Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Sami Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I just realized Vatanen looks exactly like the actor who played Rikitin on NBC's Blacklist spy thriller drama series.

:(This is sad, the moment he stopped using his slapshot in Anaheim i knew something was wrong and he wasn't the same anymore but didn't think he'd fall this low when they traded him :(

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I’d be impressed if he reads them

When I picture Bob Murray? Morning dump and his cross word puzzles. Then when he’s done cooking breakfast it’s 2 hours overlooking waiver adds he can do for Anaheim while eating. If he can save a dime he will save a dime.

We’ve already seen his infatuation of waivers. Anaheim just dumped 9 players to it in January.

Last edited:

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Yeah Vats has a reputation for lazy offseasons and slow starts, and this year it's really come back and bit him hard. He waited and waited for a multiyear contract which never came, obviously missed camp, then waited ages for visa clearance, and finally got mired in the Devils' Covid mess and had to quarantine. When he finally hit the ice he was brutal for the first 10 games or so. This coincided with Devils spiraling down the standings which didn't win him any friends, even if he was hardly a singular culprit.

Since that atrocious start he's been decent though. He's been reasonably solid with Murray on 5v5 with stats to show for it, and he's been instrumental in fixing that tire fire of PK that Devils had for the 1st half of the season. His offense is mostly barren but he's been getting few OZ starts and little to no PP. Severson and Subban are obviously ahead of him in pecking order so he's clearly the odd guy out.

His skating is sometimes suspect and he will get coned by explosive skaters from time to time. I don't buy the argument that his positioning would be particularly bad; I think quite the opposite that he's a very literal systems guy who will follow the coaches' master plan to the letter while others may falter, which then will look as if he's out of sync. As NJ defensive coaching of late has not exactly won plaudits, you're free to argue which on-ice strategy is the best, but his is what it is.

But yeah, I fully expect that he will get if not claimed then traded for peanuts right after. I think he deserves one more shot in the big league and some team will give him that, but it's 50/50 at this stage if he isn't KHL bound next year.

Reactions: Oneiro

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Leafs have 3-4 depth dmen better than him. They aren't wasting their remaining capspace on an AHL defenseman.

No offence, but who are all these Leafs depth guys ahead of him. You currently have 6 NHL defenders and that is it. Please don't say Marincin. Not saying Vatanen is any good anymore, but the Leafs are one of the thinnest playoff teams as far as actual NHL defensive depth is concerned. Even one of your Top 4 is out, and you have a massive hole to fill.

Reactions: Mestaruus

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
And as for the adv stats Twitter quoted earlier in this thread, you really should split Vats' season in two. First half, he missed 10 games and was beyond brutal the following 10. Second half so far, over 20 games he's actually a reasonable contributor. Now granted, his eye test performance falls short of his possession numbers, but again that is at least partly due to usage.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
A distant 3 as far as Devil D men to be moved. Should be able to get a mid round pick for Kulikov. Late rounder perhaps for Murray. Sami stays in purgatory.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
A distant 3 as far as Devil D men to be moved. Should be able to get a mid round pick for Kulikov. Late rounder perhaps for Murray. Sami stays in purgatory.
I think the reason Vatanen was waived Was because New Jersey has no more retention spots available so he would have to go at full salary. Retained he would’ve brought a fourth maybe.
I have a feeling Kulikov it’s going to bring in a second. And if he wasn’t bringing in a second I wouldn’t trade them and would take the time to re-sign him. Murray might bring in a third or a fourth And I’d rather just try to re-sign them for a couple years for low salary than just give him up

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think the reason Vatanen was waived Was because New Jersey has no more retention spots available so he would have to go at full salary. Retained he would’ve brought a fourth maybe.
I have a feeling Kulikov it’s going to bring in a second. And if he wasn’t bringing in a second I wouldn’t trade them and would take the time to re-sign him. Murray might bring in a third or a fourth And I’d rather just try to re-sign them for a couple years for low salary than just give him up

Agree on re-signing Kulikov. Cheap and reliable.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
zajac and palimieri. one should be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad