Confirmed with Link: Nils Lundkvist Requests Trade

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Don't confuse predicting the future with 20/20 hindsight. The Panarin, Kreider and Trouba contracts were all pre-covid/salary cap freeze. Lundkvist was drafted before Trouba and Fox were obtained.

That's why so many conversations here are real silly. I don't know what the Rangers are going to do at the trade deadline, next summer or beyond until I see what happens this year. Circumstances change constantly. Many are in the team's control, but many are not. Get to an inflection point and make your decisions(s) I'm sure the Rangers are doing their due diligence on the trade market and I expect if Lundkvist is indeed forcing the issue something will happen by next week.

One thing that gives me a lot of hope for this management team was the very straightforward decisions to a) spend money and asset capital at the trade deadline and b) to ditch Strome (and others) and sign Trocheck. No screwing around. Make your decision and execute against it. That kind of thinking will be smart and necessary going forward.

He can go to Sweden, but I don't think he can play there unless the Rangers assign him to Lulea. He is under an NHL contract that the SHL will honor.
While it’s true Nils was drafted before fox/trouba, what is interesting is that Braden Schneider was drafted well after all of that, even though we were stacked on the right side. He then played his way on to this team and hasn’t looked back. That could have been Nils spot. He even had the first crack at it. He didn’t play well enough.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
While it’s true Nils was drafted before fox/trouba, what is interesting is that Braden Schneider was drafted well after all of that, even though we were stacked on the right side. He then played his way on to this team and hasn’t looked back. That could have been Nils spot. He even had the first crack at it. He didn’t play well enough.
They also didn’t know for sure they’d be in a position to pick Schneider in that draft but when he was there they went after it, sometimes things change on the fly that quickly, they saw something in him and it seems they were right

Nils appears to be a victim of circumstance and the numbers game but he’s not doing himself any favors holding out especially optics wise when Jones comes out and says he wanted to be at rookie camp and he knows that spot is open and he’s gunning for it

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Everytime a semi big name rumor came up in a trade going to the Rangers last year, Braden Schneider seemed like the name opposing GMs keyed on. Not Nils.

Nils was always the "in a package guy". He needs to get his butt in camp and open some eyes. Slinking back to Sweden is bad for everyone.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Everytime a semi big name rumor came up in a trade going to the Rangers last year, Braden Schneider seemed like the name opposing GMs keyed on. Not Nils.

Nils was always the "in a package guy". He needs to get his butt in camp and open some eyes. Slinking back to Sweden is bad for everyone.
Very true.

What's funny is Nils is a RHD which is so coveted by the league, but his struggles to adapt his game to the NHL size rink, size and speed was apparent. Even though it was only 25 games a team willing to trade for him has every minute of that tape to watch. It wouldve almost been better had he not had any NHL experience, his appeal would be stronger based on his draft pedigree and play overseas.

Which brings us to your point of showing up to camp. Its important for both sides if he shows up and has any type of marked improvement. A big shift. A good defensive play. A goal in preseason. Anything to help alleviate some of the doubt.

You can only rely on what you saw from last season, but now there is also the question of attitude to go with it - whether it is warranted or not. If he sits out camp, I'd be surprised if they got more than a 2nd in value back for him. To me that is the bar.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Writing has been on the wall for a while that Nils would be the one moved, and if it was for a talented forward, especially center, I remain all for it. They have their work to do however because by letting this leak out they are losing their leverage.

Inexperienced GMing.
How is this “inexperienced GMing”?? What was Drury supposed to do? Trade him before last season when they were leaning towards him having a spot to start the season to see what he can do? Before Schneider got promoted and they saw what he could do, having him jump Nils on the rankings? It is reported the Rangers had an offer of a 2nd round pick at the deadline, likely from MTL. The writing has been on the wall for awhile? You mean since 3/4 of the way through last season? And then what was offered around that point was a 2nd round pick. Who was the talented forward being offered that you seem to know was available and offered that Drury passed up on? It is rumored Drury wants a young player of equal value back, not the 2nd round pick. Seems like he is doing a good job of not letting a guy like Gorton try to take advantage of him and the situation.

I just don’t understand some here. I mean I sorta get it. Some of you are so jaded by the history of this team…but I know many didnt even live through that shit storm of the early 2000s and have only really experienced playoff competition, and yet you act like this franchise just does so many things wrong.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
How is this “inexperienced GMing”?? What was Drury supposed to do? Trade him before last season when they were leaning towards him having a spot to start the season to see what he can do? Before Schneider got promoted and they saw what he could do, having him jump Nils on the rankings? It is reported the Rangers had an offer of a 2nd round pick at the deadline, likely from MTL. The writing has been on the wall for awhile? You mean since 3/4 of the way through last season? And then what was offered around that point was a 2nd round pick. Who was the talented forward being offered that you seem to know was available and offered that Drury passed up on? It is rumored Drury wants a young player of equal value back, not the 2nd round pick. Seems like he is doing a good job of not letting a guy like Gorton try to take advantage of him and the situation.

I just don’t understand some here. I mean I sorta get it. Some of you are so jaded by the history of this team…but I know many didnt even live through that shit storm of the early 2000s and have only really experienced playoff competition, and yet you act like this franchise just does so many things wrong.
Agree. It was reported that Drury tried to move him. He wasnt offered anything good enough to pull the trigger. If he had, everyone wouldve been shitstorming that we gave away one of our top 3 prospects for nothing.

Redundancy, especially at the D position is a luxury teams would kill for

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I don't expect a kid to understand this, nor expect him to follow the trials and tribulations of his parent club to the n'th degree while he is concentrating on his own team an ocean away.

But his agent sure a shit should be able to put two and two together and see how Kravtsov shot himself in the foot last season not being in the on-deck circle when our RW depth was depleted almost immediately at the start season.

I haven't read anything, but I still believe Foxy was nursing something last year. He just wasn't playing the puck defensively aggressive like he did his Norris season. Troubs and Schneids play rough games that could cause injury at any moment.

You'd think Nils agent could see the benefit in the kid playing ball this one season in the A while Drury works on a beneficial move.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Even if Zac was pouting for a few days, I don’t think it’s a problem. He did what he was asked to do and I’m very optimistic for him this season, and beyond.
Yeah, Jones went and gained 15 pounds and worked his ass off to be ready for this season. He may end up demanding a trade if not utilized on the roster but he approached it the right away. I have no problem with Lundkvist demanding a trade but I don't think missing training camp helps him going forward. He could problably benefit from attending an NHL training camp even if he's going to be on another team, eventually.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If he truly believes that he can't possibly beat out Schneider, that says something very unflattering about his compete level.

While I think most of us believe Schneider will be the 3RD, that spot is by no means guaranteed.

He can’t beat out Schneider he’s not wrong at all. He can’t beat out any of the guys in front of him let alone get pp time.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Wonder if Nils would have been the main piece for Giroux. The Rangers scouts were in Philly every night close to the deadline, can’t imagine it was just to watch Braun.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Makes you wonder what could have been had the Rangers thrown Nils on the table for Lehkonen.

Admittedly I thought the price was a bit high at the time but in hindsight? May have been the difference between losing in the CF and possibly winning the whole thing.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Makes you wonder what could have been had the Rangers thrown Nils on the table for Lehkonen.

Admittedly I thought the price was a bit high at the time but in hindsight? May have been the difference between losing in the CF and possibly winning the whole thing.
meh. lehkonen wouldn't have taken reaves out or made panarin or copp or strome any more useful.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Nils is the 7th or 8th dman for me, at worst. Libor sucks.

Not signing any bets to PTOs so we need Nils' depth.

Why won't he even try to win a spot? Way worse than what Krav did.

Does nothing for us to get a draft pick for him so I'm not moving him. His choice if he wants to report or not. Won't effect my decision to trade him or not

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Excellent point. Partly due to how highly the Rangers had Schneider ranked (#10-11) You take the best player on your board

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Nils is the 7th or 8th dman for me, at worst. Libor sucks.

Not signing any bets to PTOs so we need Nils' depth.

Why won't he even try to win a spot? Way worse than what Krav did.

Does nothing for us to get a draft pick for him so I'm not moving him. His choice if he wants to report or not. Won't effect my decision to trade him or not

Say he does not report. He is not an RFA and has no leverage, can’t the Rangers suspend him and tell him to stay in Sweden until a trade happens.?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad