Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Goldy is a potential breakout player that nobody really talks about here, especially if he manages to spend substantial time with Horvat and Boeser.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think Goldy is a potential breakout player that nobody really talks about here, especially if he manages to spend substantial time with Horvat and Boeser.

I don't think he'll ever be given a sufficient chance here to break out. He is blocked by too much garbage on the roster.

Reactions: timw33

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sam Gagner - 74-10-21-31
Markus Granlund - 53-8-4-12

Assuming they're primarily used on the wing give Goldobin the same opportunity as those two and even if he's not very good it's not like he's going to be any worse. Especially Gagner who doesn't really have any defensive acumen. In the 32 games he did get Goldobin scored 8-6-14, so saying 'he wasn't ready' is nonsense when he could have scored 20 goals if he was given Gagner's spot.

Reactions: Snow Horvat

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sam Gagner - 74-10-21-31
Markus Granlund - 53-8-4-12

Assuming they're primarily used on the wing give Goldobin the same opportunity as those two and even if he's not very good it's not like he's going to be any worse. Especially Gagner who doesn't really have any defensive acumen. In the 32 games he did get Goldobin scored 8-6-14, so saying 'he wasn't ready' is nonsense when he could have scored 20 goals if he was given Gagner's spot.

Just a sidebar -- Gagner's 21 assists are more than Sutter has ever had in an NHL season.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If he can pick up from where he left off last season he has a chance at breaking out to become an impact offensive player.

Question is if he can do that, and if he can maintain it while not being a total disaster defensively. We'll see.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He played great at the end of the season and looked dangerous on almost every shift. Garbage time, sure, but he was looking like he was starting to get "it" and started doing things he wasn't before.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
He played great at the end of the season and looked dangerous on almost every shift. Garbage time, sure, but he was looking like he was starting to get "it" and started doing things he wasn't before.
Except it was garbage time...I like Goldy and hope he can put it together but the last games of a nothing season really tell us nothing.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Perhaps, but he hasn’t earned anything. I haven’t been impressed with the kid at all. He has to beat Baertschi for a spot on that line and not be gifted it. I also prefer Leipsic at the moment. I think he is all but done with the team and was the wrong player to chase from SJ. Hope I’m wrong

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Perhaps, but he hasn’t earned anything. I haven’t been impressed with the kid at all. He has to beat Baertschi for a spot on that line and not be gifted it. I also prefer Leipsic at the moment. I think he is all but done with the team and was the wrong player to chase from SJ. Hope I’m wrong

I think that in the right situation he could be a 20 goal guy, but I don't think that 'right situation' is here with the Canucks.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think that in the right situation he could be a 20 goal guy, but I don't think that 'right situation' is here with the Canucks.
Perhaps, but the Canucks are brutal. If he can’t crack our top 6 which team can he? He has no business playing on your 3rd or 4th line the way he refuses to engage in his own zone. I think it’s his last shot so I hope he has been training like never before.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think he'll ever be given a sufficient chance here to break out. He is blocked by too much garbage on the roster.

One thing with Green is that he has specific deployment he likes. He's not going to deploy Goldobin on a defensive line playing a defensive role. Goldobin would be sitting before that happens on a regular basis. In terms of chances, it's all relative. I don't think he's going to get a long leash where he can suck defensively and not produce offensively. He needs to come in and show he can contribute on the top 6 while not being a defensive liability in order to earn a longer leash.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Perhaps, but the Canucks are brutal. If he can’t crack our top 6 which team can he? He has no business playing on your 3rd or 4th line the way he refuses to engage in his own zone. I think it’s his last shot so I hope he has been training like never before.
He’s really competing for 1/2 winger spots.

Seems like they will use sutter at C on that 2nd scoring line which is a mistake imo.

Leaves petterson, goldy, loui, gagner, granny, virtanen, leipsic as his competitors for those spots.

We know that beagle, roussel, schaller are on the 4th line. And who the first line are. Plus sutter, so 7 roster spots are nailed down. Down to 6 spots.

But given the money that eriksson, gagner are owed makes it an image thin for this management group to cut them. Then there’s granny and gaunce. Along with virtanen this groups first ever draft pick.

This management group has to be willing to dump gagner if either or both of gaudette or goldy can make the roster.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Players of Goldobin's age/caliber aren't going to come nicely packaged out of the AHL ready to score 50 points on an NHL 2nd line. They've learned about as much as they can in the AHL at this point, so if they're going to make it in the NHL you need to give them an opportunity to play and learn at the NHL level.

Now you never want to gift one player a spot, so rather for a team in our position the strategy should be to have several Goldobin-calibre players competing for a couple available spots. Like have 2-3 top 9 spots open for Goldobin, Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlin, Motte, and Leipsic, plus any surprises, to fight over in camp, let the best man win and in the regular season roll with the growing pains. The wrong way to do it is to say if you can't come in right away and contribute like Boeser did then we're just going to sign Sam Gagner or Antoine Roussel at $3M+ to fill these spots.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

We could... you know... build a 3rd / 4th line where u can put offensive prospects to develop?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I personally think Leipsic is more potentially an effective energy player/grinder who can put up some offense every now and then. So we'll probably lose him when he can't hold down a top 6 spot, due to our ridiculous signings.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks gift a spot to Gagner on the opening night lineup and lose a guy like Goldobin on waivers, it's time to trade in the Canucks jersey for a Homer Simpson T-shirt. Doh!

Reactions: GrogZilla

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Other teams are icing offesive 3rd and 4th lines. Why do we have to fill our bottom 6 with "character" ?

We are small in our top 6, no power forwards, so we can't really balance out the scoring like that. The team needs to have players it can play in defensive situations. If we have 4 scoring lines, we'd probably be the worst team in the league at holding a lead. I'm sure this doesn't upset the tankers, but let's be realistic, the current management group isn't intentionally tanking. They are trying to ice a competitive line-up and insulate our really important offensive prospects. If your goal is to be competitive (which I know it probably isn't), icing 4 lines of our 'offensive' prospects isn't going to achieve that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Canucks gift a spot to Gagner on the opening night lineup and lose a guy like Goldobin on waivers, it's time to trade in the Canucks jersey for a Homer Simpson T-shirt. Doh!
Bo, Brock, bear, sutter, eriksson, beagle, roussel, schaller are on this team. We know that. Contracts dictate it.

That is 8 spots leaving 5 left to fill out the roster.

Virtanen, granlund, gaunce, gagner are returning regulars.

Petterson, gaudette, goldobin, leipsic are the unproven younger guys who don’t make much due to elc.

3 won’t be on the roster. Only petterson and gaudette don’t have to clear waivers. And I doubt petterson goes to the ahl. He’ll ask to return to Sweden if he is not on the roster.

We shall see how much competition there is at camp. One thing to dump a granny or gaunce another to eat a big contract like gagner or eriksson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't care if Gagner is "a returning vet" with a albatross contract you can't bury in the minors.....He's awful and not a guy who will ever be in the Canucks lineup when this team is relevant again. I'd rather see Goldobin flailing around and finding his way through a full NHL season than watching vets who never should have been signed in the first place and aren't part of the future.

Ditto for Del Zotto. For God's sake let kids like Hughes and Juolevi sink or swim in the NHL. What's the worst that can happen? They finish in 26th place again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->