NLCS: New York Mets vs Chicago Cubs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What happens when good pitching meets good hitting in the playoffs?

Mets advance

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm really surprised who is starting Game 1. Harvey hasn't been that great down the stretch since the innings thing came up. I don't think short rest is what he really needs. Game 2 I have no idea who starts, Colon? I guess Syndergard is possible but he did some pitching tonight.

I think Maddon has a little dilemma. When do you pitch Arrieta? I think it depends on Game 1. If you lose he has to go but if they win you could argue you're playing on house money and save him for Game 3

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What happens when good pitching meets good hitting in the playoffs?

Mets advance

I don't really agree because the Cubs do have good pitching with Lester and Jake. Let's not forget that outside of Lester and Hammel nobody else in the starting rotation for either team has postseason experience. LA is an awful offensive team and they did get to Harvey a bit.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm really surprised who is starting Game 1. Harvey hasn't been that great down the stretch since the innings thing came up. I don't think short rest is what he really needs. Game 2 I have no idea who starts, Colon? I guess Syndergard is possible but he did some pitching tonight.

I think Maddon has a little dilemma. When do you pitch Arrieta? I think it depends on Game 1. If you lose he has to go but if they win you could argue you're playing on house money and save him for Game 3

Harvey's on regular rest. He last pitched Monday. Question is who pitches game 2. Syndergaard last started on Saturday and he only threw an inning today but how much did he throw in the bullpen just warming up alone? If it's not Syndergaard, it'll be Matz in game 2 with deGrom in 3 and Syndergaard in 4 I'd imagine. If it's Syndergaard in 2 then you'll see deGrom in 3 and Matz in 4. I'd imagine they'd like the latter scenario since it sets Syndergaard and deGrom up for a possible two starts.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
If I had to bet all the money I would go with the Cubs. They are playing great and I know as soon as I say this some mets fan will feel insulted but the mets down the stretch and in this series weren't that impressive. Game 3 their offense looked good but outside of that without one player hitting a couple key homers they probably don't win. The Cubs punched the Cardinals in the mouth. They were a decent dog. The dodgers and mets series was the struggle it was predicted to be because of all the pitching.

I really want to say Cubs in 5 just so they can clinch at home because they should have home field with the better record. They really need to reseed.

I hope though that in the first inning that Maddon tells Lester to plunk Csepedes. He's long overdue to be knocked down a few pegs. It would set the tone. Being the vet he is he would know how to do it and get away with it without getting tossed.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Harvey's on regular rest. He last pitched Monday. Question is who pitches game 2. Syndergaard last started on Saturday and he only threw an inning today but how much did he throw in the bullpen just warming up alone? If it's not Syndergaard, it'll be Matz in game 2 with deGrom in 3 and Syndergaard in 4 I'd imagine. If it's Syndergaard in 2 then you'll see deGrom in 3 and Matz in 4. I'd imagine they'd like the latter scenario since it sets Syndergaard and deGrom up for a possible two starts.

NP idea what this was about but in relation to the pen comment before coming in I remember Tuesday that deGrom was warming up. No idea if that's just typical before a start or if they intended to use him because the next time they showed the pen he wasnt throwing.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Saying Cubs in 7. I always pick 7 because that's what I want to see and I love it when the home team loses (except Jays obviously).

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
NP idea what this was about but in relation to the pen comment before coming in I remember Tuesday that deGrom was warming up. No idea if that's just typical before a start or if they intended to use him because the next time they showed the pen he wasnt throwing.

If they got a lead they may have brought him in but it was probably his throw day between starts anyway so he may as well have just thrown in the bullpen and if they needed him it would have worked out.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm going with Mets in 7.

Yet to decide on which bandwagon I'm jumping on.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
We've suffered longer. Mets have seen a WS in this millennium. I should correct that by saying the Cubs fans* deserve it more, didn't mean to say the team does. The Cubs team still has to go out and earn it.

It's sports. There's no "deserves" in it for anyone. You deserve what you get. That''s what you signed up for.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Nope. It's most certainly the case that we would deserve it more. Whether it happens or not is a different story.

That's not how it works. Leafs fans don't deserve a Cup more than anyone else. Arizona Cardinals fans don't deserve a SB more than other fans. Sacramento Kings fans don't deserve a championship more than other fans. It's the same with the Cubs.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
That's not how it works. Leafs fans don't deserve a Cup more than anyone else. Arizona Cardinals fans don't deserve a SB more than other fans. Sacramento Kings fans don't deserve a championship more than other fans. It's the same with the Cubs.

Sorry, I don't see it that way when it comes to the Cubs. Generations packing Wrigley field hoping to see a winner one day. Most other fan bases would've caved and given up support for a team like the Cubs given their losing history. It's not the same with the Cubs as it is with almost any other fan base in America.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sorry, I don't see it that way when it comes to the Cubs. Generations packing Wrigley field hoping to see a winner one day. Most other fan bases would've caved and given up support for a team like the Cubs given their losing history. It's not the same with the Cubs as it is with almost any other fan base in America.

It's admirable the support that cubs fans have shown over the years but it doesn't really matter how you see it. It doesn't change the fact the no fan base is more entitled to anything than any other.

I guess you could argue that the Green Bay Packers fans are an exception since they kinda own the team.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
[mod]Lmfao. Hope the Cubs have another meltdown just like they did in the 2003 NLCS. Losers.
yao.png

And it's not like the majority of the Cubs fan base is 80 and 90 years old. Not like ya'll have lived through World War I and II. Fans going to Wrigley are in their 20's, 30's, middle age range, etc. Just like any other fan base. And there's lots of other fan bases that have gone through torture and never even experienced their team winning a championship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
It's admirable the support that cubs fans have shown over the years but it doesn't really matter how you see it. It doesn't change the fact the no fan base is more entitled to anything than any other.

I guess you could argue that the Green Bay Packers fans are an exception since they kinda own the team.

It does matter to me because it's my opinion. Whether or not you agree is up to you.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

That's kinda a lie. They have an ownership share(I have one) but you can't sell it or anything. You get privy to merchandise and you can attend an annual meeting but you have no say on anything regarding the team and how anything is run.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
the Mets young arms up against that young dynamic lineup the Cubs throw out
Mets have a deeper rotation.
Cubs pen is better than the Mets.
Lineups are close, but the Cubs offense has been on fire of late.
I think its a coin flip honestly. Would not shock me at all if this goes 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad