Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
"D Nils Lundkvist: SHL (Luleå HF/New York Rangers)*
Lundkvist didn’t just have the best year of any D prospect, he had one of the better years by any player outside the NHL. He’s in a completely different echelon as a prospect today than he did a year ago at this time. His 31 points in 45 games shattered the SHL’s under-20 D scoring record set by Tim Erixon (and Victor Hedman before him). His 42 points 57 games across all competition (he posted 11 points in 12 Champions Hockey League games) combined to lead Luleå in scoring. Wedged in between, he helped Sweden to a bronze medal at the world juniors with eight points in seven games, good for third in the tournament in points by a defenceman. He averaged more than 20 minutes a night as a teenaged defenceman on the best team in the world’s third-best pro league. And he got better as the season progressed, scoring in each of his last four games. All four were from the exact same spot, with half wind-ups, as he begins to get more aggressive and attack off the offensive zone blue line:"

*Denotes the forward, defenceman and goaltender of the year.

Wheeler's 2020 NHL Prospect Awards: Alexis Lafreniere leads...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Joe: "They're not related, Sam"
Sam: "No, Joe. It's Lundkvist with a K, with a K! Hahaha"
Haha how much time does Sam have left in the booth? I can actually hear that.

Also, I’m so torn on who would have to go eventually. It has to be Deangelo right? He’s grown on me though and he’s been petty great PPQB.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Haha how much time does Sam have left in the booth? I can actually hear that.

Also, I’m so torn on who would have to go eventually. It has to be Deangelo right? He’s grown on me though and he’s been petty great PPQB.

If the Rangers trade DeAngelo for a package, fans should riot. The only trade that makes sense is a 1-for-1 trade where we get a player of the same caliber back. Whether that's a LHD (Provorov, Heiskanen, Werenski etc) or a forward (Konecny, Hintz, Connor, Teräväinen etc) doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as we get a player back in a 1-for-1 trade that "hurts" for both teams so to speak.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
If the Rangers trade DeAngelo for a package, fans should riot. The only trade that makes sense is a 1-for-1 trade where we get a player of the same caliber back. Whether that's a LHD (Provorov, Heiskanen, Werenski etc) or a forward (Konecny, Hintz, Connor, Teräväinen etc) doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. As long as we get a player back in a 1-for-1 trade that "hurts" for both teams so to speak.
That was my thoughts about the situation, when I thought we’d flip Nils. I don’t see that happening now though. I’m excited for him to get here and rip up the A.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Or they just play their 4 best D-men on the 2 top pairs
Yes,but contrary to what most believe here, I doubt that management is as keen about moving any defense man from their natural side to their off side. I also do not see a scenario where DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist all take to the ice on the Rangers. Barring injury of course.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes,but contrary to what most believe here, I doubt that management is as keen about moving any defense man from their natural side to their off side. I also do not see a scenario where DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist all take to the ice on the Rangers. Barring injury of course.

A DeAngelo-Provorov trade would make a lot of sense. It hurts for both sides, but addresses a need as well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why does it have to be him? Lundkvist could easily be on the move as part of package to get a top end LD to pair with Trouba.

Right now, we shouldn't move either one. We should see what Lundkvist can do at this level before we make any decisions.

If we had to choose between ADA and Fox, I would trade ADA because ADA is:

1) More expensive
2) Less well-rounded of a player
3) I believe Fox will match his offensive numbers as soon as next year

Obviously we don't have to choose between ADA and Fox, at least until Fox needs to get paid, but those are the reasons why I would choose to trade ADA rather than Fox, if we had to.

Regarding ADA vs Lundkvist, if Lundkvist becomes the next Fox, then I would again choose to trade ADA, but that's still a very big IF right now.

If we are looking at moving one of them now, as opposed to waiting until Lundkvist proves himself, ADA might still be the better trade option as we could likely trade him for a similarly valued player at a different position. We could trade Lundkvist for the same player, but what else would we need to include? And then we'd have to pay both that player as well as ADA.

The bottom line is that ADA is an attractive trade chip for several reasons, but there's really no reason for us to pursue that at this time unless there's a 1 for 1 deal that makes sense. I mean, it won't happen, but if there was an ADA for Werensky deal on the table, that's something we'd have to do IMO.

Reactions: wolfgaze

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Sure, but cannot see a deal with the Flyers. Columbus or Nashville seem like more likely trading partners.

Because the two teams just do not trade with each other. And neither would want to be on the wrong end of a deal when it comes to each other.

i will say its a while since i recall NYR deal w PF that involved talent and risk in both directions

the JF Berube deal was just a few weeks ago:
2020-Feb-19 Traded from Philadelphia Flyers to New York Rangers for future considerations

Flyers did take Malakhov for Kozak during the great veteran dump of 2004
2004-Mar-08 Traded from New York Rangers to Philadelphia Flyers for Rick Kozak and round 2 pick in the 2005 draft

signing Fred Shero cost NYR a 1st that became Linseman but got NYR to '79 Finals

big Kjell and a 2d for Froese in late '86 might been the biggest aside from Lindros

20-Aug-01 Jan Hlavac, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl & 2003 3rd Rounder (Stefan Ruzicka) New York Rangers Eric Lindros

Flyers History - Complete List Of Every Trade

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Right now, we shouldn't move either one. We should see what Lundkvist can do at this level before we make any decisions.

If we had to choose between ADA and Fox, I would trade ADA because ADA is:

1) More expensive
2) Less well-rounded of a player
3) I believe Fox will match his offensive numbers as soon as next year

Obviously we don't have to choose between ADA and Fox, at least until Fox needs to get paid, but those are the reasons why I would choose to trade ADA rather than Fox, if we had to.

Regarding ADA vs Lundkvist, if Lundkvist becomes the next Fox, then I would again choose to trade ADA, but that's still a very big IF right now.

If we are looking at moving one of them now, as opposed to waiting until Lundkvist proves himself, ADA might still be the better trade option as we could likely trade him for a similarly valued player at a different position. We could trade Lundkvist for the same player, but what else would we need to include? And then we'd have to pay both that player as well as ADA.

The bottom line is that ADA is an attractive trade chip for several reasons, but there's really no reason for us to pursue that at this time unless there's a 1 for 1 deal that makes sense. I mean, it won't happen, but if there was an ADA for Werensky deal on the table, that's something we'd have to do IMO.
While I don't think Fox will ever reach DeAngelo's level offensively, I can say with almost certainty that he won't outscore him as long as they play on the same team (if they play roughly the same number of games) due to PP allocation.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am staunchly against trading anyone right now. That is crazy. Right now, Lundkvist is nothing more than a promise.

I do believe that he, DeAngelo and Fox are not all going to be on the team at the same time. It will be very hard for Lundkvist to be the offensive catalyst that DeAngelo is. That type of ability to tilt the ice does not come around all that often.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I agree that Lundkvist I still an unproven rookie but after reading this article and a similar article from Hockey Prospects Euro corespondent, I’m sure excited to see him play. He doesn’t sound like a player who will need a full season in Hartford.

Steven hit the nail on the head though...if we trade DeAngelo, it has to be a comparable talent coming back. No 1-3 trades.

William Nylander?

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I’d really prefer to get a LHD in a deal like that. Also scoring just as equal of a piece at a forward position would be great. I think it would make things a bit easier finding a guy like Provorov or Werenski and keep drafting forwards.

As I type though... we have had what feels like better success drafting and developing D. So it may be easier to nab a very good young forward instead of trying to draft and develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad