Nils Hoglander high hit (5 and a game)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Awful reffing. Höglander was just bracing for impact, the Russian player dove into him head first.

Reactions: Dbossman

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
It’s looked ok to me after seeing some replays I wish they would review this kind of thing when it comes to taking a player out of the game.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Awful reffing. Höglander was just bracing for impact, the Russian player dove into him head first.
I might agree of he didn't jump into it.

Does the "injury" to Denisenko play a part in the 5 and a game call? If so I don't like that since it's too easy for the player to stay down until he gets the call. Is have rather seen 2 and 10 for this but by IIHF standards this call seems consistent.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Looks like he elbows Dinesenko right in the face, with the head as the principle point of contact. You can see it pretty well at 26 seconds in the second tweet. Nothing really wrong with throwing a reverse hit, but that's a head-shot. Hoglander threw his elbow straight up, he started with the arm tucked but exploded out and upwards through Dinesenko's head.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't know if you have played hockey, but if you are bracing for a hit by throwing your arms up and stricking the opponent, you are doing it wrong. Reckless, stupid play and 5 mins absolutely deserved.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Crap call. Clearly just bracing for the hit. I hope Dale Hunter is telling his players that basically hitting is not allowed in this tournament.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Looks like he elbows Dinesenko right in the face, with the head as the principle point of contact. You can see it pretty well at 26 seconds in the second tweet. Nothing really wrong with throwing a reverse hit, but that's a head-shot. Hoglander threw his elbow straight up, he started with the arm tucked but exploded out and upwards through Dinesenko's head.

THIS.

You can't raise the elbow like that. It was a bad hit.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

I'd say in the last sequence in that tweet you can se it's the shoulder not the elbow. The elbow comes up after which it usually does after contact like that. Still hit to the head and an upwards motion, so no arguments from me for the call. Don't think there was any intention though, Denisenko came in hot and turned away last second, Höglander had his mind up already bracing for contact and the end result is unfortunate.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Russian skated right into the Swede's shoulder and deserves an Oscar for the embellishment. Of course there is no Russian cheating going on here with the refs or the PEDs, despite what you read about in the press over the last decades. They've gone honest, till they get caught next time.

Reactions: Cooperad

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Not paying much attention to this tournament, just happened to turn on to the intermission. Bob McKenzie had some really good points. If the guy took ahead shot that merits an ejection, should there not be a concussion protocol that is a little more thorough than an ice pack and the guy back on the ice to figure in on the power play goal?

Reactions: CanuckCity

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't know if you have played hockey, but if you are bracing for a hit by throwing your arms up and stricking the opponent, you are doing it wrong. Reckless, stupid play and 5 mins absolutely deserved.
So, if I understand correctly, you just have to take the hit? Hoglander's reaction was I believe instinctive, there was no intention on his part to hurt the opponent, he was not the aggressor on the play.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Not paying much attention to this tournament, just happened to turn on to the intermission. Bob McKenzie had some really good points. If the guy took ahead shot that merits an ejection, should there not be a concussion protocol that is a little more thorough than an ice pack and the guy back on the ice to figure in on the power play goal?
Absolutely! Absolutely aberrant situation!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd say in the last sequence in that tweet you can se it's the shoulder not the elbow. The elbow comes up after which it usually does after contact like that. Still hit to the head and an upwards motion, so no arguments from me for the call. Don't think there was any intention though, Denisenko came in hot and turned away last second, Höglander had his mind up already bracing for contact and the end result is unfortunate.

I don't really agree. It looks like Dinesenko's forehead hits into Hoglander's upper arm/shoulder, but it looks to me like Hoglander already has his elbow up and rising before the contact. That goes right through Dinesenko's chin.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Thats bananas.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->