Speculation: NJD Severson and 2018 #17 OA for LHD

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gardiner had 52 points this year, Severson had 24. What part of Seversons game more than makes up for being doubled in offensive production?

Severson is 4 years younger and is signed longterm. Gardiner needs a new contract next year and will get significantly more than Severson.

I think Gardiner is a fine player but that isn't the type of player that the Devils need. Yes, Gardiner's offensive production is better, but their games are similar in that the main knock on them is consistency.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Severson is 4 years younger and is signed longterm. Gardiner needs a new contract next year and will get significantly more than Severson.

I think Gardiner is a fine player but that isn't the type of player that the Devils need. Yes, Gardiner's offensive production is better, but their games are similar in that the main knock on them is consistency.

No offence, but at the moment that Severson contract is a negative. You'd be hard pressed to find a team to take that 4M cap hit until 2023.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So if Severson was hampered by Moore and he is gone now, who do you pair Sevs up with with the current lefties? Greene, Butcher, Mueller
To take that further, who do they add on the left side and does that guy go with Sevs. UFA lefties/Names out there: Jack Johnson, Ian Cole, MDZ, Hutton

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So if Severson was hampered by Moore and he is gone now, who do you pair Sevs up with with the current lefties? Greene, Butcher, Mueller
To take that further, who do they add on the left side and does that guy go with Sevs. UFA lefties/Names out there: Jack Johnson, Ian Cole, MDZ, Hutton

I don't have any interest in signing any of those guys

I think that the Devils are going to trade for a top 4 LHD this offseason

XXX-Vatanen
Greene-Severson
Mueller-Butcher

Reactions: Smitty426

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No offence, but at the moment that Severson contract is a negative. You'd be hard pressed to find a team to take that 4M cap hit until 2023.

200w.gif

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What happened to all the great Devils D prospects? Jon Merrill, Eric Gelinas, John Moore, Steve Santini? Weren't they all supposed to be the next top-4 for them?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ian Cole could actually be an intriguing option in free agency. Pittsburgh missed him after the trade, no one else really intrigues me though. Curious to see how this all plays out.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What happened to all the great Devils D prospects? Jon Merrill, Eric Gelinas, John Moore, Steve Santini? Weren't they all supposed to be the next top-4 for them?

Merrill stinks and got selected by Vegas in the expansion draft
Gelinas had all the tools and no toolbox
John Moore was never a prospect when he was in NJ.
Santini will still be a decent NHL player IMO

Reactions: Smitty426

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Merrill stinks and got selected by Vegas in the expansion draft
Gelinas had all the tools and no toolbox
John Moore was never a prospect when he was in NJ.
Santini will still be a decent NHL player IMO
Poor Vegas had to take someone off of our roster, we were struggling trying to figure out who to protect last year. What a difference a year makes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad