Speculation: NJ Offseason Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Yakupov has had ample ice time in Edmonton, they tried giving him big minutes with their best players and he was still a total disaster.

He is a bad player, i've watched him play a ton, it honestly seems as though he simply can't grasp the game at this level. He has a couple of redeeming qualities, he is very skilled with the puck and he is a hard worker, but it's not enough to succeed in the NHL, it's the classic case of all the tools and no toolbox. He dominated juniors because of said skill and work ethic, but in the NHL his total lack of positional sense and inabilty to read the ice make him a total liability in his own end and ineffective going forward. He's constantly one step behind where he needs to be, his skill is rendered practicially meaningless because he doesn't know how to carve out scoring opportunities for himself against NHL calibre defenders.

Yakupov isn't failing as a player because of the Oilers mismanagement, he's failing because he can't adapt and translate his game to the NHL, it's a giant leap up from juniors and right now it doesn't seem like he's going to be able to cut it. He's made little to no improvement in four years, for me personally that's a big enough adjustment period, i can safely say that if it hasn't clicked for him yet it's unlikely that it ever will.

Wow; you make him sound like Alex Daigle. :shakehead

Group Chat Legend*

Can't post insider rumors without first getting approval from the higher ups that it is legit. Something I only learned a year ago.

Swede is already established and that is why it is allowed.

why cant it just not be a rumor?

like today my buddy told me his cousins girlfriends brother heard that Shero is shopping Severson (just an example btw, no one ever told me this)

no one is actually going to take that seriously, but at least its a discussing point right?

all im saying is im saltier than the dead sea right now without a beat writer, and then im given some tantalizing fruit I cant eat?

lame.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Woah woah woah woah woah, hold the ****ing phone. I go on the trade board for a few minutes and I see that Severson may be available!? What the ****? Does anyone have more info on that!?

I'd be beyond rattled if he got dealt. I still believe he has some insane potential and it'd be way, way, way too early to trade him. I don't want to say they'd have given up on him if he was dealt because I believe Shero could get a good return for him but it's still not worth it to trade Severson right now, not in the slightest. Now I'm going to be worried all weekend :( :(

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
why cant it just not be a rumor?

like today my buddy told me his cousins girlfriends brother heard that Shero is shopping Severson (just an example btw, no one ever told me this)

no one is actually going to take that seriously, but at least its a discussing point right?

all im saying is im saltier than the dead sea right now without a beat writer, and then im given some tantalizing fruit I cant eat?

lame.

Because then you get lots of unsourced stuff getting passed around as fact.

It's an old rule for the entire forum.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If someone finds the quote from the new Coyotes GM right after he traded for Goligoski he says it really well how in today's game teams need to have defensemen that can help create offense by jumping into the play, helping create chances for their forwards, etc. I think Severson has that ability in him. Not only that I think he's one of the few defensemen we have with that ability. I just don't see how trading him can make us better in the long-run, barring a massive return that I can't even picture right now. It'd be filling a hole to create another one, one we arguably need filled more.

Unless this is a real long-term plan and they think they can snag Sergachev in the draft, bring in someone this off-season to help us through the transition and then whoever we get in return can step in immediately.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Woah woah woah woah woah, hold the ****ing phone. I go on the trade board for a few minutes and I see that Severson may be available!? What the ****? Does anyone have more info on that!?

I'd be beyond rattled if he got dealt. I still believe he has some insane potential and it'd be way, way, way too early to trade him. I don't want to say they'd have given up on him if he was dealt because I believe Shero could get a good return for him but it's still not worth it to trade Severson right now, not in the slightest. Now I'm going to be worried all weekend :( :(

Hes mentioned on TSN's trade bait
http://www.tsn.ca/shattenkirk-vaults-to-top-of-tsn-trade-bait-list-1.512905

Hence the furor about the possibility now.

And stop worrying. If he's moved there's a reason. And it could be worth it.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Severson and 11 for nurse and eberle?

N-O.

Severson and Nurse are about equal value. (I think Severson is better than Nurse, but Edmonton probably sees it the other way).

Eberle is not worth the 11th overall, especially from where things stand with the Devils.

And my guess is, despite the fact that Shero has supposedly been interested in Eberle since his Pittsburgh days is that he's really trying to buy low on him if Eberle is someone he's targeting. If a young defenseman with a lot of upside were on the table for Eberle, Edmonton would have pulled the trigger on that a long, long time ago.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Are any of these supposed insiders ever correct on anything? They always seem vague as all hell, and I usually don't think they have anything more than what you can find at the various rumor sites.

Group Chat Legend*

Are any of these supposed insiders ever correct on anything? They always seem vague as all hell, and I usually don't think they have anything more than what you can find at the various rumor sites.

most talk in broad terms, kind of like how a horoscope works. Leaves it up to the human mind to decipher whether it was right or not, and if its somewhat close than its right.

But some like MacKenzie usually are honest and have true connections.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wonder if ANA would be interested in a Fowler/Severson swap. Anaheim likes Fowler the player but he's on a contract that complicates their cap. Ducks get a young offense defenseman with skill comparable to Fowler, but is you get and MUCH cheaper. They'll get immediate cap relief while replacing Fowler with essentially a younger version of himself.

We obviously get the superior player on a deal that's friendly to us. We might have to add but that might be the basis for a deal.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I wonder if ANA would be interested in a Fowler/Severson swap. Anaheim likes Fowler the player but he's on a contract that complicates their cap. Ducks get a young offense defenseman with skill comparable to Fowler, but is you get and MUCH cheaper. They'll get immediate cap relief while replacing Fowler with essentially a younger version of himself.

We obviously get the superior player on a deal that's friendly to us. We might have to add but that might be the basis for a deal.

Severson could easily become Fowler or better imo, Fowler is not good defensively at all and is overrated by his point totals. Take a look at his HERO chart it's horrendous. Plus Fowler only has two years left before some dumb GM gives him a big raise. Emphatic no on the Devils end.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't know why we're concluding that Severson is the inferior player. From where I sit they're at best even, and Severson is 2 and a half years younger. Meanwhile Fowler is a year away from being a UFA.

I'm fine with Severson's name out there, but he is a potentially special player. Screwing up a Severson deal sets this franchise back quite a bit.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Of course we would need to draft a defensemen at the 11th pick.

Nah. It becomes more of a possibility that we do, but its by no means "need" at 11. We still have a 2nd and 2 3rds to draft D with.

Lets not forget we just brought in Auvitu + we still have Santini and Jacobs and can potentially add someone via UFA.

We could still very easily draft one of the forwards (Keller, Jost, etc.) if Severson is dealt. It all depends who is on the board. Maybe it gives more weight to taking a Bean or McAvoy at 11 if one of the bigger D names aren't available (Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev), but we're still going to need potential top line forward talent going forward even if we acquire someone of that ilk via a Severson trade.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Edmonton won't do that as Wedge has little value. Definitely not enough to get them to give up 4th overall.

Severson and the 11th should be netting us someone like Hall or RNH+.

Their fans and some on here still overvalue Yak due to his draft position.

idk, i'd think a bit more, considering that that 4th could be used in a variety of ways

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
I'm gonna get assaulted for this, and I love Schneider... But I continue to question the fit of this goalie on this team right now. This is a guy that could net this team so much... and on the pace they are on (which I have no issue with), when the are ready to be competitive he is going to be 33, 34,35 years old. In the meantime he is literally hurting the rebuild as 3-4 meaningless wins costs this team 4-5 very valuable draft slots - slots that by themselves are worth high draft picks via a trade up!

It's a shame that the timing did not matchup better but he is such a valuable asset that I fear the team is wasting not only his prime years but their chief asset by not capitalizing. Am I really alone on this?

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'd do Severson for Fowler easily.

I'm starting to open to the possibility of dealing Severson because I think he has pretty good value.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Severson is better than Fowler right now.

FOWLER, CAM 5v5 1135:45 2 goals 7 assist - 4 first assist -.48 points per 60

SEVERSON, DAMON 5v5 1102:39 1 goal 14 assist - 7 first assist - .0.82 points per 60

Fowler's most common forward line-mates have been 1st and 2nd liners:
SILFVERBERG, JAKOB 330:19
KESLER, RYAN 330:16
COGLIANO, ANDREW 321:18
GETZLAF, RYAN 315:06
PERRY, COREY 311:11

SEVERSON's most common forward linemates - simiarly 1st and 2nd liners - Clearly not the talent level of Anahiem though.

HENRIQUE, ADAM 298:14
PALMIERI, KYLE 266:20
KALININ, SERGEY 252:23
GIONTA, STEPHEN 244:39
STEMPNIAK, LEE 236:17
ZAJAC, TRAVIS 220:28

Severson on Ice Shot stats.
SF60 24.98 - SA60 27.97 47.2% 3rd best on the team

Fowler on Ice Shot stats
SF60 28.11 - SA60 29.21 49.0% worst Anaheim defender 8 of 8

FOWLER on Ice Goal Stats
GF60 2.06 - GA60 2.59 44.3% He and Bieksa were the worst Anaheim defenders in this category

Severson on Ice goal stats
GF60 2.01 - GA60 2.29 46.8% 3rd best on the team

CF%
Folwer 48.8
Severson 48.8

Severson 21 years old 123 NHL played
Fowler 24 years old 414 NHL games played

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm gonna get assaulted for this, and I love Schneider... But I continue to question the fit of this goalie on this team right now. This is a guy that could net this team so much... and on the pace they are on (which I have no issue with), when the are ready to be competitive he is going to be 33, 34,35 years old. In the meantime he is literally hurting the rebuild as 3-4 meaningless wins costs this team 4-5 very valuable draft slots - slots that by themselves are worth high draft picks via a trade up!

It's a shame that the timing did not matchup better but he is such a valuable asset that I fear the team is wasting not only his prime years but their chief asset by not capitalizing. Am I really alone on this?

Last year was Schneider's second year as a full-time NHL starter. He has many years of good hockey ahead of him.

Executing a plan such as the one you proposed would put us in Edmonton territory. I'm not interested in filling a team with flighty, skilled players (high picks) that isn't supported by a good D core and a top goaltender.

Build from the net out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad