Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Sami Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sometimes Gally looks great, sometimes meh, and Ottawa got Dzingel for him, who has been better.

What he went for isn't really relevant, the fact is everybody said he was done but he's come in and exceeded all expectations.

Why can't Vatanen do the same on a good team?

Reactions: banks

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

Why would you be surprised? He sucks. HF Boards is delusional as always.

Does this account/chart maker ever have any insightful takes? Every time this guys' tweets are posted, it's him crapping on bottom 4 defensemen who have too big a role on bad teams, or it's him AKSHUALLYing a bottom 6 winger because they have one, surprising advanced stats based on a very limited sample size.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Does this account/chart maker ever have any insightful takes? Every time this guys' tweets are posted, it's him crapping on bottom 4 defensemen who have too big a role on bad teams, or it's him AKSHUALLYing a bottom 6 winger because they have one, surprising advanced stats based on a very limited sample size.

Isn't this the guy that said Edmunson was one of the worst Dmen in the NHL and that Mete is underrated? Pretty sure anyone watching the Habs will question his work.

Reactions: mattihp

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Based on TOI stats, he was NJD's 3D last year, but he's their 6D this year.
Who have his partners been that past two years? Defensemen can be voodoo based on the situations they're put in.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
We might be seeing Vatanen's last games in the NHL. Very skilled guy but always has had that reputation of not really training hard. Best NHL career for a player from Jyväskylä anyways.

Reactions: Oneiro

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I also find it interesting that NJD fans' main criticism of him is his skating when that was the main criticism for Gusev too.
Being that this is a team filled with young guys who are either speed demons (Wood, McLeod...) or really talented skaters (Hischier, Hughes, Smith...) I wonder how big a factor Ruff's system is.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Vatanen has always been bad defensively but in past seasons he was producing points and playing well on the PP, at least when healthy. This year he's been especially bad in the defensive zone and has been a black hole on offense.

He always tunnels on the puck carrier and will cross oceans after them, leaving his opponent out to dry. He also has horrible starting/stopping which really stunts his ability to transition and pinch.

Also, his conditioning looks especially poor this season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Based on TOI stats, he was NJD's 3D last year, but he's their 6D this year.
Who have his partners been that past two years? Defensemen can be voodoo based on the situations they're put in.

he has played mostly with Ryan Murray this year

more recently, Ty Smith

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Probably because you mostly only see posted waived players

You know, bad players or decent good players coaches haven't given trust or time too

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I also find it interesting that NJD fans' main criticism of him is his skating when that was the main criticism for Gusev too.
Being that this is a team filled with young guys who are either speed demons (Wood, McLeod...) or really talented skaters (Hischier, Hughes, Smith...) I wonder how big a factor Ruff's system is.

I'd be more bullish on goose righting the ship in a new system / team than vats fwiw

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I could see him ending up on the Leafs taxi squad for some D depth. Whether through waivers or at 50% retained in trade, so he can be hidden on the taxi squad off the cap.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Vatanen has always been pretty lazy guy in the off season and has "played" himself to a good condition. Maybe with injuries it has caught up with him. Natural talent can only take you so far.

29 year old Defenseman should have many years in him still.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

It is also why Will Butcher hasn't appeared in many games. Ruff's system is a huge factor.

Ruff is ultimately a stop-gap but my guess is that the organization is also looking at a league with McDavid, the Hughes brothers, etc. and sees the obvious sea change in skating ability. I think Corey Perry types will be rarer and rarer.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I just don't think people understand how to evaluate defensemen play. If they put up points or play a bunch of minutes, they're automatically good. Vatanen can't skate anymore and doesn't bring a physical element. He's not great defensively not not good enough offensively to run a PP over many teams' existing options. So what purpose does he serve?

Vatanen had his best years in Anaheim. This has Bob Murray written all over it. He was also a fan favorite here. This is right up Murray’s alley regarding reclamation project dumpster diving moves he always does. Anaheim should put a claim on him if they are wanting to ship out Manson for picks/prospects on its rebuild.

Reactions: Mestaruus

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Ruff's system, offensively, is based around being quick, strong on the transition, and creating chances off the rush.

Gusev is a very slow east/west style player. He simply couldn't keep up and didnt fit anymore with how we were playing. He was much more suited for the slower defensive Hynes system last year.

Vatanen just seems like he took a step backwards. Still a bottom pairing guy but idk if it was the long offseason and COVID but he just seems overall a much weaker player than last year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Any team looking for depth on the blueline that can fit him in easily under the cap would be wise to take a gamble on him.

Sometimes, all it takes is a change of scenery for an underachieving player to regain his form.

Reactions: banks

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Vatanen had his best years in Anaheim. This has Bob Murray written all over it. He was also a fan favorite here. This is right up Murray’s alley regarding reclamation project dumpster diving moves he always does. Anaheim should put a claim on him if they are wanting to ship out Manson for picks/prospects on its rebuild.
Can’t imagine we can add his salary or his work ethic right now

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Also, its pretty amazing (and hilarious) that the Devils were able to get a 3rd round pick (Nico Daws) and Janne Kuokkanen (who has been one of our most consistent forwards this year) for this guy a year ago.

He's currently worthless player, will probably clear waivers.
One year ago we got 3rd + Kuokkanen.
Two years ago he was probably our best d-man.

There are two lessons, the first one is that biology has no mercy if you happen to catch injury and the second one is that players need to cash in when they're 26-27, not wait unti their 30s.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
There's nothing wrong with his work ethic, he has the right mentality for NHL. He has declined physically.
Unclear by me. And you will likely still disagree

but his off ice work ethic was very suspect in Anaheim

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
all his takes are insightful and he's also extremely handsome

Reactions: Gfroer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad