No Man's Sky - Part 2 - 1 thread down, 17,999,999,999,999,999,999 to go

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
And it's clear that it wasn't so much that they were lied to as much as the small Team just got caught up in the hype they created.

The media/hype machine is a cruel mistress and, like a succubus, hurts those who actually care.

Hello Games could have handled everything à lot better, no doubt. But the backlash is astounding in it's viciousness.
The problem is that they aren't handling anything at all and have been silent for weeks now.It's their own fault for letting the angry mob control the narrative while they play Possum.

Hello Games should just close their doors since the company is now poison.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's mob mentality. I'd be willing to bet half the people caught in that month/month and a half of criticizing the game hadn't actually put in more than 10 hours into it.

You experience everything in the core gameplay loop in the first hour. There is no story. It's like saying Tetris can't be critiqued unless you've sunk in ten hours.

This is also a real reddit post. I can't decide if it's you or misterchainsaw.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
And it's clear that it wasn't so much that they were lied to as much as the small Team just got caught up in the hype they created.

I honestly think it's both.

Yes, the hype got out of control and it's hard to argue a good chunk of the disappointment wasn't self-inflicted by consumers...

....but they also lied about what was in the game. Blatantly.

Together, they create a storm of backlash that is impressive, to put it lightly.

It's mob mentality. I'd be willing to bet half the people caught in that month/month and a half of criticizing the game hadn't actually put in more than 10 hours into it.

I feel like this actually makes sense, as the ones who quit early would also likely be the most upset about it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I feel like this actually makes sense, as the ones who quit early would also likely be the most upset about it.

Pretty much. Those who never gave the game a real shot would be the ones that felt the most deceived by the marketing, because it didn't match what they expected from it. If you put some time into the game, it means you found something in the game that kept you around, and thus, didn't really have as many issues with it as others may have.

Would I have liked the game to be more than what it was? Of course. But once it was clear that it wasn't, I didn't spend my time *****ing about how I was deceived and how Sean Murray deserves to be in prison and yadda, yadda, yadda. I took the game at face value, played it until I felt it earned its price tag, then traded it back in.

I kept the game for about a month/month and a half, then traded it in for NHL. $60 minus the $25 dollar trade-in means I paid about $35 for NMS. And I have no issue with that. Others played it less than 10 hours, got a full refund, and still spent the following two months *****ing up a storm. Seems odd.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Pretty much. Those who never gave the game a real shot would be the ones that felt the most deceived by the marketing, because it didn't match what they expected from it. If you put some time into the game, it means you found something in the game that kept you around, and thus, didn't really have as many issues with it as others may have.

Would I have liked the game to be more than what it was? Of course. But once it was clear that it wasn't, I didn't spend my time *****ing about how I was deceived and how Sean Murray deserves to be in prison and yadda, yadda, yadda. I took the game at face value, played it until I felt it earned its price tag, then traded it back in.

I kept the game for about a month/month and a half, then traded it in for NHL. $60 minus the $25 dollar trade-in means I paid about $35 for NMS. And I have no issue with that. Others played it less than 10 hours, got a full refund, and still spent the following two months *****ing up a storm. Seems odd.

Not that odd, really. They obviously hated it immediately, whereas you found value in it with only minor disappointment. Nothing wrong with either viewpoint.

I won't pretend to understand the mentality of over-the-top outrage, but many people were let down...some more than others.

While I do partially blame the hype train for the letdown, the fact remains that Sean Murray and crew did deceive customers, and they deserve some licks for it.

As was said before, they are not the only ones to do this, but it was a pretty overt example. Hopefully the industry can change for the better as a result.

To be fair, we as customers do have a defense at our disposal - don't pre-order games...especially ones as vaguely presented as No Man's Sky.

(Disclaimer: I don't always listen to my own advice either :laugh:)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
But I don't understand the outrage if the end result was essentially push. I get it if you paid $60, felt deceived, spent hours on it and couldn't get your $60 back. But for most of the "over the top" people, it was essentially "I spent very little time playing this game, I was disappointed and I got my money back. RAGE!"

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
But I don't understand the outrage if the end result was essentially push. I get it if you paid $60, felt deceived, spent hours on it and couldn't get your $60 back. But for most of the "over the top" people, it was essentially "I spent very little time playing this game, I was disappointed and I got my money back. RAGE!"

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for you.... people did not like the game, they were bored or hated it after playing for an hour or two, so they are pissed off that it was so bad that it wasn't even good enough to be played for a decent amount of time. So they shouldn't be allowed to be pissed because of that?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't understand why this is such a hard concept for you.... people did not like the game, they were bored or hated it after playing for an hour or two, so they are pissed off that it was so bad that it wasn't even good enough to be played for a decent amount of time. So they shouldn't be allowed to be pissed because of that?

They're welcome to do so, but it's still an odd thing to me. For the same reason I mentioned when YOU decided to rage out in this topic: If I dislike something, I don't spend my time telling everyone how much I hated it. I simply ignore it and move on. Spending a month and a half raging over a game they didn't even play "a decent amount of time" and got a full refund for, that seems like a sad life to live.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Again, I won't pretend to fully understand the outrage either.

I do think it comes down to disappointment (a lot of people were tremendously excited for this game) and the simple fact that people don't enjoy being lied to.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
They're welcome to do so, but it's still an odd thing to me. For the same reason I mentioned when YOU decided to rage out in this topic: If I dislike something, I don't spend my time telling everyone how much I hated it. I simply ignore it and move on. Spending a month and a half raging over a game they didn't even play "a decent amount of time" and got a full refund for, that seems like a sad life to live.

Well...basically that is what the internet/message boards is all about :laugh:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's no different than the hardcore fans of the game who aggressively attacked anyone who dared to say anything negative about it.Jim Sterling got a DDoS attack on his website because he gave the game an unfavorable review.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's no different than the hardcore fans of the game who aggressively attacked anyone who dared to say anything negative about it.Jim Sterling got a DDoS attack on his website because he gave the game an unfavorable review.

I think you missed his point.

It's fairly logical for someone to spend time defending something they're playing and enjoying.

Spending your time complaining about a game that you neither play or like, on the other hand, not so much.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I think you missed his point.

It's fairly logical for someone to spend time defending something they're playing and enjoying.

Spending your time complaining about a game that you neither play or like, on the other hand, not so much.
Except that the hardcore fans were also prowling the net before they even got their hands on their copies.

Also it's very logical to complain about being dissatisfied and denied a refund on a game you paid good money for.The massive amount of negative reviews on Steam is from people who actually bought the product since you can't post a review on a game you don't own.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Except that the hardcore fans were also prowling the net before they even got their hands on their copies.

Also it's very logical to complain about being dissatisfied and denied a refund on a game you paid good money for.The massive amount of negative reviews on Steam is from people who actually bought the product since you can't post a review on a game you don't own.

Steam offered a full refund on this game.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Whatever happened to that guy that spent like $2k on an early copy of NMS?

Personally, I find the whole drama over this game more entertaining than playing most actual games. There hasn't been a game this polarizing in ages, breaks up the monotony of most games being the same old, same old.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Still doesn't explain people like FLYLine, who never actually bought the game, but has literally spent the time since it was announced declaring how much he disliked this game.
Who are we to tell him what to do with his own time?Some people just like to argue and hate on things constantly.That's just the way of the internet.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Who are we to tell him what to do with his own time?Some people just like to argue and hate on things constantly.That's just the way of the internet.

And as I stated earlier, he's welcome to do so, but it's an odd concept to me. To get so worked up over something that literally had no effect on your life (or in the case of those who bought the game and got a refund, little effect on your life), it seems like a sad life to live.

Do they also create a crusade against Sam's Club if the free samples are unsatisfactory?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
And as I stated earlier, he's welcome to do so, but it's an odd concept to me. To get so worked up over something that literally had no effect on your life (or in the case of those who bought the game and got a refund, little effect on your life), it seems like a sad life to live.

Do they also create a crusade against Sam's Club if the free samples are unsatisfactory?

If anyone is getting worked up...it's you. Why do you care so much. Just relax, it's just the internet.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If anyone is getting worked up...it's you. Why do you care so much. Just relax, it's just the internet.

Not worked up. Just asking for curiousity's sake. It doesn't make any logical sense to continue to spend your time and effort with something you find displeasing. I care because seeing so many people do so (if the subreddit is any indication) is a curiousity to me.

"It's the Internet" isn't really a valid reason, since I have to imagine there are far more examples of people spending time discussing something they actually enjoy rather than trashing something that realistically had little effect on them.

So what is it about this game in particular that drew the over-the-top reaction, to the point where people would rather spend their time trashing it than doing...pretty much anything else?

As already stated, it's not as if they're the first company that produced a game that didn't live up to the hype. It's not the first company that used out-of-game footage to promote their game. Yet, if the immediate backlash was any indication, Hello Games was evil incarnate and Sean Murray was the devil himself.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So what is it about this game in particular that drew the over-the-top reaction, to the point where people would rather spend their time trashing it than doing...pretty much anything else?

schadenfreude

I am enjoying this ****show immensely. The few people willing to defend this nonsense add some spice to the situation. This game isn't the first to lie or promise things it ultimately doesn't deliver, but it was so flagrant about it and their total lack of response after the fact + it being a major game pushed by a platform holder means it's different from all the rest.

This game will be studied as an example of what not to do for many years to come.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only real lesson is don't give a small studio the type of marketing you would give a huge one.

If you are told "we will market the game for you" are you really supposed to turn it down? A lot of blame should be laid at Sony's feet for thinking that marketing the game the way they did was a good idea.

They tried to cash in on the fact that so many indie games get cult status but they didn't bother asking themselves how and why they get there.

Hello Games were swept up by the craze of the industry. They didn't handle it well but there is so much more to this debacle than Hello Games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad