Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Hated might be a strong word, but he played him 2 minutes per game on the PP2 before he banished him to the AHL and didn't play him until our blueline was decimated by injuries.
Yeah, he didn't care for him much as a player then, but he's a lot better player now. I haven't seen anything to suggest he wouldn't welcome him as a player now.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As far as AV and DeAngelo---AV liked to coach vets---wasn't really a teaching coach. He wanted his players to figure out his man on man defensive schemes etc. etc. but I don't think he really was into one on one instruction as far as new guys trying to break into the league. He'd rather use a veteran if one were available instead.....and I think that was a big part of why Tony ended up in Hartford and Tony needed to work on his defending. IMO that area of his game has improved dramatically since David Quinn became the Rangers coach because he and his staff will take the time and they also put him in situations that play more to his strengths and FWIW having Trouba around for the tougher assignments makes that a whole lot easier for both DeAngelo and Fox.

Anyway look at Gostisbehere in Philadelphia (AV now the Flyers coach) this year---he kind of became the forgotten man. A couple years ago he looked like he might become a big star. Tony and Gostisbehere have similarities--smallish creative offensive minded D who had to work on their defensive games. One has gone one way--up---the other has gone the other way--down. Glad our guy is the one going up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree that Lundkvist I still an unproven rookie but after reading this article and a similar article from Hockey Prospects Euro corespondent, I’m sure excited to see him play. He doesn’t sound like a player who will need a full season in Hartford.

Steven hit the nail on the head though...if we trade DeAngelo, it has to be a comparable talent coming back. No 1-3 trades.

William Nylander?

Konecny, Hintz, Connor, Provorov, Werenski, Heiskanen, M. Tkachuk, Barzal. That's the type of player you target in a DeAngelo trade IMO

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
All good names and of the caliber player I’d expect back in a trade. I feel like your have to add in a trade for Connor, Tkachuk, and Barzal.
I'd do DeAngelo for Barzal like yesterday if that was an actual option. Imagine panarin and Barzal on the same line. They would have posession the entire shift.

maris

Oct 20, 2005
In order to afford Barzal we might need to unload our 8 milllion dollar defenseman

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I agree that Lundkvist I still an unproven rookie but after reading this article and a similar article from Hockey Prospects Euro corespondent, I’m sure excited to see him play. He doesn’t sound like a player who will need a full season in Hartford.

Can you link us? If it's behind a paywall, could you quote some of the content? Or if it's written in a non-English language, could you translate/paraphrase some of what was said? Thanks....

William Nylander?

I like the player for sure but I don't like the fact that he's already at a 7 mil AAV and would only be under contract for 4 seasons before UFA... It may take the the organization a few years before they are ready to make deep/deeper playoff runs and therefore his contract may be approaching expiration right as the team is prepared to seriously compete for the cup...

If they can find/target a younger player on a lower AAV and one whom could be retained for longer (than Nylander's 4 years remaining before UFA and likely a large payday) - that would be a much more attractive option...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
All good names and of the caliber player I’d expect back in a trade. I feel like your have to add in a trade for Connor, Tkachuk, and Barzal.
I would gladly add to bring in Matt Tkachuk. Diversifies the forward group.

Werenski is 2 years away from UFA. You might be able to sign him with no assets spared.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would gladly add to bring in Matt Tkachuk. Diversifies the forward group.

Werenski is 2 years away from UFA. You might be able to sign him with no assets spared.

How often do players of Werenski's caliber hit free agency?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How often do players of Werenski's caliber hit free agency?
He is an RFA in 3 years. I was thinking of someone else.

Still would prefer Tkachuk. But I have Werenski on the target list as a young LD who may be changing places in 2-3 years depending on the state of the Blue Jackets at that time.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Can you link us? If it's behind a paywall, could you quote some of the content? Or if it's written in a non-English language, could you translate/paraphrase some of what was said? Thanks....

I can't find the link but I will paraphrase...Lundkvist is ready to be a top four defenseman in the NHL. That turned my head. I'll keep looking.

I like the player for sure but I don't like the fact that he's already at a 7 mil AAV and would only be under contract for 4 seasons before UFA... It may take the organization a few years before they are ready to make deep/deeper playoff runs and therefore his contract may be approaching expiration right as the team is prepared to seriously compete for the cup...

If they can find/target a younger player on a lower AAV and one whom could be retained for longer (than Nylander's 4 years remaining before UFA and likely a large payday) - that would be a much more attractive option...

Most of the names we are kicking around here is going to come with a big contract either already in place or coming soon. The reason I like Nylander is a) he has really became an effective down low scorer, not just a perimeter player and most importantly b) Toronto is a good trade match. Everyone loves Matt Tkachuk but Calgary is a lousy trade match. Hintz is primarily a left wing. Werenski's next contract will be mega bucks. It would be interesting to see where a possible DeAngelo trade could go but I agree with Steven, it would have to be a value for value trade, not a 1-3 deal.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Steven hit the nail on the head though...if we trade DeAngelo, it has to be a comparable talent coming back. No 1-3 trades.

William Nylander?
If DeAngelo HAS to be traded it would be for a similarly aged, top LD to pair with Trouba. If it is for a forward, I would not do it for Nylander. A 60 point defenseman is more than a 70 point forward. You start to talk to someone like Connor.
I can't find the link but I will paraphrase...Lundkvist is ready to be a top four defenseman in the NHL. That turned my head.
Need to see it to believe it

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And where would you play Connor?
I understand. That was more of a the type of player that I would deal him for.

This is why the other week, I was asking all of the pro-trade Deangelo crowd what they could come up with as a return profile. And most could not or would not.

The reality is that while I am sure that every single NHL team would love to be able to have him, there are not that many teams that would make for good trading partners. Trade him for a top LD to pair with Trouba? Columbus and Nashville come to mind. For a forward? Now you are really shrinking the field to come up with a RW that is similarly aged and trajectories. I think that Strome gets resigned, so dealing for a center is probably not the case.

And there is simply no way that Gorton trades him for nothing more than picks and prospects. I do not care how good they are.

Your realistic trade profile is LD or RW. That tends to shrink the field.

Reactions: bobbop

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Connor would be a top 6 LW on a best on best Canadian team after Marchand if they don't reposition players. He's probably my favorite non-Ranger at the moment. The guy is a flat out star.

I don't think a DeAngelo trade is a wise move until you have to re-sign Fox. The Rangers are perfectly fine on the right side, it's a strength. While I respect and fully understand the need to acquire players from a position of strength, I think that if you get a star level asset for DeAngelo you do it.

But I also think that you will not get a star level asset for him yet. You need him to be cost controlled, and replicate another half a season at his production level for that to happen.... but why would you do it if you cannot replace the offense from the back end? You would need Nils and Fox to both become 40-50 point players (which is in the realm of possibility). But the question is when?

The Rangers offensive prowess is built from their D, so I would think about all of the factors instead of it being just a positional swap.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I'd do DeAngelo for Barzal like yesterday if that was an actual option. Imagine panarin and Barzal on the same line. They would have posession the entire shift.
Yeah, Barzal wouldn’t come cheap. I’d put that at about 0% no matter the offer. I think he could get offer-sheet’d this summer and if not Isles won’t let him walk yet. He hasn’t carried the franchise for long enough to push him out the door.

Not if you are trading a 60 point 24 year old defenseman that can run the top PP unit.
I don’t know, that’s especially good and I think it’s mostly legit. But any team is going to respond with the following 4 names on the PP with him.

Kyle Connor would be a top 6 LW on a best on best Canadian team after Marchand if they don't reposition players. He's probably my favorite non-Ranger at the moment. The guy is a flat out star.

I don't think a DeAngelo trade is a wise move until you have to re-sign Fox. The Rangers are perfectly fine on the right side, it's a strength. While I respect and fully understand the need to acquire players from a position of strength, I think that if you get a star level asset for DeAngelo you do it.

But I also think that you will not get a star level asset for him yet. You need him to be cost controlled, and replicate another half a season at his production level for that to happen.... but why would you do it if you cannot replace the offense from the back end? You would need Nils and Fox to both become 40-50 point players (which is in the realm of possibility). But the question is when?

The Rangers offensive prowess is built from their D, so I would think about all of the factors instead of it being just a positional swap.
Guy is an absolute stud, this year did it for me. I’d shift him to the RW on the 1st line and start grooming Kakko for Arts line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad