Confirmed with Link: No Captain This Season : Markov, Plekanec, Pacioretty & Subban Assistants

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
The way I see it...

Plekanec didn't get the captaincy because his time with the Habs isn't for long (sorry, I know not a popular opinion, but it's the truth, whether via trade or via his contract coming to an end after next season)

Markov didn't get the captaincy probably because he didn't want it or management feels that he doesn't have the temperament to handle all the off-ice stuff

Both Pacioretty & Subban are being groomed to be the next in line...I put my money on PK Subban but Pacioretty is right there

Yup, basically this. I believe the moment Bergevin can pull the trigger on a deal that gets him an acceptable return, Plekanec is gone and Galchenyuk is moved to center.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I have no problem with the team grooming Pacioretty/Subban to be the next Captain, I just don't think this was the best way of doing it. I think it opens the door for the media to cause a distraction and fabricate cliques and a pro-Subban, pro-Pacioretty battle lines.

I assume Markov and Plekanec were offered/consulted on the decision and are fine with it, but it could be taken as a slight if they weren't. Which again can easily lead to the media inventing stuff causing a circus atmosphere.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
This is Pejorative Slured. Another lack of direction IMO by this team. Do like the other teams do. Put that C on the leader's jersey and let him lead the pack.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I remember when those talks first started. I brought up the possibility to go without a captain. Someone told me it was stupid and no chance in hell, that this is not a Gauthier led team.

Ahum.

I don't remember who you are but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts now !

PricePkPatch*

I remember when those talks first started. I brought up the possibility to go without a captain. Someone told me it was stupid and no chance in hell, that this is not a Gauthier led team.

Ahum.

I don't remember who you are but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts now !

I am not these people, but how about just chalk it up to some people are just really stupid sometimes?

Jerky

Oct 7, 2010
Montreal
2 year bridge "A" for Subban...then they'll wait all off-season, all through the pre-season and right up until puck drop opening night the next season before they announce they've add a C to Subban's jersey.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No. It's not what I meant (if you could had read properly)...

they should had given him the C now for a year or two. Until he is dealt away or leaves as a UFA.

so you want to give it to someone because they are not in the team's long term plans ? That makes no sense.

All 4 A's bring something different, markov the elder has the pedigree but is apparently reluctant, Pleks the silent is a good choice and both PK and pathches represent cogs of the future.

Let them play 4A's, if something shakes out and one or two distinguish themmselves you can go from there.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
2 year bridge "A" for Subban...then they'll wait all off-season, all through the pre-season and right up until puck drop opening night the next season before they announce they've add a C to Subban's jersey.

This is so happening.

:handclap:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I am not these people, but how about just chalk it up to some people are just really stupid sometimes?

This is not about gloating or calling anyone out. If I had wanted to do that I would have dug up the post and quoted it here.

I just genuinely would like to know that person's thoughts now. Has he come around, is he in total disbelief and angry at MB ? Opposing viewpoints can spark new ideas.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I really don't see the controversy. The Habs did back in 2009, it turned out fine. Outside of the 2011-2012 season, the team has had some pretty tight chemistry since. Even with the last place finish, the core stuck around and were still close regardless.

I just see the team not willing to commit to Plekanec and Markov because they are older and don't want to repeat the process again in 2-3 years, but they feel Subban and Pacioretty could use another year to show what they are made of. I think people are reading way too much into this.

The only issue I have is that I think Pacioretty gets a little too emotionally sometimes when criticized. However, that is just an outside perspective. I'm not in the room, so perhaps it just appears like he has thin skin, but in reality he's tough mentally. Being so far removed means we'll never know. If MT and MB think Pacioretty is ready, I trust them considering how close they are to the room.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really don't see the controversy. The Habs did back in 2009, it turned out fine. Outside of the 2011-2012 season, the team has had some pretty tight chemistry since. Even with the last place finish, the core stuck around and were still close regardless.

I just see the team not willing to commit to Plekanec and Markov because they are older and don't want to repeat the process again in 2-3 years, but they feel Subban and Pacioretty could use another year to show what they are made of. I think people are reading way too much into this.

The only issue I have is that I think Pacioretty gets a little too emotionally sometimes when criticized. However, that is just an outside perspective. I'm not in the room, so perhaps it just appears like he has thin skin, but in reality he's tough mentally. Being so far removed means we'll never know. If MT and MB think Pacioretty is ready, I trust them considering how close they are to the room.

With the hit Pax took that almost ended his career I am convinced this kid is incredibly tough mentally. He plays through pain and has two 30 goal seasons. A wolverine! A warrior of the highest magnitude!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

And what happens if after a year Pacioretty and Subban MB/MT feel they still haven't shown enough? Do we go a second year without a Captain? If you're worried that they aren't ready then waiting 1 year vs 3 years is not a big deal.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that this MB/MT challenging them to make this "their" team. I'd rather that kind of challenge be behind closed doors and not public.

Analyzer*

What gorges did was pseudoleadership.

No one respects that rah rah **** in a hockey dressing room

I'm sure people do. The way Gorges does it may seem like lawlz, but it is effective

Thank god for 24CH, now we can all be experts on leadership and the captaincy and what goes on in the locker rooms.

HFBoards - Where experts come to post.

Booo on Patches getting an A. He seems pretty emotional and I don't like how this could impact his play.

Marky and Plex make sense. For Subban, I think it will improve his play from a decision making perspective.

This is a terrible post. Pacioretty is emotional and it affects his game, but Subban isn't ? I'm getting tired of reading how Subban is perfect. Then again, I know where I'm posting, so the fact that some people can have an only slightly bias towards him should impress me.

So many people seem hurt that Subban is only giving home games to wear an 'A'. It's quite clear a lot of you have no idea what it takes to lead. Subban needs more time to mature. Markov and Plekanec are the leaders on the team. They're the elder statesmen.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
If Ryan McDonagh was still here

McDonagh
Subban
Paciorretty

will have A on their jerseys

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I agree. There's just no way for us to judge this decision really. All we've got is that outside perspective. Some tidbits here and there which hardly paint an accurate picture.

At the end of the day, it looked like a hard decision and I respect the outcome.

The only thing I didn't want to happen is Markov made captain. I thought that would have been a really horrible choice. The guy basically bailed on the end of season media scrum because he didn't want to answer questions about his upcoming contract. He's just not suited to deal with the off ice responsibilities of being the habs captain. His command of the language simply isn't good enough.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
For you. Maybe not for the players. Read between the lines of what Plekanec said.

Is there even one current habs player who said their pick would be PK ?

To be a leader, you need people willing to follow you. For right or wrong.. it doesn't seem like the players want Subban as a captain. But perhaps some do and haven't voiced their opinion. Regardless... as fans we have to trust the management on this.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I may be totally wrong, but I have a feeling that PK doesn't get along well with Plek, Markov or even Pac. Moreover, Plek and Markov seem not clicking together.
I only see Price and PK getting along well.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Is there even one current habs player who said their pick would be PK ?

To be a leader, you need people willing to follow you. For right or wrong.. it doesn't seem like the players want Subban as a captain. But perhaps some do and haven't voiced their opinion. Regardless... as fans we have to trust the management on this.

while none of them mentionned him cause he's the goalie, pretty sure lots would pick Price if they could.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00