Confirmed with Link: No Captain This Season : Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty & Subban Assistants

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It shows how hockey starved Montreal is right now. Reporters can say pretty much anything and it is a point of discussion.

When I heard Michael Farber saying that not giving Plekanec a C could mean a trade is possible, then he says that nowadays trading a team captain is no longer a big deal.

So...in essence, it's a non-story and we are all just moving our lips mumbling something....anything...as long as it is about the Habs.

I picked Farber to make my point solely because he is truly respected and does not come up with biased crap disguised as fact or logic so twisted it does not know heads or tails of itself, such as Gaston Therrien.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lame. Just a make a decision and live with it, I hate this Liberal 'everyone is a captain' attitude. Are we afraid to make a choice or hurt someone's feelings? You can't tell me there isn't Captain material on this team.

PricePkPatch*

I keep reading/seeing this...but why is that? What has or what does Carey Price do to be considered the 'real captain' of this team?

Apparently he made a nice little speech during the playoffs, against the Bs.

Thats it.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Comically enough, I think most are unhappy with Montreal not choosing a captain because if they picked someone, they'd be able to actually form complaints on the choice. Now they can't complain about one guy so they have to complain about process. In other words, no choice or choice? There will still be whining.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Lame. Just a make a decision and live with it, I hate this Liberal 'everyone is a captain' attitude. Are we afraid to make a choice or hurt someone's feelings? You can't tell me there isn't Captain material on this team.

he problem with "making a decision" is the guy you want with the C may not be ready for it and giving it to him might case a train wreck. Playing in Montreal has enough pressure without having the pressure of the C when you're not ready.

I think it's a clear sign they want the young leaders to step up and once they are ready they will get the C. Either one guy they really lie or just give them all a chance this season.

I think the C thing gets realty overplayed on a team, winning teams have a strong group of leaders, if you only have one you probably don't have a very good team. Not naming one shouldn't negatively impact anything...I think it will piss off the media more than the players...

Doesn't matter who wears the C, the real captain of this team is Carey Price.

I agree, I think they would have given it to him if possible.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nerves of steel....calm and cool under pressure!!
People in the organization would be privy to things we are not...

The same applies to Subban...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Price isn't one of the leaders on this team. I just question he validity of saying that he's the real captain of this team. It's a mantra that I keep hearing in the media

I should remind them what they were saying about Carey Price 2 years ago...

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Comically enough, I think most are unhappy with Montreal not choosing a captain because if they picked someone, they'd be able to actually form complaints on the choice. Now they can't complain about one guy so they have to complain about process. In other words, no choice or choice? There will still be whining.

There will be some who will say the following once we go on our first losing streak... "We lack real leadership. No captain was a terrible idea"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't think it's a liberal attitude. It's clear to me that doing this despite having veterans who could take it (Markov-Plek) is because they want to give it to youngsters but want them to gain a little more maturity first.

PricePkPatch*

The same applies to Subban...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Price isn't one of the leaders on this team. I just question he validity of saying that he's the real captain of this team. It's a mantra that I keep hearing in the media

I should remind them what they were saying about Carey Price 2 years ago...

Hell. I just need to be reminded what they were saying of Price ONE FREAKKIN' YEAR AGO

Medias are two-faced hippocritical backstabbers who will burn their mothers to a stake for ratings. The whole "Price is the real captain" is just ******** meant to draw uo somr controversy.

Price is a leader of this team. All right.

Price is not, has never been, never will be a Captain. His load is unique within the team. He is a pillar that needs to support the whole structure, not a Captain leading the charge.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Book it! This will totally happen :laugh:

There will be some who will say the following once we go on our first losing streak... "We lack real leadership. No captain was a terrible idea"

Was that ever said by anyone credible after the Gainey nonsense summer of smurfs? No?

Ok then, why would it be said again?

Sure, questions will be asked, as they always are, but this team has been driven and workmanlike in their approach in recent years, there is no reason to expect them to loaf around like the heyday of the late-Koivu era.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Was that ever said by anyone credible after the Gainey nonsense summer of smurfs? No?

Ok then, why would it be said again?

Sure, questions will be asked, as they always are, but this team has been driven and workmanlike in their approach in recent years, there is no reason to expect them to loaf around like the heyday of the late-Koivu era.

Pretty sure it was said.

Doesn't matter. It's nonsense. If Gionta had the C on his chest or not last year, it wouldnt have made a difference. Its a letter... and most of the time, different guys are leaders. See Prust.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

This ''everyone wins'' mentality is the best approach in this city. Drama queens in the media would be all over Bergevin and Therrien for choosing Plekanec the girl, or the impassive Markov, or the streaky Pacioretty or the inexperienced and exhuberant Subban... This way, there's no drama and the team can focus on winning. Remember Cunneyworth? Yeah, there were some people in the street over this.

PricePkPatch*

Or maybe because his general manager more or less came out and said that Price should also be considered one of the captains of the team despite not wearing a letter.

Maybe.

So he is a leader on thisn team. Good for him.

Doesnt make him "The Captain" like the media like to clamor..

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Was listening to Dandenault, Fichaud and Ciccone yesterday, about Subban. They all claimed he was lacking maturity on the ice and off the ice. That he was too reckless, too selfish, and that he was taking too many risks on the ice... etc. etc.

I didn't know Dandenault was that stupid. I knew Ciccone wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and that Fichaud wasn't all that clever, but I didn't know Dandenault could go that low.

They then proceeded to say Karlsson was ready to be Ottawa's leader, without bringing up the same "on-ice risks" factor.

I guess that's what happens when you get an era represented by guys like Martin, Gauthier and Gionta as the faces of your franchise. You get to the point where you want someone as boring and colourless as possible to represent your team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So he is a leader on thisn team. Good for him.

Doesnt make him "The Captain" like the media like to clamor..

Price can lead like Roy did in his day maybe not a firey as Patrick but has the teams ear I'm sure.
PK is the next "C" without a doubt, the club may want to see how he settles in to his new reality first.
The dollars need to be reflected on the ice.
I only see a few areas where PK needs to improve.
I'd like to see him show more poise and be less frenetic in the Dzone.
I think this will allow him to eventually book more icetime and better ration his stamina.
I want to see him drop that exploding into a player move.
If he needs to put the fear of god into someone he needs to front them not hip check them.
Finally i want to see him start creating havoc without the puck. Jumping into openings and initiating odd man situations. This last piece depends strictly on the coaching staff who need to give him the green light. (Not convinced JJ has the balls to make this happen)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Let's face it everyone has their favourite players, and in those players we will look ever so hard for evidence of "leadership". It's a popularity contest in fandom. Amongst players it's a sign of respect and accomplishment and legacy.

I am a Subban guy but objectively speaking Markov has been the team's anchor for over a decade. He's borderline legend. I hope the team did not overlook this and they did have a discussion with him about it. This 4 Alternate system is an acknowledgement and a slight all at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad