Nils Hoglander high hit (5 and a game)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
So, if I understand correctly, you just have to take the hit? Hoglander's reaction was I believe instinctive, there was no intention on his part to hurt the opponent, he was not the aggressor on the play.
You don't have to take a hit, but you can't defend yourself by throwing your elbows up. You still have a responsibility to protect your opponents, even when they're hitting you.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You can say whatever you want, but at IIHF tournaments it's always 5+20. It wasn't the first time, and it wasn't the last time.

It's better this way, than NHL way, where you sometimes don't know, what penalty will you get for the same play.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I'd say in the last sequence in that tweet you can se it's the shoulder not the elbow. The elbow comes up after which it usually does after contact like that. Still hit to the head and an upwards motion, so no arguments from me for the call. Don't think there was any intention though, Denisenko came in hot and turned away last second, Höglander had his mind up already bracing for contact and the end result is unfortunate.

Elbow, shoulder, it doesn't matter. He smoked him in the head.

And either way, he raises his arms up considerably when he sees the hit in-coming.

Bad hit, right call. As mentioned above, raising your arms is not how one braces for a hit, on any level of hockey.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

And either way, he raises his arms up considerably when he sees the hit in-coming.

Bad hit, right call. As mentioned above, raising your arms is not how one braces for a hit, on any level of hockey.
Hes stands tall as he see the hit coming. Then contact is made with his shoulder. Then his arm/elbow follows through.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

So we pretty much agree besides the elbow? In my view it's the typical movement that happens AFTER the contact when trying to regain balance. It's clearly not an elbow at the moment of impact

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Because both your prior post indicated he was going for an elbow.

He was going for an elbow, but his shoulder beat him to it. The elbow still made it though! And it doesn't really matter, since both the shoulder and the elbow hit him in the head. Points of contact one and two are to the head, I don't really see what's defensible here.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Wasnt Höglander the puck-carrier here? Everyone seems to forget about that..

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You can fault both parties here really, Sweden for not keeping his arm down, and Russia for running for an open ice hit head first. The last replay in the second OP tweet looked like the elbow hit below the face, and then it was the follow through that made it look bad. Don't think this is a 5 and a game anywhere other than IIHF play.

Reactions: Grantham

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He was going for an elbow, but his shoulder beat him to it. The elbow still made it though! And it doesn't really matter, since both the shoulder and the elbow hit him in the head. Points of contact one and two are to the head, I don't really see what's defensible here.
Oh OK then.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
I think its Denisenko fault too, if you go for the hit, you go for the hit, now he seem to change his mind in the last seconds. Cant blame Höglanbder for following thru, thinking its going to be a collision

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I might agree of he didn't jump into it.

Does the "injury" to Denisenko play a part in the 5 and a game call? If so I don't like that since it's too easy for the player to stay down until he gets the call. Is have rather seen 2 and 10 for this but by IIHF standards this call seems consistent.

Until they don't. A Russian player just went around a guy to target his head and only got 2 and 10.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t see any way this is not a 5+game, i’d understand the he was gracing for a impact and connecting with head if Denisenko was directly lined with him and then he accidentally made head contact, but he sticks his arm out and clips Denisenko to head with his shoulder and his elbow also was going up, i don’t think he was planning on hurting him but that’s not how you take a hit

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don’t see any way this is not a 5+game, i’d understand the he was gracing for a impact and connecting with head if Denisenko was directly lined with him and then he accidentally made head contact, but he sticks his arm out and clips Denisenko to head with his shoulder and his elbow also was going up, i don’t think he was planning on hurting him but that’s not how you take a hit
I think you mean thats not how you make a hit. As in the Russian playing jot committed to his hit and pulling up at the last minute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad