Confirmed with Link: No Captain This Season : Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty & Subban Assistants

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Why cant Price wear a letter? Goalies aren't allowed?

I guess they made it against the rule after Luongo was captain. For good reason, too: In THEORY, the guys with the letters are the only players allowed to talk with the ref and relay info from the ref to the coach. In practice, that's never true, but goalies can't really act as the relay between the bench and the ref.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I guess they made it against the rule after Luongo was captain. For good reason, too: In THEORY, the guys with the letters are the only players allowed to talk with the ref and relay info from the ref to the coach. In practice, that's never true, but goalies can't really act as the relay between the bench and the ref.

The fact that goalies can't cross the red line doesn't help.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Just during play, during tv time outs goalies in the second can go to the bench, cant they?

Most of the consultation with the refs occurs during stoppages, no ( not that I think goalies as C is a great idea)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In the meantime, they should had given the C to Plekky,then, even for a single season.

Give it to him only to strip him from it?? That's just dumb man..

No. It's not what I meant (if you could had read properly)...

they should had given him the C now for a year or two. Until he is dealt away or leaves as a UFA.

Why would you make a player you're going to deal away or let walk within 2 years be your captain??

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The way I see it...

Plekanec didn't get the captaincy because his time with the Habs isn't for long (sorry, I know not a popular opinion, but it's the truth, whether via trade or via his contract coming to an end after next season)

Markov didn't get the captaincy probably because he didn't want it or management feels that he doesn't have the temperament to handle all the off-ice stuff

Both Pacioretty & Subban are being groomed to be the next in line...I put my money on PK Subban but Pacioretty is right there

Or they're just giving more time to PK and Max to come around.
Could Plek be traded? Sure. MaxPac was also being heavily discussed in trade rumors last year, could he be traded?? If he's a no-show in the POs next year, his name is definitely going to be brought up. It already was this year.
And yet it seems they're grooming him as well as PK.

So ya, Plekanec can be traded, but I don't this has a thing to do with this decision.
In 8 years, PK is still going to be a Habs, and we possibly have him for another 5-6ish years after. Max has at least 5 more years here.
Makes complete sense to just wait an extra year for them to gain more maturity and then give one of them the C.

You don't just trade your most used center for the sake of it, and you definitely don't let him walk for nothing. To say Plek didn't get the C because he's not part of the longterm plan is far fetched imo.

Why can't people just assume the most obvious and logical answer?? Bergevin said there's a transfer of leadership and a movement towards younger players, so he clearly wanted to give it to one of his young guys. He has one of the best Dman and best LW in the NHL on his team, locked up for another 8 and 5 years. They're still young at 25, they're coming off two pretty good seasons, they went to ELC last year, one signed the richest contract in Habs history, let's just give those kids another season to gain maturity, see how they settle to increased expectations without the extra burden of captaincy.

And Therrien gave props to Plekanec.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Goalies don't wear letters and that's that. It would just end up being a distraction for him. (See Luongo in Vancouver)

The biggest factor is that goalies don't play the 82 games.....and can enter a game in the middle of it if he act as second for a night.

PricePkPatch*

To me this isn't a big deal... Leaders are leaders regardless of letter on jersey
But we gave Gionta the C... Kind of a lap in the face to Plek that he get pass over again.

When Plek will be known as a playoff hero, I'll consider giving him the C.

He's damn useful, don't take me wrong. But he doesn't clutch up.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
They said that they have so many leaders and they can't choose 1 captain. It doesn't even make any sense.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
10522844_1483792655203441_338721820_n.jpg

Nice, too bad goalies aren't allowed, the Luongo exp. in Vancouver proved it doesn't work,IMHO.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If the players vote on it next season, I don't see PK getting it.

Unless things change, they won't ( management chooses) but I'm not even sure how you have access to the room to know who does and who does not have the room.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Why cant Price wear a letter? Goalies aren't allowed?

Goalies don't wear letters and that's that. It would just end up being a distraction for him. (See Luongo in Vancouver)

Just during play, during tv time outs goalies in the second can go to the bench, cant they?

Most of the consultation with the refs occurs during stoppages, no ( not that I think goalies as C is a great idea)

The biggest factor is that goalies don't play the 82 games.....and can enter a game in the middle of it if he act as second for a night.

The NHL by rules have not allowed goaltenders to be the Captain since 1948.
Luongo was a symbolic "C" on his mask , he was never a Captain. The Canucks always rolled with 3 Alternates.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
excellent. Galchenyuk will be this team's captain one day. book it.

Galchenyuk will be the habs best player this year, and top 10 in the league by year's end. book it.

Galchenyuk will be more than a ppg this year. book it.

I need your dealer's number brah

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would have prefered a Captain having been selected but at least the four they have with an A on the jersey for next season is a good mix of the recent past and the future of the team.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
excellent. Galchenyuk will be this team's captain one day. book it.

Galchenyuk will be the habs best player this year, and top 10 in the league by year's end. book it.

Galchenyuk will be more than a ppg this year. book it.

I wish. If it's the case then it means the Habs are inches close to the cup. Especially considering how far we went last year with the current pieces in place.

PricePkPatch*

I wish. If it's the case then it means the Habs are inches close to the cup. Especially considering how far we went last year with the current pieces in place.

Minus Gionta, Vanek, Gorges and Briere

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Minus Gionta, Vanek, Gorges and Briere

To me those guys (minus Gorges) weren't key contributors to the run. Gionta's defense and Briere's offense in my opinion can easily be replaced by some of the prospects.

Vanek was valuable at the end of the year to solidify a high seed but in the playoffs, if we can get from Parenteau what we got from Vanek but without being a higher seed then it's all good.

As for Gorges, we sacrifice some defense for some puck possession but with that said, if PK can fill in a bigger defensive role, the difference could be minimal. There's also Emelin going back to his natural side that should help out in that aspect of the game.

PricePkPatch*

Btw, i just read in La Presse that Plek actually said that PK would make a good captain, especially as the team will revolve around Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad