Speculation: NJD Severson and 2018 #17 OA for LHD

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Severson being healthy scratched in the beginning of the 1st round has increased speculation that he would be traded during the off-season. With possibility that the Devils might try to lure RD John Carlson in as an UFA, Severson becomes expendable. Devils most definitely need help on the left side with Moore leaving and Greene aging. What top 4 LHD would teams be willing to part with for the package above, and small adds if necessary?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson being healthy scratched in the beginning of the 1st round has increased speculation that he would be traded during the off-season. With possibility that the Devils might try to lure RD John Carlson in as an UFA, Severson becomes expendable. Devils most definitely need help on the left side with Moore leaving and Greene aging. What top 4 LHD would teams be willing to part with for the package above, and small adds if necessary?
My dream is a combination of Severson, Zacha, or the 2018 1st would land us Noah Hannifin. i woudnlt be willing to trade all 3 for him though.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
My dream is a combination of Severson, Zacha, or the 2018 1st would land us Noah Hannifin. i woudnlt be willing to trade all 3 for him though.
Carolina is set on D so I would assume its PZ and #17th. I think the ask would come with NJ taking back one of Williams or Staal (with some retention).

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
You can pick between MDZ or Hutton ;)
but in all seriousness You could probably get a decent return with that. EDM is probably your best trade partner to try and get Kelfbom.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
You can pick between MDZ or Hutton ;)
but in all seriousness You could probably get a decent return with that. EDM is probably your best trade partner to try and get Kelfbom.
Id hope not.

I mean this as no slight against Severson. But Id hope 1) Oilers keep Klef and see if he a redeem himself (which he did from Christmas on) being fully healthy now and 2) not sell low on him as I think he can be a lot better than Severson in both ends of the rink.

Even tho technically Severson + 17OA isn't selling low...im still hesitant on pulling that trigger.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Carolina would think about Severson + 17th for Hanifin. If they think Severson can get back to his play the year before he might be a good Faulk replacement and allow them to trade him. The issue is money, Severson only was paid 2.5 in cash last year and his actual cash goes up each year. Carolina seems to want to shed salary so they might not want to take someone with a deal like that and prefer one who's salary is lower than their cap.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's funny how LHD are the most sought after and before it was RHD.

Not sure who you can get for that. Chicago and if they have interest in moving Keith, and that's if New Jersey feels Keith is worth it?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think Carolina would think about Severson + 17th for Hanifin. If they think Severson can get back to his play the year before he might be a good Faulk replacement and allow them to trade him. The issue is money, Severson only was paid 2.5 in cash last year and his actual cash goes up each year. Carolina seems to want to shed salary so they might not want to take someone with a deal like that and prefer one who's salary is lower than their cap.

And then that promising Top 4 would be comprised of Slavin, Pesce, Fleury and Severson... :help:

For Hanifin to be in play for the Devils, his contract ask will have to be over the top. There's little motivation to move him for New Jersey's expendable centerpiece, unless Hanifin forces it.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
It's funny how LHD are the most sought after and before it was RHD.

Not sure who you can get for that. Chicago and if they have interest in moving Keith, and that's if New Jersey feels Keith is worth it?

Keith has a NMC that I doubt he would waive to go to NJ. With that being said I would feel a trade of Keith to NJ would be in both teams best interest.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah should have qualified that. Dump is wrong word. Williams, could use dump. But Staal has some length left 5 yrs @ $6M ea

Oh, i dont think the contract is all that pretty, but hes a good leader, still good defensively, and right now, the only really experienced center on the team (assuming Aho is their 1C next year and Necas makes the jump). They have enough young ELC talent on that team where his contract doesnt yet outweigh everything he brings, that's all.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
what about Edmonton 10th + 40th overall + Matt Benning. Draft the best defenceman available for Severson + 17th ov

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And then that promising Top 4 would be comprised of Slavin, Pesce, Fleury and Severson... :help:

For Hanifin to be in play for the Devils, his contract ask will have to be over the top. There's little motivation to move him for New Jersey's expendable centerpiece, unless Hanifin forces it.

If Severson plays like he did prior to this season the only dropoff with him and Faulk is goal scoring. He could replace him in the top 4 no problem. I like Fluery and think he will be a top 4 guy eventually, probably better to spend another year on the bottom pair but with him and Bean someone will have to go on the left and Hanifin before he gets a big deal could be it. Saves money as he should get paid more than Severson and move Faulk for Puljujarvi to save even more and strengthen the forward core.

Hanifin is going to be stuck on the 2nd pair in Carolina with Slavin ahead of him. Severson isn't as good and doesn't have the same potential but is more suited to be a 2nd pair guy. You lose a little on the backend going from Hanifin and Faulk to Severson and Fluery but save good money, improve the forward group of you get Puljarvi and could land another good prospect at 17 like Kaut, Kupari or Kravstov.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Severson being healthy scratched in the beginning of the 1st round has increased speculation that he would be traded during the off-season. With possibility that the Devils might try to lure RD John Carlson in as an UFA, Severson becomes expendable.

It might be tough to trade Severson before July 1st. If he were on the block, we'd probably have to wait for the dust to settle from free agency (we very well could miss out on a RHD, but could land a LHD). As it stands right now, trading Severson would just open up a hole on the right side on defense.

If Hanifin were available that would be a different story, but I'd imagine Carolina would want something better than Severson.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If Hanifin were available that would be a different story, but I'd imagine Carolina would want something better than Severson.

And better than a 17th.

If the Devils took the full cap hit of Darling that might balance it. No way they include Staal or Williams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad