Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Weren't the reports it was Korczak that they had ranked higher initially?

Obviously much better they chose Hoglander. I was very high on him pre-draft and thought he should've been an easy 1st rounder anyway.

I must have missed that. The Canucks definitely had a good handle on Hoglander both from moving him up the draft list and thinking he was ready for the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still mind boggling that this kid just turned 20 in December. How much better will he be by the time he's been in the league 3-4 years?

I don't think the comparisons to Marchand are as outlandish as they first appeared to be.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Weren't the reports it was Korczak that they had ranked higher initially?

Obviously much better they chose Hoglander. I was very high on him pre-draft and thought he should've been an easy 1st rounder anyway.
It was never explicitly stated, even in the rumors, but the rumors all combined point towards Korczak as Brackett's preferred pick.

I wouldn't call it obvious yet. Korczak was always going to need time to come along and he's a 6'4 RD whose game is tailor made to line up beside someone like Hughes. Hog was a good pick but there's good odds we're drooling over Korczak in a few years as well.

Personally I still find Hog to have some unanswered questions about his upside but he's fun to watch and I love his motor.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was never explicitly stated, even in the rumors, but the rumors all combined point towards Korczak as Brackett's preferred pick.

I wouldn't call it obvious yet. Korczak was always going to need time to come along and he's a 6'4 RD whose game is tailor made to line up beside someone like Hughes. Hog was a good pick but there's good odds we're drooling over Korczak in a few years as well.

Personally I still find Hog to have some unanswered questions about his upside but he's fun to watch and I love his motor.

You know that's kind of one of the things I've been mentioned a lot. The Canucks haven't spent too many high picks on Dmen over the years and it shows. Before Hughes, the last NHL Dman we drafted and developed was Hutton. Before that it was Connauton and Edler. The theory that you can find top 4 Dmen later in the draft simply hasn't materialized for the Canucks. It's no coincidence that in our system the D prospect that is closest to the NHL besides the guys who are on the roster/taxi squad is Jett Woo.

With that said, Korczak reminds me of a smaller but higher skilled version of Brandon Carlo. He basically projected (at the time at least) similarly to Jett Woo. That's not a bad thing but it's similar to Hoglander falling out of the first round because there were questions about his offensive upside. Time will tell but from Hoglander has been a pleasant surprise so far.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
5on5 points

Hoglander 13
Miller 12
Nylander 12
Wheeler 11
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 10

Does anyone know a website where I can check 5on5 totals? I did some quick math off my head but all I'm finding are site with ES which include 6on5/3on3 etc.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Thanks

:eek:

Screen_Shot_2021-03-19_at_8.41.41_PM.png

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
For the life of me, I don’t understand how Vesey gets immediately on the 1st pp unit, and Hoglander doesn’t get a look. Hoglander is far more familiar with the teams system, and is far more skilled.
Vesey is 7 years older, worse, costs more, has no further room to grow, and has proven he's a bottom six/middle six guy at best; therefore he plays above Hog in Travis Green's reverse meritocracy.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Hoglander has 4 points in his last 5 games, getting him back in the Calder race. He is 3rd in 5v5 play.

RKPLAYERTEAMGPGAPTS+/-PIMPTS/GSOGPCTGWGGAGA
1Kirill Kaprizov, LWMIN29101525680.867413.522000
2Tim Stutzle, LWOTT3061218-13100.60679.002400
3Josh Norris, COTT3371017-660.525812.102400
4Jason Robertson, LWDAL2241216580.733910.300100
5Nils Hoglander, LWVAN356915-1100.43718.511000
6Oliver Wahlstrom, RWNYI2577146130.565213.512500
7Philipp Kurashev, LWCHI317512-980.394216.712200
Gabriel Vilardi, CLA296612-520.413119.422100
Janne Kuokkanen, CNJ2357126100.522718.501100
10Brandon Hagel, LWCHI293710-490.34456.700001
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I feel in this last stretch that Hoglander has done a good job getting into the thick of plays and freeing up pucks. Not all goals and assists are nicely set up plays - a lot of it comes from getting into and winning puck battles. Yet another element of his game that has me really excited for his future.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I feel in this last stretch that Hoglander has done a good job getting into the thick of plays and freeing up pucks. Not all goals and assists are nicely set up plays - a lot of it comes from getting into and winning puck battles. Yet another element of his game that has me really excited for his future.

Yes his ability to be destructive to the opposing teams game does not always show statwise. It is nevertheless an important part of his game and also important for the team.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's see, Hoglander is a fixture in the top six. He hasn't been scratched once or seen his ice time reduced 35 games into the season. He's force in the offensive zone and wins puck battles in the defensive zone. And the best part, he's barely 20 years old.

Looking back through Canuck history, other than Pettersson, Hughes and maybe Bure, it's to think of another player who's made a greater impact at that young age.

Special things are ahead for this player.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
At least Hoglander got a goal last night to keep him competitive in the Calder race. Hoglander is actually a few draft years younger than a lot of these other rookies, so really one of the best prospects out of the rookies, except Stutzle.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I find it interesting Green often mentions how the coaches are working on Hoglander being better defensively. Yet Hogs plays top six minutes matching up against other teams’ best players (on the wing with Bo, so those are hard minutes for sure) and the kid is pretty much an even player. And still he puts up offence.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I find it interesting Green often mentions how the coaches are working on Hoglander being better defensively. Yet Hogs plays top six minutes matching up against other teams’ best players (on the wing with Bo, so those are hard minutes for sure) and the kid is pretty much an even player. And still he puts up offence.
This is mostly about Green's refusal to give props to young players, out of some sort misguided notion that they might regress.

Then there's the case of Roussel, who might have had his worst game of the season last night. And that's saying something considering how bad he's been lately.

And Green was asked directly in the post-game Zoom conference about his giveaways. But he wasn't biting. That's just the way it is on this Canucks team -- the 'double-standard' for rookies and veterans.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This is mostly about Green's refusal to give props to young players, out of some sort misguided notion that they might regress.

Then there's the case of Roussel, who might have had his worst game of the season last night. And that's saying something considering how bad he's been lately.

And Green was asked directly in the post-game Zoom conference about his giveaways. But he wasn't biting. That's just the way it is on this Canucks team -- the 'double-standard' for rookies and veterans.
And the watch the Sens play and their young guys were given freedom to learn, how, and develop and watch them now. They are literally flying around the ice. Our youth are beaten into submission, and have offensive freedom knocked out of them. Their confidence to make plays is crushed. While we are force fed the old slow guys, who play with no passion. Like Torts said almost a de age ago, “It’s a young man’s game”. Let’s get some of our top prospects up here, and play them. Like to see lots of OJ, Hogs, Pods (when he can come) Lind, Lockwood, and Bone.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And the watch the Sens play and their young guys were given freedom to learn, how, and develop and watch them now. They are literally flying around the ice. Our youth are beaten into submission, and have offensive freedom knocked out of them. Their confidence to make plays is crushed. While we are force fed the old slow guys, who play with no passion. Like Torts said almost a de age ago, “It’s a young man’s game”. Let’s get some of our top prospects up here, and play them. Like to see lots of OJ, Hogs, Pods (when he can come) Lind, Lockwood, and Bone.
I think this a sentiment is one that almost everyone who follows this team is in agreement with. But it'll require a coaching change in the off-season and a new philosophy from management.

Unfortunately they keep signing expensive UFA's who usually regress, and then only block the progress of younger players.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
For the life of me, I don’t understand how Vesey gets immediately on the 1st pp unit, and Hoglander doesn’t get a look. Hoglander is far more familiar with the teams system, and is far more skilled.

When asked about why Green put Vesey on the top unit when Pearson went down I believe he said that it was so the second unit could remain together. I can see that from the coaches perspective as the fifth player on the PP is not going to touch the puck too often other then to retrieve it and be a net front presence. The problem for me is that the second unit gets such scant opportunities. The first unit stays out for well over a minute and the second unit barely ever gets time to set up let alone get in the groove.

Reactions: Get North

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
When asked about why Green put Vesey on the top unit when Pearson went down I believe he said that it was so the second unit could remain together. I can see that from the coaches perspective as the fifth player on the PP is not going to touch the puck too often other then to retrieve it and be a net front presence. The problem for me is that the second unit gets such scant opportunities. The first unit stays out for well over a minute and the second unit barely ever gets time to set up let alone get in the groove.

I thought a related thing. That the main reason Hoglander remains on the second PP unit is that it would be utterly devoid of offensive creativity if he were bumped up to the first unit.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Outside of Hughes who had a hot start and is now cooling off has any of the other 2019 drafted players been better than Hoglander?

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Any estimations of how many PP points this kid would have if he was on the 1st PP unit the entire season? My guess is 10-12~. That would put him at a 50-60 point pace/82 while playing solid two way hockey in his rookie season.

Can't complain about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad