Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Whatever they're doing to "coach" him isn't working, it's almost like he's getting worse at being responsible and softer on the puck.

If they're going to play him, it should be on EP's wing and nowhere else. He's able to make some plays when he's on that line but anywhere else he's a liability.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Whatever they're doing to "coach" him isn't working, it's almost like he's getting worse at being responsible and softer on the puck.

If they're going to play him, it should be on EP's wing and nowhere else. He's able to make some plays when he's on that line but anywhere else he's a liability.

Was just about to post that. He is getting worse.... not better.

I’m done with this player. Too much babysitting to do.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Goldobin for Hansen was fine value at the time, it wasn't like he was a Vey type prospect.

If it doesn't work out it's not because it was a bad trade, it's just because prospects sometimes don't turn out despite them trending well at lower levels.

If you were someone who would have put money down that he wouldn't be a legit NHL player when we made the trade (coming off a PPG season in the AHL at 21 years-old) then kudos to you, but I doubt there are many of us here that could honestly say that.

There's no doubt that he has the offensive ability. I mean as shaky as he's looked and his season has gone, he's still on pace for 40 points over 82 games which is lower end 2nd line production. Who knows if he'll ever "figure it out" but luckily for him his problems have more to do with bad habits than lack of ability, and the former is easier to fix.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
It was a flea market swap anyway. Nobody loses anything (well the Canucks wasted their time). But it does feel like the project is over. Fail.
Yeah, it was a worthwhile chance but enough is enough. He’s been given all the opportunities and shown no progression at all, you could say he’s regressed. He can’t side the side of a barn, if he had even converted a fraction of his chances, we’d be in a playoff spot to say nothing about his defensive miscues and the one or two giveaways every game.
Get him out of here, take anything former can get for him.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah, it was a worthwhile chance but enough is enough. He’s been given all the opportunities and shown no progression at all, you could say he’s regressed. He can’t side the side of a barn, if he had even converted a fraction of his chances, we’d be in a playoff spot to say nothing about his defensive miscues and the one or two giveaways every game.
Get him out of here, take anything former can get for him.

Only 4th in points on the team with limited ice time and sitting a bunch of games.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
His confidence is shot. He's still the second best play maker on the team behind EP40, but if he doesn't have the confidence to allow him to play his game it's of little use. If his defensive game was better or the team was good enough to hide his deficiencies this wouldn't really be an issue, but here we are.

Reactions: kanucks25

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
His confidence is shot. He's still the second best play maker on the team behind EP40, but if he doesn't have the confidence to allow him to play his game it's of little use. If his defensive game was better or the team was good enough to hide his deficiencies this wouldn't really be an issue, but here we are.
Yup, his toolbox has a crack in it.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That was a terrible turnover by Biega on the winning goal, but the reaction to that turnover by Goldobin and his defensive awareness after that was just appalling. It didn't necessarily need to result in a goal.

People need to understand that Benning didn't really trade Hansen for Goldobin, he actually traded a 2nd round pick or possibly even a late 1st round pick for him. He could've easily gotten a pick for Hansen, he just wanted a prospect who had already done developing and who could step into the lineup right away. Very similar to the Vey trade in that sense.

I disliked the trade and would've never made it myself because I thought Goldobin would never make it. But I guess you can't expect an NHL GM to see something like that.

Reactions: MS

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
That was a terrible turnover by Biega on the winning goal, but the reaction to that turnover by Goldobin and his defensive awareness after that was just appalling. It didn't necessarily need to result in a goal.

People need to understand that Benning didn't really trade Hansen for Goldobin, he actually traded a 2nd round pick or possibly even a late 1st round pick for him. He could've easily gotten a pick for Hansen, he just wanted a prospect who had already done developing and who could step into the lineup right away. Very similar to the Vey trade in that sense.

I disliked the trade and would've never made it myself because I thought Goldobin would never make it. But I guess you can't expect an NHL GM to see something like that.

I wasn't keen on the return either but I can't see that they were getting a late first or early second (either with or without the conditional 4th they also got) for Hansen. A third is more realistic and ultimately would have been better although I am still puzzled as to exactly what happened to Hansen.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Disagree
I think Boeser is the 2nd best playmaker, extremely underrated in this board

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I like Goldobins talent and i do believe he's been snake bitten somewhat and can score at this level. But the short arms in battles lack of defensive awareness and effort is counter productive to his ability to produce.

Last night it was on full display when he failed to pick anybody up after the Biega turnover and quite frankly you cannot win with players like this against good teams. A fully commited Goldobin is a good player but he's just not that invested.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Goldobin for Hansen was fine value at the time, it wasn't like he was a Vey type prospect.

If it doesn't work out it's not because it was a bad trade, it's just because prospects sometimes don't turn out despite them trending well at lower levels.

If you were someone who would have put money down that he wouldn't be a legit NHL player when we made the trade (coming off a PPG season in the AHL at 21 years-old) then kudos to you, but I doubt there are many of us here that could honestly say that.

There's no doubt that he has the offensive ability. I mean as shaky as he's looked and his season has gone, he's still on pace for 40 points over 82 games which is lower end 2nd line production. Who knows if he'll ever "figure it out" but luckily for him his problems have more to do with bad habits than lack of ability, and the former is easier to fix.

Disagree. Expansion lowered his value + they moved him to protect Granlund lol. Should have moved him the following deadline, highly doubt his play falls off so hard/so fast if he stayed here vs going to San Jose.

Reactions: mathonwy

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
The talents there and I want him to work out but he's done here. Everytime he steps on the ice now I think he has Green in his head and is playing scared. His confidence and decision making are shot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The talents there and I want him to work out but he's done here. Everytime he steps on the ice now I think he has Green in his head and is playing scared. His confidence and decision making are shot

Pretty much.

He’s done here and he hasn’t done enough.

But the handling of him has sucked. Had 12 points in 13 games in a stretch earlier in the year and seemed to be getting it ... then had 1 bad game and was scratched. And has looked awful since.

Some players are motivated through tough love and benchings and others that’s the worst thing you can do and they need a coach to believe in and trust them. And they’ve just pushed all the wrong buttons with this player.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017

I wish I saw the talent that some do although I suspect that Goldobin supporters are bigger fans of the concept of Goldobin (highly skilled forward with some defensive issues) than the actual player (ultimately Kyle Wellwood without the sweet hands which gives you Linden Vey). I am all for giving the skilled guys lots of rope but I just don't see the high end skill with 77. Above average vision does not a highly skilled player make.

Reactions: Nomobo

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I wish I saw the talent that some do although I suspect that Goldobin supporters are bigger fans of the concept of Goldobin (highly skilled forward with some defensive issues) than the actual player (ultimately Kyle Wellwood without the sweet hands which gives you Linden Vey). I am all for giving the skilled guys lots of rope but I just don't see the high end skill with 77. Above average vision does not a highly skilled player make.

I agree with this. People love the idea of a Goldobin, as do I, but he has little finish ability. No real power on his shot. And I don't think confidence has any thing to do with his IQ especially on his defensive effort.

I'm personally of the mindset that even when Goldy was scoring he wasn't very impressive. Sort of floating around, not knowing where to be on the ice at times. Not finishing on most of his chances. I think he was just riding on coat tails of Petterssons early success. I don't even think Pettersson and Goldobins style of play even mesh well with each other. Pettersson doesn't necessarily need another playmaker on his line. He needs guys that can finish. Goldy isn't a finisher.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I like Goldobins talent and i do believe he's been snake bitten somewhat and can score at this level. But the short arms in battles lack of defensive awareness and effort is counter productive to his ability to produce.

Last night it was on full display when he failed to pick anybody up after the Biega turnover and quite frankly you cannot win with players like this against good teams. A fully commited Goldobin is a good player but he's just not that invested.
Snake Bitten is when guy like Horvat who has produced 20+ goals a couple times before and is struggling to beat the goalie.

Goldobin has never produced like a top 6 foward, it’s not snake bitten anymore at this point, it’s just that he doesn’t have the ability to be a finish at this level

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Snake Bitten is when guy like Horvat who has produced 20+ goals a couple times before and is struggling to beat the goalie.

Goldobin has never produced like a top 6 foward, it’s not snake bitten anymore at this point, it’s just that he doesn’t have the ability to be a finish at this level

Eh, to a degree maybe but he has been unlucky and had a disproportionate number of goalposts and great saves against him. If you played this season again and his luck regulates, he probably has another 3-4 goals.

He’s a better finisher than Virtanen but Virtanen has a completely comical set of fluke/terrible goals this year while Goldobin simply hasn’t got those sorts of bounces, and it’s a bit unfair that one guy has 12 goals and the other 6.

But even with a few more goals, his level of production given playing with Pettersson and given his crap defensive play still isn’t good enough.

Reactions: Nomobo

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
Virtanens shot has more power to it. So even if it isn't accurate, there's chances of it bouncing off the goalie and going in. Goldobins shot is really weak. It's debatable whether his shot is more accurate than Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad