Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
You may not have

Was that reported? Because picks are more valuable to NJ, even mid rounds, than Anderson because of his age

Anderson is young but NJ would rather have the picks because of future ELCs for cap structure - plus we have 3-4 other prospects similar to Anderson who produce more offensively
Ya, its been widely reported that picks were available rather than this player as well as other teams being interested.

What I definitely do know though is Dubas is 100% staying away from the 2021 draft because he has identified it as a weak draft. We had 11 picks this draft and we still decided to trade out of the 2021 draft to get a 12th pick in the 2020 draft. He has also stated he's willing to trade our 1st and 2nd when we already don't have a 3rd in 2021.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Try not to get emotional, I said I didn’t know if you were, but if you do than like I said, the last thing you should do is cap a kids potential - because you have no idea what could happen.

And let’s not pretend you’re versed in all that is Johnsson. You watched a highlight reel and now think you can dunk in our faces without having any context as to why he produced like he did.
I havent commented once on Johnsson other than to say Fitzgerald wouldnt have traded for him if Anderson was close to being better already

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All you're saying is that younger players who aren't as good yet have risk associated to them. This is not an insightful or interesting argument to make.

Someone said "as long as Johnsson can produce 40pts, we're good!" My argument is that the player you just traded away has only shown that he is actually close to that, if given the same usage Johnsson is getting when he hit 40pts. And that player is 3yrs younger.

Johnsson is good for about 25pts 5v5, and that's at 60% OZS%. He'll like put up less if you give him the defensive 5v5 usage Anderson had.

Good luck.
No, the player NJ traded away (I'm a Wings fan so not sure where "you" comes from) has shown he can put up 6pts in 18 games at 23... Thats somehow "close" to Johnsson and his over 40pts hes already scored? Interesting theory.

Absolutely nothing about Anderson's game has shown he can be a top 6 forward putting up 40+pts

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What is "Johnsson right now" then? What's your assessment of how good he is, v.s. Anderson? Are you just looking at points? Because if so, I have sufficiently debunked the points argument for Johnsson >>> Anderson, as in similar contexts they are actually have produced pretty similar the main difference being is that Johnsson has been given PP time.

I mean, at Anderson's age, Johnsson hadn't even played an NHL game yet, let alone putting up similar 5v5 production, with Anderson getting tougher minutes.
No all you have done is take an already hilariously small sample size and made it even smaller by reducing it to 5v5 production in very limited ice time.

Here is a fun tid bit for you:
Take almost any player in a sub 20 game sample playing limited minutes and youll get some laugh worthy stats to "show" how good a player in

Yamamoto produced better 5v5 than Point, Draisaitl, Ovi and Kane. So he must have potential to be the best in the league, right?

Suomela (who) produced better 5v5 than Gaudreau, Tavares and Dubois. Looks like hes a future star!

Travis Boyd produced better than Horvat, Kopitar and Larkin. Must be a 1st line C, right?

Lets not forget Jayce Hawrlyk scoring at a better pace than Taylor Hall, Landeskog and Getzlaf. What's he doing in the minors!?

Now maybe you'll realize how ridiculous you sound.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No all you have done is take an already hilariously small sample size and made it even smaller by reducing it to 5v5 production in very limited ice time.

Here is a fun tid bit for you:
Take almost any player in a sub 20 game sample playing limited minutes and youll get some laugh worthy stats to "show" how good a player in

Yamamoto produced better 5v5 than Point, Draisaitl, Ovi and Kane. So he must have potential to be the best in the league, right?

Suomela (who) produced better 5v5 than Gaudreau, Tavares and Dubois. Looks like hes a future star!

Travis Boyd produced better than Horvat, Kopitar and Larkin. Must be a 1st line C, right?

Lets not forget Jayce Hawrlyk scoring at a better pace than Taylor Hall, Landeskog and Getzlaf. What's he doing in the mimors!?

Now maybe you'll realize how ridiculous you sound.

A perfect example of small samples giving false hope for expectations: Zach Aston-Reese. High scorer in his final year of NCAA, then his first 16 games in the NHL he scored 4 goals and 6 points in 11:23 of ice time. That's a 20 goal pace over 82 games! Right? Wrong. He then scored 8 goals in 43 games the following season, followed by 6 goals in 57 games this past season, proving that his skillset is that of a 4th line player, regardless of his "hot start after 16 games".

So that's the problem with any prospect with such a tiny sample size. When you're looking at that few games, one big game can completely throw "pace" out of whack. A player having a 3 point night in a 16 game sample size is going to see his overall pace rise much, much more dramatically than a player having a 3 point night over a 82 game sample would.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I havent commented once on Johnsson other than to say Fitzgerald wouldnt have traded for him if Anderson was close to being better already

I didn’t see where anyone said he was close to being better than Johnsson. If that’s the case then I agree with you.

My entire angle is about potential - too often people are quick to cap it, and then we see players like Gavrikov (who was a 7th rounder picked a year before Anderson) who after 69 games has seen his stock rise quite a bit. Anderson could end up just a 13th forward, but I think they believe he has the potential to be more.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I didn’t see where anyone said he was close to being better than Johnsson. If that’s the case then I agree with you.

My entire angle is about potential - too often people are quick to cap it, and then we see players like Gavrikov (who was a 7th rounder picked a year before Anderson) who after 69 games has seen his stock rise quite a bit. Anderson could end up just a 13th forward, but I think they believe he has the potential to be more.
Oh of course! I wasn’t saying Joey cannot EVER be better than a fourth liner. But the likelihood is low and thats from a majority of Devils fans after viewing him. His playstyle is great but hes a bit small to capitalize on his grindy-type gameplay, also his offensive potential is limited as he focuses more on the defensive side.

So I simply said youll be disappointed if you expect more, especially so soon

I think Joey has Cup-winning attitude, work ethic, and playstyle. I just dont think, offensively, he works much past a high end fourth liner on a Cup winning team

And for the note - a poster I quoted a few times was arguing Anderson is almost already an equal to Johnsson (who I think will look mighty nice next to Jack for a season or two until we can replace him)

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, the player NJ traded away (I'm a Wings fan so not sure where "you" comes from) has shown he can put up 6pts in 18 games at 23... Thats somehow "close" to Johnsson and his over 40pts hes already scored? Interesting theory.

Absolutely nothing about Anderson's game has shown he can be a top 6 forward putting up 40+pts
more icetime could change that when hes fully healthy. I mean hes a 3rd liner but thats not to say he CAN'T become a 2nd liner. He's still young with potential. all he needs is opportunity. like Connor Brown whos projected to be a 1st liner on a terrible Sens squad.
Joey Anderson if he becomes a solid bottom 6 role player I'll be happy.
The return was kinda meh but way I look at this
AJ
for
Joey Anderson
TJ Brodie
kinda wish NJ included a 3rd or 4th too

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
more icetime could change that when hes fully healthy. I mean hes a 3rd liner but thats not to say he CAN'T become a 2nd liner. He's still young with potential. all he needs is opportunity. like Connor Brown whos projected to be a 1st liner on a terrible Sens squad.
Joey Anderson if he becomes a solid bottom 6 role player I'll be happy.
The return was kinda meh but way I look at this
AJ
for
Joey Anderson
TJ Brodie
kinda wish NJ included a 3rd or 4th too
Any player "can" become a 2nd line player but for now hes a guy who scored 6pts in 18 games (not even 3rd line) and theres really nothing to suggest hes a future 2nd line player

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Theres a Leaf fan in here who's saying hes just as good as Johnsson and the only difference in their production is ice time...

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I also remember those threads being absolutely Full of Leafs fans saying the proposal wasn't enough for Manson, or whatever other RHD.

I remember because I was one of them. Along with %95 of Toronto fans.

Sorry for those few silly proposals. Try ignoring those OPs.
I agree with the principal of what you said, but I think you got a little "Leaf fan-ish" with that percentage. I saw a large number of posters claim AJ's value was a 1st but given the flat cap maybe 2 x 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd. Some posters are more reasonable than others with all fan bases, but you might be mis-remembering some of the AJ posts from 2-3 months ago.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Any player "can" become a 2nd line player but for now hes a guy who scored 6pts in 18 games (not even 3rd line) and theres really nothing to suggest hes a future 2nd line player
He's had a very rough year with injuries. and he put up 43 points in 73 games the year before.
even with his injuries and playing on the 3rd line he was still on pace or close to match that total if he played all 82 games.
21 points in 43 games with an injury riddled season isn't that bad.
He's only 25... Let's see how he does when he's healthy again. prob going to do well in NJ.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's had a very rough year with injuries. and he put up 43 points in 73 games the year before.
even with his injuries and playing on the 3rd line he was still on pace or close to match that total if he played all 82 games.
21 points in 43 games with an injury riddled season isn't that bad.
He's only 25... Let's see how he does when he's healthy again. prob going to do well in NJ.
Im talking about Anderson and Leaf fans expecting him to be just as good as Johnsson.

I expect Johnsson to have a great season with NJ

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im talking about Anderson and Leaf fans expecting him to be just as good as Johnsson.

I expect Johnsson to have a great season with NJ
Oooooh. I hope he becomes a solid 20-30 point 3rd liner that plays the PK and does all the little things right. no way in hell he becomes a 2nd liner. I just dont think Joey Anderson has that kinda scoring potential.
I think Joey Anderson can become a very successful NHLer in his own way. no need to expect the impossible from him.
Thought you were talking about Johnsson that whole time. lol I like AJ going to miss him. after all the time watching my leafs fail. I dont even care what they do anymore. I just want them to freaking win, whatever the cost.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This is amazing. Three weeks ago Johnnson was "trash", had "negative value". It says so many times - right here:

Proposal: - MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

Today Johnsson is a pretty good player. How did he improve so much in such a short time?
I just read the entire 7 pages of the thread you posted. I blocked KaprizovEntitleist (for obvious reasons) a long time ago so I was not able to read any of his posts, however the thread was pretty respectful I would go as far as to say the Leaf posters were far more rude and disrespectful than any of the Wild posters. Why aren't you also bringing up the fact that so many Leaf fans were convinced AJ had higher trade value than he actually had, if you want to point out discrepancies? You seem like you just wanted to play the victim card in this post.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
23 pages for Andreas Johnsson? I didn’t think he was that important of a player.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
May not be fancy analytics or anything but , Anderson could not crack the Devils lineup . Yes , the team that did not even make the playoff play-in round . In limited viewings (only his NHL games ) , he looks like a capable bottom 6 forward. He has shown nothing to suggest he is going to be as good as Johnsson . Yet.
His stats history has shown the same. He was never an elite scorer at any level . Sure he could still turn out to be as good or better than Johnsson , stranger things have happened. I however would not bet on it and would be very surprised if he did.
I’m not rooting against him , I hope he ends up being a full time NHL player . But for now , Johnsson is the superior player and I’m glad to have him on the Devils.
Hopefully Leaf fans can say the same about Anderson .

Reactions: meefer

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
May not be fancy analytics or anything but , Anderson could not crack the Devils lineup . Yes , the team that did not even make the playoff play-in round . In limited viewings (only his NHL games ) , he looks like a capable bottom 6 forward. He has shown nothing to suggest he is going to be as good as Johnsson . Yet.
His stats history has shown the same. He was never an elite scorer at any level . Sure he could still turn out to be as good or better than Johnsson , stranger things have happened. I however would not bet on it and would be very surprised if he did.
I’m not rooting against him , I hope he ends up being a full time NHL player . But for now , Johnsson is the superior player and I’m glad to have him on the Devils.
Hopefully Leaf fans can say the same about Anderson .

at andersons age, johnsson could not crack the leafs lineup.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Anderson turned 22 in June, are you from the future?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad