Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Sami Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Sami is a nice a guy, but his play has fallen off a cliff last few years. Injuries and inconsistency always contribute to that i suppose and he's a guy who plays hard, but doesn't have that higher skill level and consistent "take-over" on games defensively.

Fun, gritty guy to watch sometimes, but he's been getting beaten down even when he's played with a solid partner.

Reactions: hn777

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would pick him up on the habs if we can't make a trade happen. Even then, I think we're in need for more then one decent dman.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Vatanen was someone I thought might be a good depth add for the Habs. NJ fans said it would cost a 3rd.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Maybe we could have got 7th round pick for him if we retained 50% but it would actually take away our last retention spot that may fetch better return in case Murray or Kulikov get traded.

And you don't want to pay #7 or #8 depth d-man 2M even if it's prorated.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He barely got a job. He's not good. That's not one "guy" saying he sucks. His numbers are horrible and have been for a while. This site more than any has a fascination with reputation and bottom pair plugs.

He was on a 40 point pace just last year. Yeah injuries have diminished his play but most playoff bound teams don’t have 8 better experienced D on their rosters and D depth is always a target at the deadline. I understand a team not moving assets for him at this point but a team that misses out on the guy they target in trade could put a claim in. Also it’s easy to judge a player on a bottom feeder but time and time again we’ve seen players leave a bottom organization for a top one and rebound. It’s happened with the Oilers a dozen times.

We might even see a seller put in a claim if they are going to sell a D or 2 on the trade market.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Also, Devils need to start clearing few bottom slots to see what they have in some of the D prospects starting to pile up from recent drafts/trades. They need another top pairing guy, but Kulikov/Murray are just interim placeholder/stable guys for a year or two tops and if Devs bring back one of them, Vatanen was always going to become odd man out even ahead of Murray if durability was question mark.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also, its pretty amazing (and hilarious) that the Devils were able to get a 3rd round pick (Nico Daws) and Janne Kuokkanen (who has been one of our most consistent forwards this year) for this guy a year ago.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean, us Devils fans have watched him all year and he clearly has sucked lol he can't move anymore.

but if you don't want to take our word (or the advanced stats word), thats fine I Guess.

No I'm not taking the word of some random person on Twitter you have to have credibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad