Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist Requests Trade

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
that's a very professional way to say there are no takers on the Lundkvist front
ugh

Thats a unique take lmao.

I wouldn't say that there are no takers, but its likely that they haven't gotten the offer they want.

I'd wager that Drury is hoping to have him moved before the 21st and if he doesn't, he'll allow him to play the season over in Sweden.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
How is this “inexperienced GMing”?? What was Drury supposed to do? Trade him before last season when they were leaning towards him having a spot to start the season to see what he can do? Before Schneider got promoted and they saw what he could do, having him jump Nils on the rankings? It is reported the Rangers had an offer of a 2nd round pick at the deadline, likely from MTL. The writing has been on the wall for awhile? You mean since 3/4 of the way through last season? And then what was offered around that point was a 2nd round pick. Who was the talented forward being offered that you seem to know was available and offered that Drury passed up on? It is rumored Drury wants a young player of equal value back, not the 2nd round pick. Seems like he is doing a good job of not letting a guy like Gorton try to take advantage of him and the situation.

I just don’t understand some here. I mean I sorta get it. Some of you are so jaded by the history of this team…but I know many didnt even live through that shit storm of the early 2000s and have only really experienced playoff competition, and yet you act like this franchise just does so many things wrong.

The team does do too many things wrong. You act like we should be thanking it for making the playoffs despite not winning the Cup but once in 80 years.

Nils’ situation has been mishandled just like Kravtsov before him. The GM either needs to keep his assets in line, make room for them, or get top value for them when he has the chance before it becomes a problem. Once is excusable, this is like the third time this has happened. Chris Drury doesn’t have a good enough handle on his prospect situation, probably because he and the organization changes courses midstream from rebuild to “who gives a shit about prospects, we are gonna ride Chris Kreider and Jacob Trouba till the org faces it’s next rebuild.”

Reactions: RagFinMet

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Thats a unique take lmao.

I wouldn't say that there are no takers, but its likely that they haven't gotten the offer they want.

I'd wager that Drury is hoping to have him moved before the 21st and if he doesn't, he'll allow him to play the season over in Sweden.
hopefully, I just can't help but feel this is going to end in a situation where this staggers on and results in Drury having to kneel for just a mid round pick or a 2nd (if he's even that lucky at this point). Clearly other organizations don't value Lundkvist as highly as we want to think, Detroit and Vancouver "being interested" then seemingly never hearing anything from them again on this trade front worries me.

Maybe there truly is deeper problems with Nils that we don't realize right now as a player. It's very easy to blame it on depth

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The team does do too many things wrong. You act like we should be thanking it for making the playoffs despite not winning the Cup but once in 80 years.

Nils’ situation has been mishandled just like Kravtsov before him. The GM either needs to keep his assets in line, make room for them, or get top value for them when he has the chance before it becomes a problem. Once is excusable, this is like the third time this has happened. Chris Drury doesn’t have a good enough handle on his prospect situation, probably because he and the organization changes courses midstream from rebuild to “who gives a shit about prospects, we are gonna ride Chris Kreider and Jacob Trouba till the org faces it’s next rebuild.”

How am I acting like we should be thanking them for making the playoffs? Because I don’t and won’t subscribe to this exaggerated dramatization about how bad things are handled by this organization? What are the “too many” things this organization has done wrong that makes them so different than the rest of the league? That they are the black sheep of the league. I think you are confusing this organization with the Buffalo Sabres. Or the Arizona Coyotes. How about the Edmonton Oilers. I am trying to understand this unrealistic expectation you have of this organization, or any NHL organization for that matter. Have we handed out bad contracts from time to time? Sure. Have we maybe overpaid a player a little from time to time? Sure. Have we missed on draft picks? Sure. Have we hired the wrong coaches at times? Sure. Have we signed aging vet before or a player that just doesn’t fit at all? Sure. But you do realize EVERY other team makes these common errors from time to time?

The second paragraph is complete and utter nonsense. Especially the bolded. You are expecting perfection. Perfect everything. Perfect handling, perfect roster management, perfect timing of asset evaluation. This insanely the biggest bullshit expectation I may have ever read from a sports fan. Let me emphasize FAN. What GM operates that way? I mean lets keep in mind not every GM gets to have as many prospects/assets as Gorton/Drury did, which by in large has created these situations. You keep harping on Drury, yet Gorton was here for a good portion of this too. Lias Andersson. How was Nils supposed to be handled differently? I laid out for you the timeline from last year and you had nothing to say about that.

And then to stake the claim that Drury “doesnt give a shit about prospects”…what f***ing planet you living on pal? Have you seen the roster lately? Are you living in an alternate universe where the Rangers have an old, aging roster? Are you confusing us with the Islanders? Last I checked the Roster this year is set up to have 9 players that we drafted on our own (Igor, Jones, Schneider, Miller, Kakko, Chytil, Lafreniere, Kravtsov, Kreider), and another 3 that we traded for while still young and breaking into the league (Lindgren, Fox, Zibanejad). You could throw Trouba into that 2nd group being that we got him at 25. God forbid they have any quality veterans in the lineup… shame on them for keeping Kreider around and adding Trouba — who again was added when he was 1) 25 Years old 2) we were weak on RD 3) had no idea what Fox would be come.

Smh man. Smdh.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
It is sad that Lundkvist does not want to dominate the AHL (he has not even done that), and would rather request a trade than wait for injuries. He is really entitled to a spot. showing a lack of character here. Imagine if all other 1st round picks requested trades because they were not NHL regulars 4 years after their draft year. Look at Lias Andersson, also requested a trade he is just as bad as he was here but on the LA Kings. If the Rangers can trade Lundkvist for a 2ed and draft the next Bergeron, Lucic ( both 2ed round picks in 2003) id take it at this point. Cuylle who they drafted with the 2ed round pick they got for Andersson, will be a better pro player than Andersson.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I can't help but laugh at this neophyte nonsense.

It is sad that Lundkvist does not want to dominate the AHL (he has not even done that), and would rather request a trade than wait for injuries. He is really entitled to a spot. showing a lack of character here. Imagine if all other 1st round picks requested trades because they were not NHL regulars 4 years after their draft year. Look at Lias Andersson, also requested a trade he is just as bad as he was here but on the LA Kings. If the Rangers can trade Lundkvist for a 2ed and draft the next Bergeron, Lucic ( both 2ed round picks in 2003) id take it at this point. Cuylle who they drafted with the 2ed round pick they got for Andersson, will be a better pro player than Andersson.
Anderson was a headcase even before he got here. My hope is that Nils is just being fed bad advice. That he will show up to camp and show he deserves a spot. If not than go prove it in the AHL. He did not prove anything yet but he is young and was a rookie. I'm hoping he wises up and realizes talk is cheap. Show us. Nobody wants him to be great more than the NYR organization and fans.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
No one is wrong here. Drury is doing what literally every GM ever would have done in his spot, it's so standard its weird it's even a discussion let alone how it drags on. Nils wants what is best for his career. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out. This happens when you have a glut. Good problem to have.

How we this hysterical already, pre-season hasn't even started yet.
Poor Jacob Trouba, almost dead of natural causes at 28.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Newsday requires a subscription but you can quickly skim in the article.

Lemieux said Lundkvist is in Sweden and he will not report to training camp.
Well there is the confirmation, he's a dumbass, but it's likely idiot Lemieux giving him that great "advice".

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
some players don’t want to work. Trade him while he has some value if any at this point.
F’it. Let him rot. This is not a LA situation. We actually got fair value for that goofball. If we can’t here, then just wait. I’m not interested in letting some other team make out like bandits ad we get pennies on the dollar. Meanwhile, he is screwing himself and his career.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If I'm drury... "We tried to trade you, the offers were underwhelming, you're either gonna have to go to camp or sit this one out"

No one is wrong here. Drury is doing what literally every GM ever would have done in his spot, it's so standard its weird it's even a discussion let alone how it drags on. Nils wants what is best for his career. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out. This happens when you have a glut. Good problem to have.

Poor Jacob Trouba, almost dead of natural causes at 28.

I think the only issue for me is that a team like Winnipeg, who needs defensemen, was involved with this team and we ended up giving them a 2nd that turned into a 1st rounder for Copp. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have taken Nils at that point instead of a guaranteed 2nd.

Reactions: Riche16

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Well there is the confirmation, he's a dumbass, but it's likely idiot Lemieux giving him that great "advice".

I've met Nils before. He's a polite, nice kid, always has a smile on his face. He may be unhappy with his role/the logjam in front of him but man....this just wreaks of bad advice from his agent. I could be wrong. But Claude did demand a trade from the Rangers for his own kid (who's done nothing with his "new opportunity" other than getting to live in Manhattan Beach.)

effen

Feb 3, 2018
If I'm drury... "We tried to trade you, the offers were underwhelming, you're either gonna have to go to camp or sit this one out"

I think the only issue for me is that a team like Winnipeg, who needs defensemen, was involved with this team and we ended up giving them a 2nd that turned into a 1st rounder for Copp. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have taken Nils at that point instead of a guaranteed 2nd.
They already have Pionk and Heinola, how many 5'10 - 6 ft. 180 pound guys do they need? Id rather the lotto ticket tbh.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I've met Nils before. He's a polite, nice kid, always has a smile on his face. He may be unhappy with his role/the logjam in front of him but man....this just wreaks of bad advice from his agent. I could be wrong. But Claude did demand a trade from the Rangers for his own kid (who's done nothing with his "new opportunity" other than getting to live in Manhattan Beach.)
I feel like I’ve never seen the guy smile, always looks like a pouty asshole lol

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Newsday requires a subscription but you can quickly skim in the article.

Lemieux said Lundkvist is in Sweden and he will not report to training camp.

His career. Hurting himself more than hurting the Rangers

If we can't get a center who will play in the NHL then we have no reason to move him.

Play a season in Sweden. Still won't have RFA rights. Oh well.

We're the NY Rangers. We may benefit from situations like this. (Fox) but we don't have to lose.

His problem. Report to camp and win a spot.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Honestly if Nils wants to play in the NHL staying in Sweden for another year could delay his return to the NHL by years. Main reason VK is getting a third chance is the Rangers have an open slot for him and are up against cap. Drury wasn’t going to move him for less than full value. VK is lucky there’s still a spot for him. NL has no opening without Injuries. His chances of getting traded for full value even if lights up Sweden for another year are unlikely. Which means he could be stuck for a very long time overseas. I just don’t see CD trading NL for a rental at the next deadline either. I doubt there will be a resolution for NL in the next 2 years that doesn’t have him playing in HFD or NY first. Think about it, based on the rumors we’ve heard, Drury has had or still has disdain for VK for quitting twice and VK never got moved after 2 years of going back to KHL. And Drury would still rather play VK than trade him for 50 cents on the dollar. I think this strategy is doomed to fail unless a sweetheart deal lands in Drury lap. There is literally no rush here. None. NLs value is likely to stay the same if he goes back home unless he has a terrible season in SHL. But that would just end NLs NHL dreams anyway. I hope he reconsiders as I don’t see this strategy working out for him.

Reactions: doming07 and Tob

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With a few exceptions the Rangers have actually done pretty well with their young prospects the last few years.

1. Adam Fox—elite defenseman.
2. Igor Sheshterkin—elite goaltender.
3. K’Andre Miller—well on his way to becoming an NHL star.
4. Alexis Lafrenire—showing very good signs of becoming a star.
5. Filip Chytil—it’s taken him some time but he’s become a good player.
6. Ryan Lindgren—legit top 4 defenseman.
7. Kaapo Kakko—it’s taking time for him too but he is a responsible 200’ player.
8. Braden Schneider—solid rookie pro season.

One would hope that many of the above will take more steps forward this coming season. One would also hope that Kravtsov and perhaps Jones or Robertson will expand the above list in the coming season. + looking at other more recent top picks players like Othmann and Cuylle have progressed very nicely as well as later picks like Berard and Garand.

On Nils until last year he was going very well. I expect him to become a very good NHL player but at least with the Rangers he’s probably looking at more AHL. 2nd round picks Henriksson and Lindbom have been so so but IMO both were reaches where the Rangers took them. The only 1st/2nd round pick that I’d label a bust so far out of the last several drafts is Lias Andersson.

I think we actually have a really good track record.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The incredible highs of winning the Lars-erik Sjoberg award for being top rookie in training camp after his only other competition fled the country has inflated his ego and led him to believe the average NHL performance of 3GP 0-0-0 -2 9:14 TOI can lead him to trophies and stardom.

• Haha
Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Bobrov did a hell of a job before being fired. Andersson, Lundkvist, maybe Kravtsov turns into something. Somebody should leave a bag of burning dog shit on Bobrov’s doorstep. The Rangers need to do a better job scouting these soft mental midgets. Oh that’s right, are they the same scouts who recently said they liked Vesey’s game? I left out the Euro part but maybe there’s something there about the mentality compared to North American prospects. Good riddance Suckvist.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
This is admittedly an irrational and bad take, but at this point you may have to burn the asset to cauterize the wound. Hold his rights, don't loan him and let him sit at home for a season. At some point you have to make an example out of one of these kids. He has been treated fairly and given a legit shot last year, not even coming to camp is absolutely unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad