Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
We need to keep around all the LW options that we have. Dahlen is the only decent LW prospect currently in our system. We should give both Goldobin and Baertschi (Leipsic as well) every opportunity next season to win a top-6 LW spot.

As for trading one of them, the priority isn't looking 4-5 years down the road. We need to develop top-6 forwards now and keeping all three increases those odds of it happening, even if it means giving them up for nothing later on.

Reactions: sting101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think It's another year only before Baertschi becomes ufa. Its 27 years old or 7 pro seasons. Next season will be his 7th Pro season.

I don't think you are correct. I think next season would be his 6th accrued season.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
nhlnumbers has him as a RFA after next season (though I can't vouch for the accuracy of that website - I still miss the old cap website ran by that person who passed away).

12/13 season Baertschi played 20 nhl game and 32 Ahl game. 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19. That 7 professional seasons which will make him a ufa in 2019. Unless his 12/13 is exempt because of his age or game played. No idea.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
12/13 season Baertschi played 20 nhl game and 32 Ahl game. 13/14, 14/15, 15/16, 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19. That 7 professional seasons which will make him a ufa in 2019. Unless his 12/13 is exempt because of his age or game played. No idea.

An accrued season is one where you are on the nhl roster for 40 games. Hard to tell if he made it some if those years. There's a chance he has to wait until he's 27.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I would be down to trade Baertschi. What could we get for him?

Baertschi is still our best LW on the roster. I don't know why we would entertain trading him. We need as many chances to develop a top-6 forward as we can and he's not blocking anyone right now. We could fit all of Leipsic, Goldobin and Baertschi onto the roster and let them duke it out for two top-6 LW spots.

2016: 0.41 ppg
2017: 0.52 ppg
2018: 0.55 ppg

Baertschi's been able to increase his PPG the last 3 seasons, despite having inconsistent playing time in 2018 where he was being moved up and down the lineup. Out of the 3, I see Baertschi most likely to be a 50-point player. He really doesn't have that big of a jump left to make in order to get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks1096

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I would be down to trade Baertschi. What could we get for him?

Probably a 2nd. On second thought, I don't know if that would be worth it. As long as Leipsic isn't gifted minutes ahead of him and Goldobin get's the chances he deserves, I'd be fine with keeping him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't mind Baertschi as a stopgap scoring winger and I don't think he's necessarily blocking anyone in the short term, but I don't see him as a top 6 forward on a high-end team. If you can get a decent defensive prospect or pick for him I'd look to do that and if he doesn't have the value I don't mind keeping him around. Definitely need a contract that's team-friendly though.

I thought this year was Goldobin's chance to prove himself and he failed for the most part. Some promising games at the end of the season with the pressure off, but overall I don't know if he'll be consistent and responsible enough to earn minutes in a scoring role which he desperately needs. My guess is that he gets passed by a few of the younger wingers pretty quick here unless he really ups his game.

Reactions: travis scott

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I don't mind Baertschi as a stopgap scoring winger and I don't think he's necessarily blocking anyone in the short term, but I don't see him as a top 6 forward on a high-end team. If you can get a decent defensive prospect or pick for him I'd look to do that and if he doesn't have the value I don't mind keeping him around. Definitely need a contract that's team-friendly though.

The barrier to be a top-6 forward, even on a good team, isn't as high as you think. Take a look at some of the highest scoring teams in the league this season. Their 6th best offensive forwards were in the 45-50 point range. Baertschi was on pace to have a 45-point season over an 82-game season.

Give him some better talent to play with, and he could be a 50-point player, at the very least. I wouldn't give up on Baertschi so easily.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How much better talent does he need to play with? He got prime ice-time with our best centre and a star scoring winger in Boeser. When he gets dropped in the lineup I haven't though he's done enough to give me a ton of confidence in him going forward.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i like baertschi. when he was healthy this year he was driving play, especially on the 2nd pp. i don't know why people view him as disposable.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
How much better talent does he need to play with? He got prime ice-time with our best centre and a star scoring winger in Boeser. When he gets dropped in the lineup I haven't though he's done enough to give me a ton of confidence in him going forward.

Given all of their injuries at different points of the season, it's hard to say how much Baertschi actually got to play with Boeser and Horvat together on the same line, but it probably wasn't much.

Being dropped in the lineup isn't neccessarily an indication that he's not playing well. Otherwise, Gudbranson would be considered a top-pairing defenseman judging by how many minutes he's being given.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
i like baertschi. when he was healthy this year he was driving play, especially on the 2nd pp. i don't know why people view him as disposable.

I don't view him as disposable, but I do view him as replaceable from within. I'd be fine with moving him for a second, or as part of a package to get a nice piece for the blueline.

But I wouldn't just dump him for scraps. I don't see him as a pure top 6 player, but I do feel his game has rounded out enough that I view him as a solid middle 6 player. Can contribute on a second PP unit, now has a pretty consistent work ethic, and a underrated 200 ft game. So if on his own or as part of a package we got good value for him, I don't see him as a future core piece. But having his skill pushed down the lineup, as long as his contract is reasonable, is also a good thing.

Only thing for me, I don't want to see him pencilled in beside Bo-Boeser. I do think Bae's limitations get exposed vs the other team's best defensive players.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I don't view him as disposable, but I do view him as replaceable from within.

Our LW depth is really thin. As deep as our forward prospect pool is, Dahlen is the only LW of the bunch. On the Canucks roster, it's Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Eriksson and Gaunce.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't view him as disposable, but I do view him as replaceable from within. I'd be fine with moving him for a second, or as part of a package to get a nice piece for the blueline.

But I wouldn't just dump him for scraps. I don't see him as a pure top 6 player, but I do feel his game has rounded out enough that I view him as a solid middle 6 player. Can contribute on a second PP unit, now has a pretty consistent work ethic, and a underrated 200 ft game. So if on his own or as part of a package we got good value for him, I don't see him as a future core piece. But having his skill pushed down the lineup, as long as his contract is reasonable, is also a good thing.

Only thing for me, I don't want to see him pencilled in beside Bo-Boeser. I do think Bae's limitations get exposed vs the other team's best defensive players.

i see baertschi's ability to push play himself as very valuable.

a lot of good wingers worth hanging on to are never quite perfect first line guys but reliably deliver offence, can be clutch and can drive play a little on their own. greg adams is a good example of a guy who was a career 2/3 guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baertschi is still our best LW on the roster. I don't know why we would entertain trading him. We need as many chances to develop a top-6 forward as we can and he's not blocking anyone right now. We could fit all of Leipsic, Goldobin and Baertschi onto the roster and let them duke it out for two top-6 LW spots.

2016: 0.41 ppg
2017: 0.52 ppg
2018: 0.55 ppg

Baertschi's been able to increase his PPG the last 3 seasons, despite having inconsistent playing time in 2018 where he was being moved up and down the lineup. Out of the 3, I see Baertschi most likely to be a 50-point player. He really doesn't have that big of a jump left to make in order to get there.

Only because his PP time went up. His ES scoring was lower than 2011-2014 with Calgary.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i see baertschi's ability to push play himself as very valuable.

a lot of good wingers worth hanging on to are never quite perfect first line guys but reliably deliver offence, can be clutch and can drive play a little on their own. greg adams is a good example of a guy who was a career 2/3 guy.

Are you talking about Greg C. Adams? Because the good Greg Adams was a 1st/2nd line player for a decade and so far ahead of Baertschi as a two-way player it isn't funny.

Reactions: pomorick

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Given all of their injuries at different points of the season, it's hard to say how much Baertschi actually got to play with Boeser and Horvat together on the same line, but it probably wasn't much.
Baertschi spent 70.7% of his even strength TOI with both Horvat and Boeser. The time he missed largely overlapped with the time Horvat missed so it didn't have a huge effect.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If you look 4 years after Baertschi was drafted, he was helping the Utica Comets on their playoff run and spend most the season in the AHL while Goldobin has been up with the Canucks longer and spend most of the season in the NHL. It's pretty hard to say if Goldobin is going to overtake Baertschi, I don't think he's better than him right now, Baertschi is much more consistent, is less softer, and plays a better defensive game. He's the more complete player for sure, but when you look back at Baertschi at Goldobin's age, Baertschi had a lot more to add to his game. He was just traded for and had some big question marks.

I'd say keep both for now, let them battle it out for 1 more year, they aren't blocking any prospects and I think we underrate these players. Every team wants young players and we have them, let's keep them for now. I also don't want trade them for a draft pick to wait another 5+ years for another Goldobin/Baertschi.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Baertschi is productive but he’s more of stopgap than anything, he’d probably be a 3rd liner on a contender if we’re being realistic. Most of his production came from getting top ES and PP minutes, and even then over a full season he still wasn’t on pace to crack the 50 point barrier. Goldobin started to shoe some real progress towards the end of the year, less floating, and more of the ability to drive the play. Baertschi probably gets a slight raise on his current deal this summer, if Goldobin continues to progress then I wouldn’t mind cutting ties with Baertschi via trade if tou can get a decent defensive prospect or a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad