Speculation: NJ Offseason Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
one of the Edmonton Journal writers, I think it was Matheson, said that we almost traded Gelinas for Yak

so that tells you his value

JBthree24

Jun 3, 2016
Central NJ
Never was a fan of Yakupov and was always 50/50 on RNH. Anyone who knows me knows I've been a on the #CallForHall guy the last two seasons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is literally his draft position that has anyone even thinking of giving up anything of value for Yak. Ya he had some monster years when he was in juniors, but that is in the past now.

He has only played 80 games once. He hasn't cracked 40 points once and he hasn't scored 20 goals once in his NHL career. His +/- is awful.

If he is going to be a game breaker in the NHL he would of shown something by now. You can't even blame it all on Edmonton being a circus because RNH and Hall have both still been able to produce at a higher level.

You can gamble on him as a project that will turn into something, but hell no to giving up something like Severson for him.

Edit: The time to trade for Hall was a year ago. He is now in the prohibitively expensive area. He isn't worth it.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
It is literally his draft position that has anyone even thinking of giving up anything of value for Yak. Ya he had some monster years when he was in juniors, but that is in the past now.

He has only played 80 games once. He hasn't cracked 40 points once and he hasn't scored 20 goals once in his NHL career. His +/- is awful.

If he is going to be a game breaker in the NHL he would of shown something by now. You can't even blame it all on Edmonton being a circus because RNH and Hall have both still been able to produce at a higher level.

You can gamble on him as a project that will turn into something, but hell no to giving up something like Severson for him.

Edit: The time to trade for Hall was a year ago. He is now in the prohibitively expensive area. He isn't worth it.

How could anyone get Hall a year ago? He wasn't available (based on rumours). He is more likely available now, but I can't see why they would trade him. He is one of the best LWs in the league.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How could anyone get Hall a year ago? He wasn't available (based on rumours). He is more likely available now, but I can't see why they would trade him. He is one of the best LWs in the league.

He has been rumored to be on the block constantly. Almost everyone in Edmonton has been over the past two years it seems. That was the time to buy low on him.

Now it is a buy high (unless anyone believes the Harmonic/Hall rumor some Edmonton paper reported on).

Apparently McDavid is the only player off the table in Edmonton and they want defense badly.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I actually think we would be a decent fit for Yakupov, but I don't know what his value really is. Just because we supposedly almost traded Gelinas for him doesn't mean that same value holds true now. Maybe Chiarelli really liked Gelinas. I happen to think Yak's value is higher among GMs than it is around here. Whether that's right or wrong, who knows. Maybe he'll do better elsewhere, or maybe he'll just never put it together.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I actually think we would be a decent fit for Yakupov, but I don't know what his value really is. Just because we supposedly almost traded Gelinas for him doesn't mean that same value holds true now. Maybe Chiarelli really liked Gelinas. I happen to think Yak's value is higher among GMs than it is around here. Whether that's right or wrong, who knows. Maybe he'll do better elsewhere, or maybe he'll just never put it together.

It sets what Shero thinks Yak's value is, which isn't much. I doubt we would offer anything more than Merrill for Yak and we might not even do that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm very interested in obtaining Yakupov, would have loved to get him for Gelly.

But I wouldn't wanna give up Severson or a really high pick either.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It sets what Shero thinks Yak's value is, which isn't much. I doubt we would offer anything more than Merrill for Yak and we might not even do that.

And if he doesn't think Yak is worth it, I'm more than fine with that. I certainly don't think it's a guarantee that Yak would do better elsewhere. It seems like his brain can't keep up with his physical skills, and that's not something that can easily be fixed. Look no further than the aforementioned Gelinas.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I just see things easily turn into a situation where we are just sitting for the next two years hoping he becomes what his draft position says he can and never does.

Don't want to give up anything valuable with that risk.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Saw this posted somewhere.

RNH + Eberle for Severson + #11

I'd do that. Will never happen though. I feel like we have been waiting for a trade with the Oilers since 2009. :P

For ***** and giggles...

Cammalleri Henrique Eberle
Zacha RNH Palmieri
Boucher Zajac DSP

That top 9 can score 180+ goals by themselves. Ahhh a man can dream.

Last edited:

kiwidevil

Larsson #2 defensive Dman / Greene #2 defensive Dman
-
-
-
-
Moore #5/6 skating Dman / Merrill #5/6 Defensive Dman

There's your defense before free agency if you trade Severson.

Santini will struggle to be a top 2 Dman, more middle pairing at best in his prime, Jacobs is very unknown. Schlemko if signed, is a #4/5 Dman preferably.

Everyone we have here has very little room to move potential wise and none are particularly dynamic.

I hope Shero's plan isn't to patch crap up Volchenkov/Tallinder style. I don't see how you can trade our only real true option for the top four other than Larsson/Greene. Most UFA D's turn out to be failures and the likes of Demers will be 20 point Dman on this team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Volchenkov and Tallinder were good signings to Lous credit and they were apart of the defense that made the Cup Final. If Severson is traded I am sure Shero will look via free agency or make another move to strengthen the defense.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
If we get can get RNH by trading Severson+ (excluding #11), I'd be stoked.

I've warmed up to letting JQ go.

I'd like to see what JQ could do first, TBQH. We haven't really had much of a look at him.

Boucher - JQ - Blandisi might be entertaining.

We could even expand on that for a bit...

Camm - Henrique - Palms
Boucher - Zajac - DSP
Elias - Zacha - Blandisi
Kalinin - JQ/JJ - Farnham

With some adds in FA, that could be better...

Camm - Henrique - Palms/XXXX
Boucher - Zajac - Palms/XXXX
Elias - Zacha - DSP
Kalinin -JJ/JQ - Blandisi
Farnham

While there's no bonafide 1C there, I think the center depth is better than we think:

1) Henrique can score, just needs to iron out the efficency and get better at FOs
2) Zajac is very defensively sound and is better suited to the 2C role

At this point, I think Zajac/Rico are rather interchangable. Not in terms of similarity, but role. Do we need some firepower on the 1 line tonight? Rico. Need better defensive coverage and a decent FO and Board presence? Zajac. The only knock I have with Rico is he sometimes makes bonehead plays, and Zajac is way too conservative.

3) Zacha had some flashes with Patty and DSP, and is more of a driver on that line than a passenger getting dividends. If Patty doesn't come back, we find someone. I put Zacha as 3rd C as we need to shelter him a bit, but Elias and DSP have the experience to help out in that respect. Most players would probably pay more attention to Patty than Zacha.
4) JQ is still somewhat unknown, and AFAIR from last few years, JJ isn't a loose cannon (a la Gio/Bernier/whatever scrub was there)

While Farnham is relatively expendable, his energy would be more useful than bringing back Gio/Tootoo/Ruutu/Tlusty, so I put him in as our 13th. He chips in some points, plays a gritty fast game and is also surprisingly responsible. Had some rough patches last season, but who didn't?

I know some aren't big on JJ, but I noticed that the PP runs much better with him on it than off... he may not put up points, but he does drive the PP quite well. Plus, he's our SO expert (sadly enough :shakehead)

Defense... fairly obvious.

Greene - Severson
XXXX - Larsson
Moore - Schlemmer (if he resigns, he indicated he wanted to)
Merrill

I think we need to split up G/L. Give Severson someone to rely on and I think he'd play a bit better, and Greene can cover for him.

Giving Larsson a new playmate may make our defense slightly weaker, but would spread the good stuff around.

Moore and Schlemmer would work as a 5/6 combo. Schlemmer is craft enough to cover for Moore, and I think Moore will be better this coming season; he knows he won't move AGAIN and may be more comfy.

Merrill needs to earn is spot a bit harder.

(Note: I suck at putting D on the proper side)

Or I suck at making lines.

kiwidevil

Tallinder played 3 games in the 2012 playoffs and Volchenkov only played 16 mins a game.

But it proves the point of how terrible the defense was back then, that we needed to sign 2 UFA's just to fill major gaps. Volchenkov was overpaid, ineffective and was bought out and Tallinder never amounted to much at all.

Greene and Salvador's strong play and Bryce's uncanny offense is what carried the defense that year.

Last edited:

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Tallinder played 3 games in the 2012 playoffs and Volchenkov only played 16 mins a game.

But it proves the point of how terrible the defense was back then, that we needed to sign 2 UFA's just to fill major gaps. Volchenkov was overpaid, ineffective and was bought out and Tallinder never amounted to much at all.

Greene and Salvador's strong play and Bryce's uncanny offense is what carried the defense that year.

At least Volch was a trooper and tried, and was generally liked for his first few seasons. Tallinder coasted and crashed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Volchenkov and Tallinder were good signings to Lous credit and they were apart of the defense that made the Cup Final. If Severson is traded I am sure Shero will look via free agency or make another move to strengthen the defense.

I disagree, both ended up being very poor signings including a buyout.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Volchenkov and Tallinder filled a need at the time, and both had good stretches as a Devil. They were good signings.. at the time.

Yet another example of the downsides of free agency contracts; they're great ideas in the moment, but rarely are fans still as stoked at the end of the deals.

That's just how it is. I'm not sure you can classify as a 'good' or 'bad' contract.. it's just your everyday free agency deal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I disagree, both ended up being very poor signings including a buyout.

At the time of the signings, I think Tallinder's didn't look too bad.

He just ended up being mostly not very good for us, advanced stats be damned. And he just declined and fell apart at a younger age than expected. He barely played a year older than Colin White did. And Lou somehow got the same GM (I think?) that wouldn't re-sign him when we gave him that deal, to take him back for the last year of that deal.

Volchenkov was a bad contract and signing, all the way around. At least at the price we got him for. A one dimensional defensive defenseman at a cap hit higher than many of the forwards on the team at the time and for 6 years term and at least some kind of no trade clause or limited I think. Another bad thing about this contract was that we had both Salvador and White signed for two more years after we signed him. And didn't we even have Mark Fraser on a one way contract at the time? I'm about to throw up.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tallinder was a better signing than Volchenkov in my opinion. Volchenkov had already clearly lost a step before he got to New Jersey, Tallinder lost his step in New Jersey...

Either way, those acquisitions were a necessity more than anything. Martin had just walked, Oduya was just traded, White was on a clear steady decline, Salvador would miss that entire season with an inner ear concussion...Even with those two acquisitions the Devils had to use a rookie Fayne, they started the season with Urbom, Salmela for 48 games, Toarmina for 17 games, Fraser for 26 games, Corrente for 22 games...2010-11 was the worst Devils defense ever iced.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Tallinder was a better signing than Volchenkov in my opinion. Volchenkov had already clearly lost a step before he got to New Jersey, Tallinder lost his step in New Jersey...

Either way, those acquisitions were a necessity more than anything. Martin had just walked, Oduya was just traded, White was on a clear steady decline, Salvador would miss that entire season with an inner ear concussion...Even with those two acquisitions the Devils had to use a rookie Fayne, they started the season with Urbom, Salmela for 48 games, Toarmina for 17 games, Fraser for 26 games, Corrente for 22 games...2010-11 was the worst Devils defense ever iced.

The signings of FA defensemen were necessary due to a record of poor drafting over time.

Draft picks did not pan out as expected.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Tallinder was way better than anyone gives him credit for being, and he was excellent at the beginning of the 2011-12 season before having that blood clot destroy his NHL career.

Volchenkov was used in critical PK situations but 5 on 5 he was never a factor in NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad