options in the press box. And probably a couple more at least on the Moose.

HockeyGuy100

Apr 15, 2018
It amazes me how many of you have blinders on when it comes to Enstrom. It's so obvious they should have Morrow in right now. The Jets won what 11 of the last 12 games of the year mostly without Enstrom to finish the season. Then they crush the Wild 4-1 and finish them off with back to back shutouts again without him. Does that sound like a team that needs to make a change on defense, not to mention to play a guy who hasn't seen much of the ice in a long time? Of course Nashville is a tougher team than Minnesota, but things were rolling great and there was no need to make the change to put Enstrom back in the second he is healthy. Throwing him to the wolves against Nashville his first game back was not smart at all. If this had been in the middle of the regular season I would understand the move. We don't have time in a playoff series for him to "find his game" or he will get better when we had a player in Morrow who was playing perfectly fine and was getting stronger each game. Enstrom was -2 last game (the worst of all defensemen on the Jets) and 2 goals were directly related to his poor play. Enstrom is not built for the playoffs, he is too small (just ask Toronto and Minnesota, they have lots of players his size ask them how that worked out) and is not being physical at all and shying away from contact (scared to get injured again). Average out his stats for an entire regular season and he was on pace to score 2 goals, Morrow was on pace for double digit goals. If Enstrom isn't going to score then he better at least take care of things on the back end, which he surely isn't. Again Morrow was playing just fine defensively as well. For all you Enstrom lovers, show me one clip where Morrow has cost us the game in the games he has played in.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It amazes me how many of you have blinders on when it comes to Enstrom. It's so obvious they should have Morrow in right now. The Jets won what 11 of the last 12 games of the year mostly without Enstrom to finish the season. Then they crush the Wild 4-1 and finish them off with back to back shutouts again without him. Does that sound like a team that needs to make a change on defense, not to mention to play a guy who hasn't seen much of the ice in a long time? Of course Nashville is a tougher team than Minnesota, but things were rolling great and there was no need to make the change to put Enstrom back in the second he is healthy. Throwing him to the wolves against Nashville his first game back was not smart at all. If this had been in the middle of the regular season I would understand the move. We don't have time in a playoff series for him to "find his game" or he will get better when we had a player in Morrow who was playing perfectly fine and was getting stronger each game. Enstrom was -2 last game (the worst of all defensemen on the Jets) and 2 goals were directly related to his poor play. Enstrom is not built for the playoffs, he is too small (just ask Toronto and Minnesota, they have lots of players his size ask them how that worked out) and is not being physical at all and shying away from contact (scared to get injured again). Average out his stats for an entire regular season and he was on pace to score 2 goals, Morrow was on pace for double digit goals. If Enstrom isn't going to score then he better at least take care of things on the back end, which he surely isn't. Again Morrow was playing just fine defensively as well. For all you Enstrom lovers, show me one clip where Morrow has cost us the game in the games he has played in.

I can show you a clip where Morrow won a game for us :)

I haven't chimed in at all because it's a heated argument, but I agree with most of what you've posted. We were doing great, the D was perfectly fine, and Toby has been out for a long time with injury. His numbers aren't great, including his Corsci (I think that was the stat I saw that was 26%) was terrible in the 2 games back. So it's not just eye test, and it's not a condemnation of his life's work, it's just the fact that 'waiting for a guy to get up to speed' shouldn't happen in a playoff series like this.

I love Toby, but I disagree with the decision to change up something that was working well. I know it's a different series with a different team.....but, that's how I feel about it.

We will put Frenchy back in if he's healthy (after some time off), but that will likely be on the 4th line. I would have liked to have seen the same with Toby, playing third pairing minutes with Myers to get his legs back.

Your mileage may vary.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
11-2-3 without Scheifele during his first injury. I guess we don't need him either. :shakehead

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
11-2-3 without Scheifele during his first injury. I guess we don't need him either. :shakehead

If you're replying to me, I didn't say we were better off without him, just that it's tough to jump right into the 2nd pairing after being off so long. The eye test and the stats agree.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'm just rewatching the overtime goal. Enstrom was literally the farthest Jet up ice at one point, Hendricks is just skating to the bench totally out of the play, Copp and Roslo are at the blueline and lose the battle. The only guy hustling back to help out is Enstrom. Pretty rough play from every Jet, I dunno how Enstrom gets singled out there. A forward has to go back to cover for him, and they are all in position to and none of them do

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

We were covering very well when Scheif was out and when Toby was out. We have great depth.

Toby's CF%rel -21.5

5th worst out of 323 players in the playoffs.

Again, I like Toby, it's just not the time to let a guy 'get his game back'.

Hopefully he only needed two games.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm just rewatching the overtime goal. Enstrom was literally the farthest Jet up ice at one point, Hendricks is just skating to the bench totally out of the play, Copp and Roslo are at the blueline and lose the battle. The only guy hustling back to help out is Enstrom. Pretty rough play from every Jet, I dunno how Enstrom gets singled out there. A forward has to go back to cover for him, and they are all in position to and none of them do

Again, I hope this isn't directed at me, because I'm not blaming Toby for that goal. Just play in general over the two games back.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
We were covering very well when Scheif was out and when Toby was out. We have great depth.

Toby's CF%rel -21.5

5th worst out of 323 players in the playoffs.

Again, I like Toby, it's just not the time to let a guy 'get his game back'.

Hopefully he only needed two games.
If you want to keep using a 2 game Corsi sample to convince me Morrow is a better option than Enstrom, stop. He simply isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad