Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I was listening to the radio broadcast when Goldobin scored his 1st as a Canuck...John Abbot sounded like he busted a nut.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Gus Adams was a first line player? I don't think so. Definitely a strong 2 way forward but not a first liner.

i love greg adams, but i would hardly call him a strong two-way forward. he was much better on his side of the puck than baertschi, of course, but that just makes him fairly average.

also, adams never ever ever saw the third line in vancouver. he was on the first or 1a line his first few years, usually on a line with tanti. later, as we all know, he played with bure almost the entire time they were both canucks so from '93 on he was at the very worst on the 1a line.

stylistically, impact-wise, numbers, i'm not really sure why we are talking about gus adams relative to baertschi. adams was slow as molasses, had great hands in tight, went to the tough areas and took a beating, and was great on the powerplay. none of those things apply to baertschi. he was also the second clutchest player in canucks history, which i guess we won't know if baertschi can approach if/until he plays in some meaningful games.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Baertschi is productive but he’s more of stopgap than anything, he’d probably be a 3rd liner on a contender if we’re being realistic. Most of his production came from getting top ES and PP minutes, and even then over a full season he still wasn’t on pace to crack the 50 point barrier. Goldobin started to shoe some real progress towards the end of the year, less floating, and more of the ability to drive the play. Baertschi probably gets a slight raise on his current deal this summer, if Goldobin continues to progress then I wouldn’t mind cutting ties with Baertschi via trade if tou can get a decent defensive prospect or a pick.

I think it's fair to say if Baertschi was healthy he would of had 20 goals this season and last season. I don't have the numbers infront of me however a average a team probably has no more than three or four 20 goal scorers. If they don't have a handful of future 20 goal scorer. Baertschi is not a stop gap player. Not all prospects will make impact it nhl. both LW prospects Goldobin and Dahlen are not a sure thing.

15 mins and 2nd pp unit I won't considered that top minutes.

Since Dahlen would be on entry level contract for 3yrs. You can keep all 4 of them. Something like this.

Goldobin Horvat Boeser
Dahlen Pettersson Lind
Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Trade Beartschi at the draft and give Goldobin his spot/minutes. He's earned it more than Leipsic has and he walked onto the top line of the team.

Baertschi earned it more. Unless Goldobin and Leispic prove that they are better than Baertschi. You should keep Baertschi. Lot of top teams are trying balance 3 scoring lines more. If Canucks have no cap issues. They can keep all 3.

Reactions: sting101

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Baertschi earned it more. Unless Goldobin and Leispic prove that they are better than Baertschi. You should keep Baertschi. Lot of top teams are trying balance 3 scoring lines more. If Canucks have no cap issues. They can keep all 3.
It’s not about cap, it’s about roster spots. Goldobin flourishes in a top 6 role, and he’s earned one, but he can’t get one without a bit of space cleared. Same can be said for Leipsic. I’d be fine with a pick or prospect for Baertschi considering we know what we have and he won’t be with us for a cup run or anything.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i love greg adams, but i would hardly call him a strong two-way forward. he was much better on his side of the puck than baertschi, of course, but that just makes him fairly average.

also, adams never ever ever saw the third line in vancouver. he was on the first or 1a line his first few years, usually on a line with tanti. later, as we all know, he played with bure almost the entire time they were both canucks so from '93 on he was at the very worst on the 1a line.

stylistically, impact-wise, numbers, i'm not really sure why we are talking about gus adams relative to baertschi. adams was slow as molasses, had great hands in tight, went to the tough areas and took a beating, and was great on the powerplay. none of those things apply to baertschi. he was also the second clutchest player in canucks history, which i guess we won't know if baertschi can approach if/until he plays in some meaningful games.
Uhhh No.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It’s not about cap, it’s about roster spots. Goldobin flourishes in a top 6 role, and he’s earned one, but he can’t get one without a bit of space cleared. Same can be said for Leipsic. I’d be fine with a pick or prospect for Baertschi considering we know what we have and he won’t be with us for a cup run or anything.

There's room for all three on the roster for next season. Baertschi isn't a finished product either and with a small jump in production, he could be a 50-point player next season. Baertschi a lot closer to being a top-6 player than either Leipsic and Goldobin.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Trading Baertschi would be incredibly stupid. The teams that are contending today have 9-10 players capable of scoring at a PPG of .50 or better. Now that the Sedins have retired and Vanek is gone we are left with Horvat Boeser and Baertschi that did it last year and are of the ages that can still be effective when the ship is righted.

If there is one thing we have learned from expecting young players to continue linear trajectory to a reliable top6 top4 is it rarely happens. Goldobin and Leipsic or Dahlen or whoever need to prove something first before you take a 25 yr old with a solid 2 way game out of our lineup.

And it would be nice if people stop overvaluing draft picks. There is only about 15-20 players a year that turn out better than what Baertschi is now. Greatly reducing the odds of getting said player by taking back a 2nd rounder would be an unfavorable move.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

my recall of adams is a guy who never was treated as a star or first liner, played his own game and made his own chances, and could be thrown out with anyone and be effective and typically was. that is my baertschi comparison.

i could well be wrong but i don't recall adams ever having a consistent linemate due to chemistry. what i remember is linden-ronning-courtnall was a thing even when adams was outscoring courtnall.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
There's room for all three on the roster for next season. Baertschi isn't a finished product either and with a small jump in production, he could be a 50-point player next season. Baertschi a lot closer to being a top-6 player than either Leipsic and Goldobin.
As long as Goldobin gets a top 6 spot, I don’t care what happens to Baerstchi. Obviously trading him wouldn’t be ideal, but I wouldn’t hate it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Our LW depth is really thin. As deep as our forward prospect pool is, Dahlen is the only LW of the bunch. On the Canucks roster, it's Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Eriksson and Gaunce.
Just switch a player to his offwing. Not nearly as bad as getting a D to switch over to the other side. I don't see a problem here.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
As long as Goldobin gets a top 6 spot, I don’t care what happens to Baerstchi. Obviously trading him wouldn’t be ideal, but I wouldn’t hate it.

Goldobin has to earn that spot. Some good games towards the end of the season where neither team had anything to play for isn't going to cut it for me. Let's see what happens during training camp where he's in competition for top-6 spots.

Goldobin needs to up his compete level to succeed at the NHL level, and I'm not confident that Goldobin has that gear in him.

Reactions: Zippgunn

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my recall of adams is a guy who never was treated as a star or first liner, played his own game and made his own chances, and could be thrown out with anyone and be effective and typically was. that is my baertschi comparison.

i could well be wrong but i don't recall adams ever having a consistent linemate due to chemistry. what i remember is linden-ronning-courtnall was a thing even when adams was outscoring courtnall.

adams and bure together were a very regular thing. in bure's rookie season, bure moved around and was tried with everyone until settling in with adams and larionov. that necessitated splitting up the short lived but very productive courtnall - larionov - linden line, when it looked early on like all three were going to have career years. obviously it paid off, as bure scored a goal a game over the last 25-odd games of the season.

quinn was known as a tinkerer, but adams and bure were pretty constant. i think the guy who really was the utility guy you'd put on any line, 1-3, was courtnall, actually. he is best known for the life line, of course, but you could have him on the third line with nedved and sandlak or ward, you could have him on the '94 playoffs super line with bure and linden at center when you needed a big goal, and when adams was injured which happened with almost salo-like regularity, courtnall often took his place on bure's line.

back to adams, quinn for whatever reason just really liked adams and bure together. they went through quite a revolving door of centers, from larionov to ward to semenov to oksiuta to craven.

but you're right, adams was not a play driver, and certainly not a star. just a guy that on a good team is a really capable 4th or 5th best forward.

you didn't think adams was slow? i mean, opportunistic, good anticipation, quick to pounce on a loose puck, definitely. but skating? relative to bure, courtnall, ronning, and young linden?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
just to be clear, i do think adams was a bit of a play driver, in an individual effort sort of way. i think baertschi is the same. that is a big part of my comparison.

i don't recall adams playing a lot with bure but you might be right.

also i had forgotten roman oksiuta completely. excellent.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Goldobin has to earn that spot. Some good games towards the end of the season where neither team had anything to play for isn't going to cut it for me. Let's see what happens during training camp where he's in competition for top-6 spots.

Goldobin needs to up his compete level to succeed at the NHL level, and I'm not confident that Goldobin has that gear in him.
I disagree, he went down to the AHL and worked on his two way game all year. I’ve seen good improvements in his game.

Reactions: pomorick

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
goldobin has undoubtedly improved his two way game dramatically and to a far greater degree than i would have imagined after watching him last year. as such, he's still a developing prospect with upside.

Reactions: pomorick

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
just to be clear, i do think adams was a bit of a play driver, in an individual effort sort of way. i think baertschi is the same. that is a big part of my comparison.

i don't recall adams playing a lot with bure but you might be right.

also i had forgotten roman oksiuta completely. excellent.

They were regular linemates in 1992 and 1993. 1994 half of the season Bure played with Odjick. 94 playoffs and 95 Regular season before Adams got traded they were linemates as well. Courtnall mainly played with Ronning and Linden.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to admit I was as pessimistic as anyone that Goldy would ever figure it out and would eventually be headed on a flight back to KHL....but in the last 15 or so NHL games and so far in the Calder Cup playoffs, he's making a believer out of me....his work on the defensive side of the puck is night and day from where it was, and he's even killing penalties in Utica....hands up anyone who saw that coming.

Goldy came out of that '014 draft along with Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling....and all of them have played in the league...pretty impressive really.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Usual off-season talk

Red flag is the Canucks off-season workout program

Goldy gonna be on that dreamer bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad