Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
My friend, who has played all or almost all Metroid games, got lost playing that game and felt it to be a little silly. He liked it, but he likes others more. Funny thing was, it was my copy he played because I bought it and didn't play it yet. The only Metroid game I really played was Fusion, which I beat, and **** did I love that game. And that one is supposedly the hardest?

Is it? I just had to play it on emulator maybe 10 years ago, but I didn't find it particularly hard. Especially when you consider that it always tells you where to go on the map, while the first 3 Metroid on NES/GB/SNES games gave you nothing. I don't have an unbiased frame of reference though since I played Super Metroid so long ago that any replay of it I generally know where to go.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I remember trying Hollow Knight last year and not liking it. It was around the same time Dead Cells went into early access, which I enjoyed way more.

Do you still play Dead Cells? Has it been improved upon/optimized during the year since its release? It piqued my interest, but I never picked it up. Now that there's going to be a physical version released for the Switch in a month, I'll probably get into playing it here shortly.

I get lost then get frustrated and go back to Paladins. I'll probably finish it eventually but I'm having too much fun with the former.

Probably helps I never gave Overwatch a try when it was all the rage.

If you aren't using the Wayward Compass charm while you're exploring the map, I'd highly recommend you do that. It made it a lot easier for me to navigate when I was first starting out in the game. That, and the Gathering Swarm charm were the two mainstays whenever I went exploring.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do you still play Dead Cells? Has it been improved upon/optimized during the year since its release? It piqued my interest, but I never picked it up. Now that there's going to be a physical version released for the Switch in a month, I'll probably get into playing it here shortly.

If you aren't using the Wayward Compass charm while you're exploring the map, I'd highly recommend you do that. It made it a lot easier for me to navigate when I was first starting out in the game. That, and the Gathering Swarm charm were the two mainstays whenever I went exploring.
I have it I just didn't know where to go. I spent so long just doing laps around the first underground area before I realized I had to fight the boss in the middle.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I have it I just didn't know where to go. I spent so long just doing laps around the first underground area before I realized I had to fight the boss in the middle.

Yeah, that's a pretty common thread I found while exploring new areas in Hollow Knight. I never knew where to go to progress the story, so I spent a bunch of time looking around for grubs and hidden areas. I can see how it could get frustrating to someone actually trying to make progress in the game, haha.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I’m seriously thinking about selling my PS4 and getting a Switch. I’m heading to France in a year and will need something portable, and currently most of our local EBs are out of PS4s so prices on the secondhand market are good.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
anyone here have experience with overcooked?

i know a guy who recommended it to me and i'll probably get it but i just wanna hear other input.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What the f*** I just realized Octopath comes out in 3 days.

I remember looking to see if the release date was announced every day for like two months after playing the demo. f*** man I can’t wait to play this game, I honestly think it has the potential to be one of my favorite games ever.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, that's a pretty common thread I found while exploring new areas in Hollow Knight. I never knew where to go to progress the story, so I spent a bunch of time looking around for grubs and hidden areas. I can see how it could get frustrating to someone actually trying to make progress in the game, haha.
Right now I feel progression locked by a clear need for an air dash move that I just can't find. Either that or I need a key for a few things.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Right now I feel progression locked by a clear need for an air dash move that I just can't find. Either that or I need a key for a few things.

What are the grubs for? I think I've freed 5 of them so far

I really can't say anything to either of you without spoiling at least a little bit of the game, so I'll refrain. Just keep 'sploring. You'll eventually find what you're looking for.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really can't say anything to either of you without spoiling at least a little bit of the game, so I'll refrain. Just keep 'sploring. You'll eventually find what you're looking for.
I know. I just can't go for longer than an hour cause I get agitated when I don't make progress. I'm starting to get the sense that I need to farm money for a little while just to advance.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Just wanted to let the Octopath fans know that they've convinced me. I was reading everything here and the game sounded interesting so I looked it up and sounded more interesting so I preordered it.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Octo is too many paths. Ain't nobody got time for that.

If it was Quadpath Traveler I might be interested.

:sarcasm:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Will be picking up my pre-ordered copy sometime on Friday.
Will finally play the 2nd demo tonight or tomorrow at some point.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm gonna watch some folks streaming Octopath when it comes out, because honestly it doesn't seem to appeal to me at all. Reddit and all the other social media is going nuts for it however. So, maybe I'm just missing something. Definitely doesn't seem like a game I'd be willing to drop $80 on though. We'll see, I've been (frequently) wrong before.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Apparently the theme of the Octopath reviews are that the combat, the music and the presentation are all awesome, but the narrative structure and possibly tons of grinding brings it down.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
In all seriousness, the 8 character structure is not appealing to me. Everything else about the game is, but not the 8 different stories.

Interesting.

To me that's the unique aspect of the game: the ability to experience to game from 8 different perspectives.

Now how well it's done and how different it actually ends up being will have a big impact on whether or not that aspect is enjoyable IMO.

Although I wasn't entirely joking. 8 playthroughs seems like a lot. :laugh:

(...particularly when you don't own your own Switch and would need to steal your buddy's when he wasn't looking.....)

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Same. I can't wait to play it. I have other Switch games I've barely played but goddamn this looks good.

Seriously, I own BotW, Odyssey and Mario XCOM and I've only barely played Odyssey and that's it.
I still really want to try out Mario XCOM. Looks like it would be a lot of fun. I need to eventually pick it up. It seems like it is always on sale somewhere.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I got the full version of the game last time it went on sale on the eShop. The Donkey Kong DLC is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad