Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
On one hand, agreed.

But on the other hand, he’s been skilled enough to not drag down Pettersson or that line ... and we don’t really have many guys you can say that about. Look at what Horvat is playing with.

What we should be doing is continuing to try developing this player for the rest of the season.

But we’ve decided we’re in a playoff hunt!

So we’re gonna dump a guy who can actually produce a bit and then slot some no-talent grinder into his spot or promote Granlund ... and what exactly is the point of that?

All fair. I think it's reasonable to say, let's give this guy a lot of rope and hope he pieces it together, at least until there are better options, but also fair to say hey, the dude has had some pretty prime ice time this year and his production is very disappointing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I have to say Im quiet conflicted on Goldobin, everyones making good points on two extremes here. His first full season , has talent, nice playmaker, 45 pts pace... but most pts are secondary assists, bad and lazy learner, not physical...

We badly need offense on the wings tho... think id prefer to keep him but def would be listening to all phone calls from other GMs about him

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I agree.

Pouliot has no value though and I think the chance that Tryamkin may come back one day is worth more than whatever we sell his rights for. If and when we are close to contending for a playoff spot, I believe that will be attractive to him.
Yeah, that's why I added the "as possible" qualifier.

member 290103

What about Edmonton? They need scoring wingers with speed, no? Goldy for Edmontons 2nd? Pipe dream I guess.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What about Edmonton? They need scoring wingers with speed, no? Goldy for Edmontons 2nd? Pipe dream I guess.
Some oilers fan on the main trade board suggested Bennings nephew and a 3rd for Goldobin (basically a 2nd)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm not at all inherently against trading him but this isn't a situation where we should be eager to dump him immediately and I'm probably going to be disappointed with the final outcome.

I feel like the sixth they just got will get packaged with Goldy and another pick for some rental player. For teh playoff run

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good move to try to trade him while his value is as high as it'll be. IMO, he just doesn't mesh well with EP and Boeser. They need a forechecker on that line. Surprised he hasn't gotten more time with Horvat. I think I remember Baertschi, Horvat and Goldobin making a solid run last year.

The downside.. trading Goldobin may make it less likely Tryamkin will want to come over. Goldobins basically his only friend left on the team, and if I remember correctly Goldobin and him still chat. May be a moot point though, if Tryamkin is actually interested in being in the NHL then there may not be a better core to join than this one.
Playing with EP was the only place he was actually doing anything..put him on any other line, and he would be fairly non existent.

Worrying about Tryamkin coming back is wasted energy...Lost his captaincy on his KHL team, and has been a healthy scratch (even when they were on a winning streak)...Not to derail the thread in any way..but something is definitely up with him.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He's not consistent enough to be top 6 material and he's definitely not bottom 6 material. I assume this would make room for Gaudette and perhaps eventually Dahlen. Plus McEwan might be ready for a call up now.

There's only so many spots for small skill wingers. There are a lot of teams who really lack depth (like EDM) and perhaps we can shore up another area of need.

The only advantage he has over Baertschi is that he's healthy but isn't nearly as good defensively.

I liked the trade at the time and really wanted him to succeed. One thing I have noticed is that when a good drafting/developing team gives up on a prospect it's usually for a good reason.

Reactions: Nomobo

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
To me, it all depends on the return.

If they are not happy with his overall play and are trying to sell high (regardless of whether it's forced with Sutter coming back), great if you get something worthwhile back.

But this team sorely lacks skill and especially on the LW. Shouldn't matter if Sven is back, if it's purely cap dump it makes no sense.

My guess is they put Loui with EP and Brock while Sven reunites with Horvat and Jake.

End of the day, think Goldy's days are numbered but it's not so much the plan afterwards, it's the return they get for him.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think he has been pretty decent, but I have to say I have been pretty disappointed. He has had every opportunity in the world and he didn't quite do with it what I thought he would. He is replaceable.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He's 23.

What exactly is the upside of giving up on him to get a pick? He isn't Vey or Granlund, he actually has potential and has shown improvement.

It's not like we're going to flip him to get some depth for a run. I would wager the odds of him improving to get a better pick in a future trade would be more likely than getting a better player with a late 2nd/early 3rd.

The players on this team that shouldn't be moved are Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hutton, Markstrom, Virtanen and Goldobin. Gaudette as well but he should be in the AHL right now. Edler(sign in offseason), Tanev, Stetcher, Gudbranson, MDZ, Pouliot, Granlund, Schaller, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Motte, Baertschi and Sutter should all be far higher up in the trade and waiver queue than Goldobin.

Goldobin is a lottery ticket that we can sell for another lottery ticket that has a very high chance of being worse. We have nobody to replace him and there is literally no upside to moving him unless we want to make space to pick up some "depth" to be, apparently, a competitive team. Why.

If we were to trade him we should pump up his numbers as much as we can and give him even softer minutes so we can sell him at the deadline to a team to bite on a 40-50pt guy making 800k so they can add some depth. Not this lunacy to dump him for the sake of change. We were happy to acquire a 25 year old Leivo because he has a little bit of potential, albeit at the low cost of Carcone, but it's time to write off Goldobin...

Last edited:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I doubt the Canucks will have problems finding someone willing to give up something decent for Goldobin. There's a lot of upside there if a team can plug him into the right situation. A team like Edmonton or Pittsburgh might want to roll the dice. He dominated the AHL and showed improvement from last season. I worry we're going to regret moving him if the return is just a late pick and a player for the Comets.

Rede

Jun 21, 2010
I wonder if the Oilers would be interested - Benning likes hockey trades and I'd be up for some sort of deal where we take a flier on Puljujarvi, who Friedman also reported was on the block.

Alternatively, Carolina could be a good fit - lots of Dmen, need scoring.

Reactions: Hockeyphysio

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All fair. I think it's reasonable to say, let's give this guy a lot of rope and hope he pieces it together, at least until there are better options, but also fair to say hey, the dude has had some pretty prime ice time this year and his production is very disappointing.

Agreed 100%.

If we had a young guy ripping it up in Utica who looked ready for some offensive minutes here, I have no problem pulling the plug on Goldobin and giving another guy a look.

But we don’t, and if we’re giving up on the guy now the only outcome I see is even more icetime for Granlund and Motte. Which is idiotic.

Reactions: mossey3535

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I'm fine with trading him. He's atrocious when he doesn't have the puck. The lack of scoring chances he gets while playing with pettersson is simply unacceptable. Even mediocre offensive players like Eriksson got his fair share of scoring chances playing with pettersson.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Playing with EP was the only place he was actually doing anything..put him on any other line, and he would be fairly non existent.
This in a nutshell is why Goldie's stock is falling...all well and good you have chemistry and assists with EP scoring, but need to be driving offence on any line and his compete level appears to be low.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Agreed 100%.

If we had a young guy ripping it up in Utica who looked ready for some offensive minutes here, I have no problem pulling the plug on Goldobin and giving another guy a look.

But we don’t, and if we’re giving up on the guy now the only outcome I see is even more icetime for Granlund and Motte. Which is idiotic.

Its a real shame about Dahlen.

Reactions: MS

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Just because Goldobin doesn't work with Pettersson and Boeser doesn't mean he should be on the way out. The team should try Goldobin and Horvat together before making a call that he doesn't fit in the future of the top 6.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's 23.

What exactly is the upside of giving up on him to get a pick? He isn't Vey or Granlund, he actually has potential and has shown improvement.

It's not like we're going to flip him to get some depth for a run. I would wager the odds of him improving to get a better pick in a future trade would be more likely than getting a better player with a late 2nd/early 3rd.

The players on this team that shouldn't be moved are Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hutton, Markstrom, Virtanen and Goldobin. Gaudette as well but he should be in the AHL right now. Edler(sign in offseason), Tanev, Stetcher, Gudbranson, MDZ, Pouliot, Granlund, Schaller, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Motte, Baertschi and Sutter should all be far higher up in the trade and waiver queue than Goldobin.

Goldobin is a lottery ticket that we can sell for another lottery ticket that has a very high chance of being worse. We have nobody to replace him and there is literally no upside to moving him unless we want to make space to pick up some "depth" to be, apparently, a competitive team. Why.

If we were to trade him we should pump up his numbers as much as we can and give him even softer minutes so we can sell him at the deadline to a team to bite on a 40-50pt guy making 800k so they can add some depth. Not this lunacy to dump him for the sake of change. We were happy to acquire a 25 year old Leivo because he has a little bit of potential, albeit at the low cost of Carcone, but it's time to write off Goldobin...

A) Gaudette is in the AHL.

B) Isn't that exactly what they did, other than moving the timeline up a couple of months?

Goldobin isn't a "you need to sell him at the trade deadline" type of move - he's not someone that a playoff team will just air-lift into their top six for the playoff run. He's younger than guys like Vanek/Vrbata, but the situation is essentially the same in that these guys aren't really valuable at the trade deadline due to their skillset.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Get the 2nd round pick or two 3rds and I am happy.

If he's traded for some equally struggling d-man of the same calibre, I'll be upset.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
A) Gaudette is in the AHL.

B) Isn't that exactly what they did, other than moving the timeline up a couple of months?

Goldobin isn't a "you need to sell him at the trade deadline" type of move - he's not someone that a playoff team will just air-lift into their top six for the playoff run. He's younger than guys like Vanek/Vrbata, but the situation is essentially the same in that these guys aren't really valuable at the trade deadline due to their skillset.

That's why I didn't include Gaudette but mentioned him. He was on the roster for a long time so I wanted to clarify that he isn't one of the guys that should be traded, but he's more of a "pure" prospect than the others.

And no, it's not. Again I wouldn't trade him at all as I don't think we would get enough value, but if instead of benching him/demoting him etc we just let him play with Pettersson up until the deadline and put up his 50 point pace of secondary assists or whatever he might be able to get more than what he'll get right now.

Obviously he isn't someone that a playoff team will air-lift into their top-6 for a playoff run, but he is a guy who costs 800k to stuff into your lineup until the playoffs come around and you don't have to worry about the roster limit who may be able to play in a pinch. Also, again, he's a 23 year old RFA so he's not a pure rental like Vanek/Vrbata either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad