Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Goldobin is a very young player who has accomplished a lot and showed elite skills at times. This off season has been his time to take the next step. He wants to succeed and I am sure he has worked his ass off in training. I hope we give him the opportunity to succeed if he deserves it!

Accomplished a lot? He ha 19 pts in 60 games.

"elite" is a pretty loose term these days apparently

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
He's a PPG player in the AHL and a 0.33 PPG player in the NHL at 22 with very little PP time or ice time in general.

If you look at what Baertschi had accomplished at the same age you'd see it was less than what Goldy has done

Reactions: pomorick

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Accomplished a lot? He ha 19 pts in 60 games.

"elite" is a pretty loose term these days apparently

He hasn't got much opportunity. It seems green doesn't really like him. And he has technically shown some elite skill. There was that one play he made Doughty look like Pouliot.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He hasn't got much opportunity. It seems green doesn't really like him. And he has technically shown some elite skill. There was that one play he made Doughty look like Pouliot.

He hasn't had much opportunity.

But to use the world "elite" is stupid. By that logic, it could pretty much apply to any player who's ever made a great play. Marek Malik does not have "some elite" shoot out skills. It's not how it works.

I like Goldy. I believe he's shown flashes of being a capable offensive threat. Especially with his play late last season, he should get a look and it would be bonkers to waive him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Add the fact that hes been working out so hard and dedicated this summer i have no doubt he will be a POSITIVE suprise this training camp. Almost a guarantee atp

Reactions: pomorick

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I hope Goldobin makes the team and is a success, but at this point, he looks like a soft, defensively poor, skilled-but-not-skilled-enough player, that will be in the KHL within the next 2-3 years.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I don't see them moving on Goldobin. Yes he's not great defensively, but he's been better than he was last year and not just because of his chemistry with Pettersson. This team doesn't have enough offensive talent to start moving out players like Goldobin just yet, unless it's for another talented forward in return. Most teams that are competitive have 3 scoring lines, we have 2. With Sutter coming back, I could see them moving on from Granlund before Goldobin. I also don't see anyone in the minors that is pushing for a job atm.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If a coach believes he can't get a player to a passable level of defensive play he will be moved. Now we can argue that Granlund and others are just as useless in that respect but it's clear the coaching staff doesn't see it that way.

I said last game (or maybe the game before...can't remember) that Goldobin was playing his way into the press box with his poor defensive play and lack of possession protection. The line rushes for practice going into tonights game seems to suggest he has.

And I'll be honest, I may disagree with Green on the likes of Poo, Real Gud, Granlund etc but I don't disagree on this one. I predict that if Goldobin gets traded he will get some excellent icetime, put up some points and this point next year be on waivers when the next coach can't stand the defensive lapses.

And honestly, I want this team to be aggressive in identifying and getting rid of the dead weight. I likely wouldn't start at Goldobin but I also can't be very mad at it either.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Did you know that Goldobin has three (3) primary assists at 5v5 this year?

Production wise, the guy is coasting on leeching secondary assists off Pettersson which we know is more noise than signal. Even at that, his production is abysmal.

8 primary points in 41 games. Mostly with pettersson. Like, Antoine Roussel has 12. Loui Eriksson has nine. Tim Schaller has 4 primary assists. Sam Gagner has two.

At some point, you have to produce.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Did you know that Goldobin has three (3) primary assists at 5v5 this year?
Was not aware, changes the conversation quite a bit that is an alarming stat. Sure puts his point totals in context.

Have been a big Goldie supporter up until recently but starting to second guess myself in the past 3-4 games that Goldie has played in...his talent is undeniable but not fitting in with how Green wants him to play.

Maybe the best thing for both parties is to trade him and move on.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
In some preseason clip, I remember Jake in some half joking way, calling Goldobin, a “cherry picker”.
To me, that about describes him to a tee.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Clueless without the puck.

Id trade him tho rather than scratching him.

He is such a liability without the puck and blows out of the Dzone waay too early to chase points.

Cant win with a player like him.

Gotta move him. Hopefully he has a bit of value

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, that's lousy news. I know he hasn't exactly been consistent and he's had a quiet run lately, but damn.
Not surprise at all, Green doesn’t like him at all as you can see from his usage on the ice. However, Green hates Schaller even more so...I think Schaller goes on waiver when Sutter is back, unless they trade Goldy first

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The way some people talk about Goldobin this year reminds me of how people talked about Baertschi a few years ago. They're fine, but mostly because some of the players around them are even worse, you probably aren't going places if they're in your top 6 consistently.

Though I will say it is a bit odd how the news of Canucks maybe shopping Goldobin comes out the same day as the biggest media slurpers for the team rip him on the radio, shouldn't they be trying to pump his tires? Anyhow, I doubt he'd have much value as a trade chip anyway.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The way some people talk about Goldobin this year reminds me of how people talked about Baertschi a few years ago. They're fine, but mostly because some of the players around them are even worse, you probably aren't going places if they're in your top 6 consistently.

Though I will say it is a bit odd how the news of Canucks maybe shopping Goldobin comes out the same day as the biggest media slurpers for the team rip him on the radio, shouldn't they be trying to pump his tires? Anyhow, I doubt he'd have much value as a trade chip anyway.

We sure aren't going to candyland with whoever replaces him in the lineup

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It's disappointing to see Goldobin not working out. He's got skill and this team really lacks that. The number of bad passes he tries to pull off is concerning. He sees enticing plays but can't execute the pass often enough. He seems to focused on making goal of the year plays too. He could really benefit from just simplifying his game a bit. I really thought he made some progress this year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Well Baertschi is a better hockey player and he managed to learn after 80+ games what he needed to do to stay in the lineup. Goldobin hasn't. That isn't to say that I think Baerstchi should have a guaranteed spot moving forward because I don't think that at all.

Reactions: Nomobo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->