Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Sami Vatanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
He's obviously not a world beater at this point but he'd be cheap defence depth for a playoff team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No I'm not taking the word of some random person on Twitter you have to have credibility

numbers don't lie. They don't need "credibility"

Also, like I said, every Devils fan will tell you that he has stunk this year

Like I said, claim him if you want. Don't come crying here when he makes a gaffe in the playoffs leading to a GWG against though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
His trade value goes up if he clears waivers, because then the team trading for him can place him in the AHL or the taxi squad without worrying about losing him for nothing.

Galchenyuk was placed on waivers and the Leafs didn't pick him up when they could have had him for free. But once he cleared waivers, they traded a prospect for him, then kept him in the AHL so they could slowly bring him back up to the NHL. That strategy so far looks like it's worked really well, but had they picked him off waivers immediately, he probably wouldn't have stuck.

Reactions: HBK27 and boredmale

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am wondering if the Devils feel Vatanen's value is increased if they can trade him while he is on the taxi squad, that way a team will only have a 925k caphit compared to a 2M caphit to worry about

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Also, its pretty amazing (and hilarious) that the Devils were able to get a 3rd round pick (Nico Daws) and Janne Kuokkanen (who has been one of our most consistent forwards this year) for this guy a year ago.

Yup. Underrated move. Daws will take time but there's a shot there with his development as a goalie. Fitz won the trade and Kuokkanen is a piece that may have some longevity with us as we try to build and compete again next few years.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Being it’s the Devils vs putting him in a different system

I just don't think people understand how to evaluate defensemen play. If they put up points or play a bunch of minutes, they're automatically good. Vatanen can't skate anymore and doesn't bring a physical element. He's not great defensively not not good enough offensively to run a PP over many teams' existing options. So what purpose does he serve?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wow didn't realise he's bad now
Wouldn't mind claiming him if we can't get someone better

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Re-read this thread. Devils fans say he can't play. Advanced stats say he can't play. Somehow you still think he can play based on what?

Well the devils are a very bad team so immediately when a player is on a bad I immediately ask does he actually suck or is he just on a shit team?

Everybody said Gally sucked, he was scratched on the Sens, tell me something do you think Gally sucks?

I never judge players on bad teams until I see them on good ones.

Same thing with Risto in Buffalo everybody says he sucks but he's been a Sabre his career, that team is toxic, put him on a good team see what happens

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I am wondering if the Devils feel Vatanen's value is increased if they can trade him while he is on the taxi squad, that way a team will only have a 925k caphit compared to a 2M caphit to worry about
Of course they do, that's why they did it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Well the devils are a very bad team so immediately when a player is on a bad I immediately ask does he actually suck or is he just on a shit team?

Everybody said Gally sucked, he was scratched on the Sens, tell me something do you think Gally sucks?

Same thing with Risto in Buffalo everybody says he sucks but he's been a Sabre his career, that team is toxic, put him on a good team see what happens

lol

like I said, good luck if you want him on your team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Of course they do, that's why they did it.

All that being said you sort of risk losing him for nothing. I know my Islanders could use another depth defenseman and we have 3.6M in capsapce left so we can pick him up for nothing. Now that being said he currently might cause an issue with our 23 man roster given the Islanders don't seem to want to send Johnston to the taxi squad.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Here's what happened:

Trade offers were probably a 7th rounder.

But if you can stash him on your taxi squad, he's worth a 4th, maybe more. So New Jersey said they'd rather lose him for nothing than get the 7th.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
All that being said you sort of risk losing him for nothing. I know my Islanders could use another depth defenseman and we have 3.6M in capsapce left so we can pick him up for nothing. Now that being said he currently might cause an issue with our 23 man roster given the Islanders don't seem to want to send Johnston to the taxi squad.
It's very doubtful anyone claims him but there's always a risk.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Sometimes Gally looks great, sometimes meh, and Ottawa got Dzingel for him, who has been better.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'm pretty confused about what people are arguing about in this thread. I've read it twice now, and it just seems like people arguing just so they can argue.

Dude got waived. He obviously isn't playing well. Previously in his career, he was pretty good. I'm not sure what else there is to debate?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Ive been a Vatanen guy over his time in NJ. But boy hes been brutal this season. Wonder if part of that is related to how it was a roller coaster start for him between coming from Finland and thus lengthy quarantine then that spell the entire team went through

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is a waiver pickup that Chevy might make. He's not great but he fits the RHD slot. I don't know if he's the player we're looking for, but he's free.

Sounds like he's not the same player he used to be.

Ryan Murray on the other hand would fit in very nicely in the Jets top 4. What is the ask from the Devils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad