Confirmed Trade: [NJD/EDM] Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
As mad as i feel about the Subban i'm really starting to feel sorry for the Oilers.
At least we got a comparable replacement in our trade.You guys just got completely taken to the cleaners. One of the top young wingers in the game for a D-man yout hoping turns out to be at least a #2 D-man.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Larsson is still incredibly young and has a ton of room to grow. Yes, the devils won this deal right now but I would not be surprised if Adam turns into a beast of a #1. He will most likely get more opportunity to get more points in EDM since NJ refused to put him on the PP. The kid is a gem defensively and has some really good vision when he gets a chance in the offensive zone. 35-45 point shut down #1 is where I see Larsson in 2 years or so. Dmen develop slower folks...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Devils won the trade, but people (especially Oilers fans) are really undervaluing and under appreciating Larsson. The guy is an elite defensive defenseman who will get more point playing behind a competent offense, as his passing is very good. He'll never be an end to end rush guy, but he's a solid top pairing defenseman.

Larsson has come on the last 1-2 seasons. Has looked better after a slow NHL start to his career, but NJ definitely wins this trade.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
You might want to watch him play. There's a reason he lead the Devils at +15 despite a largely negative goal differential.

I have watched him alot as a NYR fan. Nothing special and NJ robbed Edm in this deal. He is a top 4 turning 24 in november and has 5 years behind him in the league. Giving up a top line winger like Hall for that is crazy.

Btw Girardi was a +18, second best +- on NYR. That says everything you need to know about the importance of +-

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Larsson is still incredibly young and has a ton of room to grow. Yes, the devils won this deal right now but I would not be surprised if Adam turns into a beast of a #1. He will most likely get more opportunity to get more points in EDM since NJ refused to put him on the PP. The kid is a gem defensively and has some really good vision when he gets a chance in the offensive zone. 35-45 point shut down #1 is where I see Larsson in 2 years or so. Dmen develop slower folks...

Turns 24 in November. Thats not incredibly young at all.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
Curious, if any EDM fans see this.

Would you rather keep Hall and draft a D at 4th

or have Larsson and Puljujarvi.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Can [MOD] fans finally admit that acquiring a Top4 defenceman even is quite expensive. I don't see Larsson having any much more potential than Guddy, and our deal was only a potential top6 scorer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hey u need a strong d core to win, larsson and nurse is a good start...mcdavid jesse dra rnh eberle nail, they still have offense

Reactions: koyvoo

Henchmen 21

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Don't get it, Edmonton finished 2nd worst in the NHL, so making moves to sacrifice the future for today seems counter productive. This trade is gonna look ugly in 2 years when Lucic is breaking down and Larsson is Edmonton's #3 defenseman

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
EDM traded one of the top LW in the game for potential. That's essentially it. And Chiarelli is banking on that potential that Larsson turns into a true top defenseman. If it doesn't pan out oh boy will this go down as one of the worst trades in the teams history I think.

But it's clear with the way the market was and how desperate EDM is for defense it was going to cost a lot. I get that.

Yup, but the sun will come up in the fall and we will be watching a completely different team from the one that started last season. A team that finished second last again should be going out and making some changes. More to come, I'm sure.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
I get HERO charts aren't the be all end all.... but Edmonton traded Taylor Hall for this;

125e3e68452a48bb81f2783f62ee0191.png

All that is essentially a #5, bordering on becoming a #4 for a premier scoring winger.

Watch the guy play. He's not an offense guy. He's a guy that has top line potential. I just think EDM could've gotten him and a little bit more for Hall.

Reactions: koyvoo

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie

Personally for the Oilers Id rather have Larsson + Puljujarvi then Hall + Sergachev (who oilers were rumoured to take of Pool party didn't drop).

Both of Larsson and Puljujarvi being RH shots is a big plus for me and Oilers can't wait 2-3 years for a D they draft this year they need D man now, also have enough forward depth and veterans that they can bring Puljujarvi along properly even without Hall.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Watch the guy play. He's not an offense guy. He's a guy that has top line potential. I just think EDM could've gotten him and a little bit more for Hall.

So add 0 offense to his shot suppression being a little bit above average, and his possession numbers being below average. Not exactly worth Taylor Hall.

It's not to say Larsson couldn't have a crazy turn around like Hedman did, but betting Taylor Hall on that kind of turnaround seems a bit crazy.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Can't be spun in any way to make me feel good about this. And I wasn't even a big Hall fan. I expect this to be a massive disappointment and the hope that it's not is so astronomically minimal.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Forwards are always shinier toys. Slight overpay by Oil but were probably getting Lucic for nothing. last year, a signed Lucic and Larsson at 4mill for Hall? ummm yeah.

And Hall was Very shinny. As a fan from the same division I always see Hall as the most dynamic and best player in the oilers team (before mcdavid).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

We would have taken Sergachev. We need to win now. Sergachev can't help us do that. Larsson can. Puljujarvi does replace something of what Hall gives, as does Lucic if we have the good fortune to sign him.

I'm generally more in favor of this Larsson-Hall swap than most. I still see it as a loss in value for us, but no one was going to give us a better deal for anything equal or better.

The real issue is that some out there want us to go after Demers instead or some other option like that. Just like with Sergachev, that would be a half-measure.

So kudos to the Devils for taking advantage of our situation. I'm glad Chiarelli didn't put his foot down and let all our options dry up. He got someone he feels is trending up and will be on our top pairing for many years.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
For what it's worth, being pretty ignorant of the intricacies of each players game here... as a Red Wing fan, given the choice between a solid, defensive minded top 4 D with room to grow, and a 65-80 pt winger, I'd probably most like to add the former.

How well do Larsson and Klefblom compliment each other?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
The bit more added on to Larsson to even the deal out would of been mostly insignificant. Like a 2nd rnd pick or something, woopty do. I'm fine with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad