Nils Hoglander high hit (5 and a game)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I hate that the NHL puts malicious intent so low on the list but the IIHF is just stupid about it.

Hoglander saw he was about to get nailed with a big hit and threw his shoulder out just as the other player bailed on the hit for some reason.

These things happen so fast.

With the more strict IIHF rules 2+10 would have been fine but this wasnt even the worst hit in the game and the fact they threw him out was bad enough.

No further suspension for the kid to let him play for a medal.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hogland clearly with bad hockey instincts there. When you see a hit coming, you brace for it, you DON'T raise your arms to hit the head of the checker. Always use your body.

It's similar in a way to how when Yakupov came to the NHL and was not willing to absorb hits, but ducked underneath in a dangerous way. He either tripped the checker or left himself vulnerable for a head check.

Getting hit used to be hockey 101 but maybe a lost art nowadays. You keep yourself safe, brace for contact, take the hit, congratulate the other guy for a big hit by remembering his number and play another shift. You can get him back, but always just be aware of stick and raised arms. Target body, torso, knock him down, and if you get targeted, don't try weird dodging moves or ducking or leading with any limbs, you'll kill yourself or someone else.

I haven't seen too many of these head-on type collisions, but for instance those Forsberg style defensive hits require you to keep your arms down. You elbow an incoming player, it should always be a major.

Hoglander instincts protected his head maybe the Russian needs to learn to protect his.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hoglander instincts protected his head maybe the Russian needs to learn to protect his.
The Russian didn't even look to be coming in high. Just looked like a regular body check coming up. Normal hit that you can take and play on.

Not sure "protecting your head" is sage advice if it implies it's okay that your head is being targeted in the first place.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Bracing for the hit? He could have easily side stepped the hit instead he raised his elbow and stepped/jumped in towards the guy. Absolutely the right call, but idk how they let Denisenko back on the ice right after. Wouldn't be surprised if he has "Concussion like symptoms" in the morning.

Reactions: Anichels

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
All the Hoglander haters coming out in full force in this thread. Knew they would defend this garbage call on a guy bracing for a hit. Have some decency it was a blown call that effected the outcome of the game :facepalm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Apparently not. The Russian player only received a 2+10 for a head shot later in the game, which was a much cleaner head shot. I guess because the Swedish player didn't sell it and dived.

They are too inconsistent. I thought that play also should’ve been 5 and a game because of the rules, but they tried to use discretion and showed inconsistency because of it.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Bracing for the hit? He could have easily side stepped the hit instead he raised his elbow and stepped/jumped in towards the guy. Absolutely the right call, but idk how they let Denisenko back on the ice right after. Wouldn't be surprised if he has "Concussion like symptoms" in the morning.
There is a video in slowmo posted on the previous page. Did you look at it? You still see an elbow there?

If I could label the play, I would use a term like unnesecary roughness (American Football). 5 and a game was over the top imo. There should have been a system for video review to get the call right.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
An unfortunate call by the refs. Considering Hoglanders impact for his team, it was almost like the refs were out to get Russia to the finals with any excuse

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Harsh call but technically it's the correct one. It was a heat shot and Hoglander is responsible for his actions. Having said that, it was 100% unintentional and I hope the kid doesn't get suspended for it.

Having said that, current Swedish NHL players are all so boring that it would be funny to finally get another sand paper guy. Landeskog could use some help there but even he became a bit more quiet since his (honorable) attempt to chop off Tkachuk's head. No suspensions, no substance abuse, no assaults, hardly any fights coming from Swedish players...if Hoglander could help in that regard I'd welcome that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
An unfortunate call by the refs. Considering Hoglanders impact for his team, it was almost like the refs were out to get Russia to the finals with any excuse

It's a harsh call and maybe an unfair one but from what I understand, the refs didn't have a choice since it was the only option according to the rulebook. Refs can't do what they want...they have to respect the rulebook.

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Stupid thing to be even involved with when you are the better puck position player on your team and probably never drawed a major penalty before in a career.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
All the Hoglander haters coming out in full force in this thread. Knew they would defend this garbage call on a guy bracing for a hit. Have some decency it was a blown call that effected the outcome of the game :facepalm:
Hoglander haters?

No one knew who he was before this tourney. Quite generous suggesting there’s people that think about him enough to hate him.

Reactions: hn777

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
I don't know if you have played hockey, but if you are bracing for a hit by throwing your arms up and stricking the opponent, you are doing it wrong. Reckless, stupid play and 5 mins absolutely deserved.
when he looked up he was bracing for shoulder to shoulder hit then the Russian player turned away at the last second total accident

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Right call. The camera angle from the back clearly shows Hoglander even turning towards Denisenko. He also explodes into the hit with both his legs and the arm. Without any doubt, this is not bracing for collision, Hoglander initiates this hit.

As many here, surprised there was no concussion protocol. This was a big hit, and straight on the head.

Reactions: Anichels

Nov 1, 2011
Hogland clearly with bad hockey instincts there. When you see a hit coming, you brace for it, you DON'T raise your arms to hit the head of the checker. Always use your body.

It's similar in a way to how when Yakupov came to the NHL and was not willing to absorb hits, but ducked underneath in a dangerous way. He either tripped the checker or left himself vulnerable for a head check.

Getting hit used to be hockey 101 but maybe a lost art nowadays. You keep yourself safe, brace for contact, take the hit, congratulate the other guy for a big hit by remembering his number and play another shift. You can get him back, but always just be aware of stick and raised arms. Target body, torso, knock him down, and if you get targeted, don't try weird dodging moves or ducking or leading with any limbs, you'll kill yourself or someone else.

I haven't seen too many of these head-on type collisions, but for instance those Forsberg style defensive hits require you to keep your arms down. You elbow an incoming player, it should always be a major.

See picture below. Clearly not an elbow as the elbow is tucked against the body on contact. Hoglander clearly is throwing for into his shoulder but you would expect him to do that to win the expected contact with the incoming player. I believe he does exactly what you describe.

How does this change you analysis?

Definitely chicken-winged him in the head. Would've been fine if it were through the chest. Not sure why he felt the need to elevate so much.

If you're short, Hoglander is listed as 5'9", it makes sense not to stay low while getting hit or you'd get smashed in the head all the time.

You have to plan for contact and keep yourself safe.

Someone posted this in the Canucks forum, thought I would share here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad