Nils Hoglander high hit (5 and a game)

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Pretty soon, we will see an entire line of 5'2 players skating around until they draw a 5 minute major.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Not complaining about the call. However there needs to be some kind of mandatory concussion protocol to the victims of these hits. Slapping an ice pack on the neck while on the bench is not sufficient nor safe.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Garbage call..

IIHF needs to reevaluate these penalties. You can’t take a player like Hoglander out of this game for that type of hit.

Reactions: Grantham

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That’s a pretty iffy call overall, Changing the entire complexion of a hockey game.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Garbage call..

IIHF needs to reevaluate these penalties. You can’t take a player like Hoglander out of this game for that type of hit.
I do think it was not worthy of a 5 min + game, but who the player is and the type of game should never have any bearing on the consequence.

Reactions: Fergy22

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

I kinda agree with this. I'm fine with IIHF being harsh on this kind of situations but it's only half of the problem - need a better concussion protocol here or you're still unneccessarily risking players' health.

Reactions: theslatcher

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats definitely five and a game with IIHF rules.

My problem is the lack of consistency. What Tanus did to Drury wasn't that much different. Tanus backed into Drury as opposed to Hoglander lunging to the side.

How is this 5 and a game but Tanus hit is nothing? If you are going to call everything and give out harsh penalties for it, you have to call everything and you can't miss calls. There's almost no discretion in the way you are calling it. That leads to a lack of consistency when you want to use discretion.

Reactions: Love

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not complaining about the call. However there needs to be some kind of mandatory concussion protocol to the victims of these hits. Slapping an ice pack on the neck while on the bench is not sufficient nor safe.
Probably because everybody on the bench knew the Russian player sold it. So they went the fake move to "nurture" his "injury".
Thats definitely five and a game with IIHF rules.
Apparently not. The Russian player only received a 2+10 for a head shot later in the game, which was a much cleaner head shot. I guess because the Swedish player didn't sell it and dived.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hogland clearly with bad hockey instincts there. When you see a hit coming, you brace for it, you DON'T raise your arms to hit the head of the checker. Always use your body.

It's similar in a way to how when Yakupov came to the NHL and was not willing to absorb hits, but ducked underneath in a dangerous way. He either tripped the checker or left himself vulnerable for a head check.

Getting hit used to be hockey 101 but maybe a lost art nowadays. You keep yourself safe, brace for contact, take the hit, congratulate the other guy for a big hit by remembering his number and play another shift. You can get him back, but always just be aware of stick and raised arms. Target body, torso, knock him down, and if you get targeted, don't try weird dodging moves or ducking or leading with any limbs, you'll kill yourself or someone else.

I haven't seen too many of these head-on type collisions, but for instance those Forsberg style defensive hits require you to keep your arms down. You elbow an incoming player, it should always be a major.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a penalty and within the scope of iihf reffing to call it as they did. but to me it was a short player used to protecting himself against taller players by deflecting checks. maybe hoglander put some extra sauce on the arm movement, but the contact looked glancing and it looks to me like denisenko watches a lot of soccer.

as a sidenote, denisenko is supposedly 2" taller than hoglander. does not look it there.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Definitely chicken-winged him in the head. Would've been fine if it were through the chest. Not sure why he felt the need to elevate so much.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
By iihf standards this was the perfect example of the hit to the head rule. And deserved the game. And potentially a few other games also.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that is a good idea in theory but it penalizes the victim. you could run a guy with a goon to get him off the ice.

it would definitely reduce the amount of selling that goes on.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
a penalty and within the scope of iihf reffing to call it as they did. but to me it was a short player used to protecting himself against taller players by deflecting checks. maybe hoglander put some extra sauce on the arm movement, but the contact looked glancing and it looks to me like denisenko watches a lot of soccer.

as a sidenote, denisenko is supposedly 2" taller than hoglander. does not look it there.

Yes, but then you would be asking for a Russian to tell the truth about something benefiting them at sport.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

Someone posted this in the Canucks forum, thought I would share here.

I just want to say that the IIHF needs to review its concussion protocol, if you hand out a 5 and a game for a check to the head, then the guy who got hit should be taken to the quiet room and not just sat on the bench with an ice pack..

Reactions: Grantham

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Tanus elbow was worse IMO.

You are right, but it was a missed call. Two wrongs doesn’t make a right....

Thought it was a good call, Russian player should have been out of the game for a few minutes as well though being checked up in the quiet room.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
You are right, but it was a missed call. Two wrongs doesn’t make a right....

Thought it was a good call, Russian player should have been out of the game for a few minutes as well though being checked up in the quiet room.
Both should have been called, just contrasting them.

Reactions: 13to40

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Right. He did nothing wrong. The Russian player is just dumb. Not sure what his plan was.. Torpedo defence?
Well the other angle (basically 180) from the gif above shows the Russian player going for the hit then about 5 feet away and right after Hoglander releases the puck, deciding to not go for the hit

Really it seems a case of Hoglander bracing for a hit he expects is coming the Russian player deciding to bail out on the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad