Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist to DAL for 2023 1st (Top-10 Protected) and 2025 4th (Conditional)

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Great deal given situation. What does Dallas farm system look like? Any prospects that could've gotten instead of the pick?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m going to get out ahead of this now, NO ONE should be saying that this opens up the possibility of trading the Rangers 1st this year. This years draft is going to be VERY deep. Keep both picks. If Drury wants to extend this window, this is a good opportunity to do so. Make a couple of good picks in next years draft and get a couple of nice ELC skilled players entering the NHL at a good time when they will be sorely needed.

Also makes up for not having a 1st this year as next years draft is significantly better.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Could see Dallas being garbage 2024 like someone already mentioned. Imagine picking top 5. Anything between 11-15 in next year's draft should be great as well.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Unprotected pick on 2024 is kinda big, Dallas could be garbage in two years.
Yeah, but they have to end up with a top 10 pick in 2023 for us to get that pick. Not impossible, but if Oettinger players like he did in the playoffs, they probably make the playoffs again this year.
Trade board considers this a home run for the Rangers.
Because the mob mentality rules there, and trolls feed into it. One year where he didn't set the world on fire somehow erases everything else he has done since being drafted.

remember the last time we traded a player for a first. No Lias Andersson type draft picks please. Hope they use this 1st on a good young player.
We got Cuylle for that pick. That's a win in my book. The odds are pretty high that Cuylle will be a more impactful player than Lias.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Great deal given situation. What does Dallas farm system look like? Any prospects that could've gotten instead of the pick?

None that they would have given up or else we probably would have made that deal.

Johnston wasn't happening, Stankhoven wasn't happening not matter how much I tried to wish it into existence, Bourque probably wasn't happening.

Dellandrea was kind of a realistic "best case" and honestly, the pick is probably of equal value with it being potentially more value in a few months. We've seen these conditional picks turn into gold for teams (Colorado in the Duchene deal, Ottawa in the Karlsson one) and I don't think its out of the question that Dallas takes a similar turn to those teams. Even if they don't and the pick ends up being a mid-ish to late 1st, it essentially gives us a re-do on the Nils pick in a better draft year.

I would have rather had the 3 prospects names above for sure, but this is about as good as you could have realistically hoped for. IF the rumors of them only receiving offers of a high 2nd at the draft were true, getting a 1st in a much better draft is a huge win, especially for a player who has major hurdles that he needs to clear to become a quality NHL player.

remember the last time we traded a player for a first. No Lias Andersson type draft picks please. Hope they use this 1st on a good young player.

Brady Skjei?

He got us Braden Schneider.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Can’t hate the return. On one hand, too many posters on here completely misevaluated Nils and said he was terrible which was false, and obviously Dallas agreed with me.

On the other hand his value shouldn’t have been significantly worse than Schneider’s as he’s roughly equivalent as a prospect.

That being said, after the trade request and the obvious fact that we had decided he wasn’t in our future (which I don’t agree with), you can’t hate getting an additional first in a draft loaded with forwards and centers and a fourth to boot.

I wanted Nils here on the left side but the divorce is on him too. B+ to Drury for salvaging this.

I always said I’m fine with Nils being part of a package for a young center. Now maybe he will end up being that.

Better not trade this pick at the deadline for a rental or a non long term piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad