Speculation: NJD Severson and 2018 #17 OA for LHD

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
I'd consider it for Klefbom. Idk though, depends on how bad Severson has played this year. Was he really that bad?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd consider it for Klefbom. Idk though, depends on how bad Severson has played this year. Was he really that bad?

He has all the tools — and even showed off his bomb of a slap shot a few times for goals — but it’s all between the ears with Severson. There are times he visibly second guesses himself and coughs up the puck, makes a bad pass, etc. It’s incredibly frustrating to watch night in night out as a fan, because you’re never sure which Severson is going to show up on a given night. Dude looks like he belongs in the McAvoy conversation one night, and then the next night does his best Eric Gelinas.

He’s very young so the upside is tremendous. I personally would like to hang onto Severson and see his story through to the finish, but if there’s something really juicy like Hanifin on the table, you’re not doing your job if you don’t listen.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Here is a good story on Severson by Todd Cordell
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd...-Jersey-Devils-trade-Damon-Severson/159/92888
"Over the last two seasons, only 19 defenders have tallied more primary points at 5v5. Severson has matched the likes of Dustin Byfuglien, Zach Werenski, Ryan Suter and Mathew Dumba in that regard. "
I was impressed by his 5v5 #s. Many Devs fans feel Sevs was being dragged down by Jon Moore. Not sure I saw enough of that this year. Sevs looked bad down the stretch and in a PO game or two without Moore's help.
Fact remains that he is 23, a righty signed to a good deal, has offensive abilities and a good shot. Moore probably wont be back so if Sevs stays he has no one but himself at this point to blame. With that said if we could score a top-ish LHD we should do so, with Sevs as a pkg or not!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Severson being healthy scratched in the beginning of the 1st round has increased speculation that he would be traded during the off-season. With possibility that the Devils might try to lure RD John Carlson in as an UFA, Severson becomes expendable. Devils most definitely need help on the left side with Moore leaving and Greene aging. What top 4 LHD would teams be willing to part with for the package above, and small adds if necessary?

I think the oilers and Devils could be of interest to each other here

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Severson + 17 for Muzzin

do it Ray (who drafted Muzzin when he was with Pittsburgh)

I'd flip Severson with Zacha or McLeod.

You know that I'm not in love with Severson's game atm but we can't afford to give up a promising dman + a potential dman with the 17th overall pick for a 29 year old Muzzin.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It does seem like it and righties were the flavor not that long ago

Nah. :)

Show me some "stats" to back that strange claim up.

Truth is, there are FAR more left-handed D in the league than right handed. The chances that "everyone needs" the guys that there are the most of, is beyond slim.

member 88115

This is a pretty brutal offer, honestly.

I wouldn't even come close to considering Martinez for Severson straight up... and NJ downgrading from 17OA to a 3rd rounder makes it even more egregious.
Martinez has raised his level to the point most Kings fan are OK with trading Muzzin. Our D pairing were looking (before the injuries):
Forbort-Doughty
Phaneuf-Martinez
Muzzin-Folin

And Muzzin had a great season last year

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Martinez has raised his level to the point most Kings fan are OK with trading Muzzin. Our D pairing were looking (before the injuries):
Forbort-Doughty
Phaneuf-Martinez
Muzzin-Folin

And Muzzin had a great season last year
Our defensemen are severely underrated. There was a Bruins fan that thought trading Debrusk for Muzzin would be a highway robbery. Guy is a legit #1B Two-Way D signed to a fantastic contract.

As far as Martinez goes he's a solid #3 that can log a shit ton of minutes and play at a high level.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Our defensemen are severely underrated. There was a Bruins fan that thought trading Debrusk for Muzzin would be a highway robbery. Guy is a legit #1B Two-Way D signed to a fantastic contract.

As far as Martinez goes he's a solid #3 that can log a **** ton of minutes and play at a high level.

Without saying Muzzin is bad, I must admit DeBrusk is awesome... And 21 y old. If the Kings want to properly rebuild, that is the kind of move they would have to make.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Without saying Muzzin is bad, I must admit DeBrusk is awesome... And 21 y old. If the Kings want to properly rebuild, that is the kind of move they would have to make.
Tanner Pearson put up the same amount of goals as a 21 year old in 32 less games. I believe Debrusk is being overhyped greatly; I'd take Muzzin over Pearson anyday too.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad