Post-Game Talk: NJ (3) v. WSH (2), OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ovechkin is not the Ovi from old but still, Tallinder shut him down completely.

Eh, not to diminish Tallinder, but Ovi is a shell right now.

I considered him the best player in the league a couple years ago. Now I don't even want him(given the contract).

Semak

I thought it was short side inside the pipe, but the shot was so quick it seems no one got a good look at it:laugh:

apice3*

I'm pretty sure it went through Neuvirth. Literally through him. There was no space whatsoever to get it by him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's only a couple guys in the league who can get that goal with very little room. Ovechkin can, but haven't seen it in some time.

I don't fault any goaltender for getting beat like that by Kovalchuk. If it's some scrub, or someone who has a weak shot like Parise, I can. That shot isn't gonna be very powerful coming from most guys.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I must have watched the Kovy goal at least 25 times since yesterday. Just an incredibly ridiculous shot.

I thought Marty's post game comments of Kovy's goal were pretty cool. He mentioned how the Russian players especially, play with a curve and he guaranteed the reporters that the puck would enter the net on an angle. Sure enough it checked out. Probably not some huge revelation, especially if you play, but it was just cool to hear him giving an education to the reporters during the presser and explaining how great of a shot it actually was.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Eh, not to diminish Tallinder, but Ovi is a shell right now.

I considered him the best player in the league a couple years ago. Now I don't even want him(given the contract).

I think he'll bounce back. But he needs to learn some new tricks, and learn to mesh with his team's system better. Defences have adjusted to him, and the old moves don't work anymore. I'm sure he doesn't like hearing how he needs to be more like Kovalchuk, but that's really what does need to happen.

I thought it was short side inside the pipe, but the shot was so quick it seems no one got a good look at it:laugh:

I thought it went over his shoulder just inside the pipe. Picked the corner clean. Looking at the replay I think maybe Neuvirth didn't get over in time and it went past his blocker short side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVNdirINTx4

at about 56 seconds you get a good angle on where the shot went through. very nice shot

The best thing I got out of that clip was that Joe Beninati misidentified Greene as Josefson. :laugh:

I guess you can't blame him though, nobody would expect Greene to be camped in the crease like that.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
It looked to me Neuvirth was caught very slightly out of position and facing a slightly different angle when Kovy's shot went in the net. It seemed like the puck went behind Neuvirth into the net from the sharp angle; if Neuvirth had the post covered or was closer to the net facing Kovy, the goal doesn't happen. But that goal also doesn't happen if Kovy isn't...well, Kovy.
Kovy definitely surprised Neuvirth, I don't think Neuvirth expected him to shoot from that sharp an angle.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Regardless of Neuvirth's positioning, that was a hell of a snipe job. Most players couldn't accurately get the puck on net from that angle, even given ample time to line it up. Kovy did it in less than two seconds.

apice3*

At no point in his career has Ovechkin been the best player in the league. Crosby has been better since day 1. Anyone who thought otherwised was just being enamored by the flair Ovi brought to the table.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Regardless of Neuvirth's positioning, that was a hell of a snipe job. Most players couldn't accurately get the puck on net from that angle, even given ample time to line it up. Kovy did it in less than two seconds.

wait wait wait...i have a super kewl idea! lets have him on the pp for 2 mins and have him play the OTHER side of the ice!! itll work trust me! oorrr wait wait....how about, we just make him a right winger1! i mean he shoots right, he should play right. right? right.
fml

everytime hes on that side, magic happens. have other teams ever heard of stamkos? **** i bet kovy could get back to 50 goals if he ONLY played on that side. so lame. whatever. a win is a win and the name on the back of the jersy doesnt matter...yadda yadda whatever. score 60 goals kovy. do itttt. ok not this year but u get my point.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
This in random but Since we just played the Caps it got me thinking. If Ovi has a crappy 48 game season and then follows that up next year with a crappy full season do the Caps buy-out that contract?

Gotta be honest its something i would really think about if i were them.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
At no point in his career has Ovechkin been the best player in the league. Crosby has been better since day 1. Anyone who thought otherwised was just being enamored by the flair Ovi brought to the table.

I disagree with that.

1st year goes to Ovi. Ovi 52g - 54a for 106pts vs Sid 39g - 63a for 102pts
2nd year go to Sid. Ovi 46g - 46a for 92pts vs Sid 36g - 84a for 120pts
3rd year goes to Ovi. 65g - 47a for 112pts vs Sid 24g - 48a for 72 pts (in 53gp)
4th year goes to Ovi. 56g - 54a for 110 pts vs Sid 33g - 70a for 103pts

I could do more, but Ovi has been the better player in their careers. And I take durability as a skill since Sid hasn't been able to play as much as Ovi.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
This in random but Since we just played the Caps it got me thinking. If Ovi has a crappy 48 game season and then follows that up next year with a crappy full season do the Caps buy-out that contract?

Gotta be honest its something i would really think about if i were them.

No chance in hell. His worst season so far he scored 32g. 2nd worst has been 38g. Sure he gets paid a **** ton, but I expect him to be a 40+g scorer in the league for a long time.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I disagree with that.

3rd year goes to Ovi. 65g - 47a for 112pts vs Sid 24g - 48a for 72 pts (in 53gp)

I could do more, but Ovi has been the better player in their careers. And I take durability as a skill since Sid hasn't been able to play as much as Ovi.

For real. I pick the guy putting up 65 goals without Malkin on his line and powerplay. And damn, looking at those numbers for the first time in awhile, it's amazing what's happened to Ovechkin. Has a near-generational talent ever just disappeared like that?

His playoff numbers are still elite, except last year when his numbers dropped with ice time, could it be he's just bored of the regular season? Claude Lemieux/Danny Briere syndrome?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I disagree with that.

Yup, points are all that matters. Crosby brings nothing else to the table /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad