Post-Game Talk: NJ (3) v. WSH (2), OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yup, points are all that matters. Crosby brings nothing else to the table /sarcasm

Ovi was a PLUS 105 over 4 years. He lead the league in EV goals for 3 straight years - led the league in shots 6 times. Ovi doubled the production of 2nd point leader on his team until his 4th season. I think people forget just how bad the Caps were until Ovi came.

I am not saying Ovi is so much better than Crosby, but that he has had the better career.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If we're playing fantasy, sure

Isn't that what playing armchair GM is? After those first four years, if I'm looking around the league and get to pick one player for free to start a new team, I pick Ovechkin. 10 out of 10.

The contested statement was "at no time was Ovechkin better than Crosby," and that's clearly debatable, since we're debating it. Obviously if we're saying "right now," you take Crosby no question, whether it's for his career OR just this season. Unless of course, you're the Caps and a boring kid like Sid isn't gonna save your franchise (also debatable).

apice3*

I don't debate Crosby vs. Ovechkin anymore. I did it for years. Anyone who picks Ovechkin doesn't understand the complexities of hockey. There's no other way around it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ovechkin isn't even top-5 anymore.

I can't imagine anyone would disagree.

Seriously let's get back to talking about Ovechkin. What the hell happened to him? I don't buy the "guys know how to defend him now" stuff. That hasn't stopped any elite player ever in the game of hockey like it has Ovechkin. Maybe Cheechoo. :laugh:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't debate Crosby vs. Ovechkin anymore. I did it for years. Anyone who picks Ovechkin doesn't understand the complexities of hockey. There's no other way around it.

Lol. I fine it hard to believe anyone would take Crosby prime over Ovi prime. Ovechkin 65 goal season is one of the greatest years of all time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The dirty little secret of comparing Ovechkin-Crosby is Ovechin's teams actually had more talent for at least a couple of those years, but never were able to do anything in the playoffs.

apice3*

Ovechkin at 27 years old is 2 years removed from his prime. Crosby is still getting better.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yea hockey is about scoring more goals than the other team. And Alex is one of the greatest goal scores ever.

From 07-11 Ovechkin was a PLUS 28, 8, 45, and 24. That equals to being a plus 105.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
there is more to hockey than goals.

Especially when comparing a center to a wing. Especially when Ovechin frequently had Backstrom and other talented players on his line while Crosby frequently has had to make do with dreck such as Pascal Dupuis on his wings.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Especially when comparing a center to a wing. Especially when Ovechin frequently had Backstrom and other talented players on his line while Crosby frequently has had to make do with dreck such as Pascal Dupuis on his wings.

Crosby played with Malkin.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
There is more to hockey than doing math.

I am sorry. I wasn't lucky enough to watch every single game Ovi and Sid played over their careers. I have to rely on statistics.

It takes a team to win a Cup not 1 player.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Not all the time, not anywhere close to all the time.

Yea but they always played on the PP and frequently on 5on5. Ovechkin had 106 points (52g) playing with Zubrus and Halpern. Zubrus was 2nd on the team with points with 57 pts.

apice3*

That's not what we're arguing. Crosby's greatest value lies in his ability and drive to improve himself in whatever area he finds himself lacking.

I'm not really arguing at all, just commenting. Every single person not affiliated with the Capitals that truly understands the sport will say Crosby. Ovi is more appealing to the eye of casual fans because he hits, he scores goals, he showboats and has more of a personality, but it's really not a contest.

Crosby played with Malkin.

Mostly on the PP, not so much ES. ES he has most recently played with Dupuis and Cooke. Ovechkin played with Backstrom, Semin, and Mike Green. You don't have a case there. Or anywhere, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad