Speculation: NJD Severson and 2018 #17 OA for LHD

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Tanner Pearson put up the same amount of goals as a 21 year old in 32 less games. I believe Debrusk is being overhyped greatly; I'd take Muzzin over Pearson anyday too.

You mean 2014-2015 (where he was 22 since August) where he did 16 points (12G / 4A) in 42 games (0,38 PPG)? DeBrusk did 43 points (16G / 27A) in 70 games (0,61 PPG) this year, all that playing on the second line with Krejci. If we add that to his impressive performance in the playoffs, it is not really close... DeBrusk had a way better season as a 21 y old season than Pearson had at 22.

Again, nothing against 29 y old Muzzin (who is a good defenseman with a good contract), but cherry-picking stats (goal scored) to say DeBrusk is "overhyped" does make you look a bit like a homer here (and I'm not a Boston fan, by the way).

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'd rather just keep Severson and still look to add Carlson if I'm Shero. I don't see where the Devils maximize Severson's value this summer without taking a serious risk. It's either trade Severson and cross your fingers you can sign Carlson or sign Carlson and then try to trade Severson when the entire league knows you have too many RDs.

Something like this going into next year has the potentially to be solid:

Greene - Carlson
Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Severson
Lovejoy

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I'd rather just keep Severson and still look to add Carlson if I'm Shero. I don't see where the Devils maximize Severson's value this summer without taking a serious risk. It's either trade Severson and cross your fingers you can sign Carlson or sign Carlson and then try to trade Severson when the entire league knows you have too many RDs.

Something like this going into next year has the potentially to be solid:

Greene - Carlson
Butcher - Vatanen
Mueller - Severson
Lovejoy
Except we know he won't be used as a #7.

Reactions: My3Sons

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
You can pick between MDZ or Hutton ;)
but in all seriousness You could probably get a decent return with that. EDM is probably your best trade partner to try and get Kelfbom.

Exactly what I was thinking. Delete LD Klefbom , add RD Severson, then switch Russell back to the left side. See works good for both teams! :thumbu:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
how is the cap situation in NJ? Sekera for Severson swap?

Our cap situation in NJ is awesome...arguably the best in the league. But yeah not even remotely interested in that deal.

Except we know he won't be used as a #7.

eh, he was healthy scratched like 30 times this year. I agree with your point though.

if Carlson is signed and you can't move Severson, you could always dump Lovejoy for like a 6th. Some team would take him with 1 year left on his deal.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
A menial pick/prospect doesn’t equalize it.. not even close.

It’s immaterial anyway. We can’t purge all three of Severson, Zacha and Wood in a deal like that.

LOL, Benson is hardly a menial pick at #32 overall. And what has Zacha done so far that makes him so great except be a disappointment?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Our cap situation in NJ is awesome...arguably the best in the league. But yeah not even remotely interested in that deal.

eh, he was healthy scratched like 30 times this year. I agree with your point though.

if Carlson is signed and you can't move Severson, you could always dump Lovejoy for like a 6th. Some team would take him with 1 year left on his deal.

There will always be a market for someone like Severson. I don't care if we do sign Carlson, if we decide to make Severson available, we'll find a trading partner.

It's not like other teams are going to brush off Shero, knowing we have a surplus of RHD with Carlson/Vatanen/Severson/Santini/Lovejoy, because they're not getting him at a discount price.

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

But he is the key to NJ penalty kill and blocking Santini.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Oh, i dont think the contract is all that pretty, but hes a good leader, still good defensively, and right now, the only really experienced center on the team (assuming Aho is their 1C next year and Necas makes the jump). They have enough young ELC talent on that team where his contract doesnt yet outweigh everything he brings, that's all.

Staal is worth more the Canes then in trade.

He’s a work horse and possession monster

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There will always be a market for someone like Severson. I don't care if we do sign Carlson, if we decide to make Severson available, we'll find a trading partner.

It's not like other teams are going to brush off Shero, knowing we have a surplus of RHD with Carlson/Vatanen/Severson/Santini/Lovejoy, because they're not getting him at a discount price.

I don't think Shero's stupid enough to trade Severson at a discount, but other GMs are also smart enough to realize Shero has to budge somewhere.

I still think the better avenue for Shero would be to just go into the season with an excess of RD barring a deal he can't pass up. Greene - Mueller - Butcher down the left side; hypothetically, Carlson - Vatanen - Severson down the right side. Let Santini play top minutes in the AHL -- I'm 90% sure he doesn't have to pass through waivers yet -- and earn his way into the line-up. It also buys a bit of time for the Devils to see how the left side holds up.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Just wondering why not?
Severson has been tethered to John Moore for most of his career and still has been a play driver and good ES performer. Hanifin is a nice player but gets overrated because of where be was picked

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, its what he brings to the team, he might be overpaid by 1m per, he would be a luxury on a deep team as a 3C, but his pay is 2C. That’s really where he’s at, Brind’Amour sees him like that.

Right. And i think its a good spot for him. Especially on a team thats projecting to run a rookie as 2C and someone still getting their feet wet as a 1C. I wouldnt move Staal if i were carolina.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If you can pull his NMC, Edler? Not for the OP but as a LD in general?

Hutton and MDZ....honestly Pouliot too as he is getting way too much slack from Green.

We have some LD in Vancouver for various prices was my point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad