Player Discussion Nikolay Goldobin Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Here are Goldy's shots, by result.

This is his entire career, not just this season.

View attachment 193509

It's pretty obvious where he has success shooting from, and it's where you would expect.

Left handed shot. Putting him on his off-wing would be a serious mistake.

Unlike me, who totally rocked it on my off-wing in every ball hockey game I've ever played.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My opinion on Goldobin is similar to Virtanen:

There is something there and I think we should continue to be patient.

Edit - just read Melvin’s posts: maybe I’m done with Goldobin as well.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Baertshi is indeed 'done', then they really don't have much choice but the bring Goldy back. I mean who else is there on the left side who generates anything offensively?

Haven't really studied the UFA market that closely....but Jimbo's track record of signing UFA's who are worth a damn, isn't encouraging.

I guess the thing that kind of surprises me is that after all the crap, benchings and negative publicity, Goldy still wants to be here. To me that's worth something, particularly given what happened with Dahlen.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
How the eff do you pass the puck out of the ozone on two different power plays and without any pressure?

And it wasn’t even close. It was straight out.

I don’t get this player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
How do the eff do you pass the puck out of the ozone on two different power plays and without any pressure?

And it wasn’t even close. It was straight out.

I don’t get this player.

I know he just seems to have these bizarre lapses. He does this all the time on the powerplay lmao

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With Baertschi out, Goldobin is probably the Canucks only skilled left-winger. And he's actually making an impact in most of the games he's playing in these days. Of course that's probably a testament to how deprived the Canucks are for scoring wingers.

Still think Green should just leave him on Pettersson's line, and let the defensive chips fall where they may. Maybe in a week when the Canuck playoff hopes are officially dead and buried, he'll be more open to experimenting. But at least Goldy is no longer a candidate to be scratched every time a forward returns to the lineup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why would he come back here? The one good stretch he had, he got benched ... we all know the rest of the year

Because he wants to play in the NHL. I don't think the Canucks will keep him another season for the sake of asset management. Goldy can sign a Leivo type deal where the Canucks agree that they will try trading him if he's spending a lot of time in the press box again. Let's face it, if Goldy is spending a lot of time in the press box he's likely to hit the waivers some time next season if a trade doesn't materialize before.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goldobin was drafted the same year as Virtanen in 2014, albeit much later in the first round. It's amazing how the narrative on the two players has diverged, in terms of their development.

Nobody is advocating trading Virtanen now for bag of pucks; yet Goldy is supposedly on the first train to the Gulag. Where's the patience?

Reactions: sting101

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Because he wants to play in the NHL. I don't think the Canucks will keep him another season for the sake of asset management. Goldy can sign a Leivo type deal where the Canucks agree that they will try trading him if he's spending a lot of time in the press box again. Let's face it, if Goldy is spending a lot of time in the press box he's likely to hit the waivers some time next season if a trade doesn't materialize before.
Agreed, just dont see him wanting to come back to Van. Any trade value he had earlier in the year is now gone

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Goldobin was drafted the same year as Virtanen in 2014, albeit much later in the first round. It's amazing how the narrative on the two players has diverged, in terms of their development.

Nobody is advocating trading Virtanen now for bag of pucks; yet Goldy is supposedly on the first train to the Gulag. Where's the patience?
Virtanen would already be gone if he wasn't a local boy and 6th overall pick.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
So, it now sounds like he isn't going back home? I can't get it straight.... Is he or isn't he?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Outside of a few scratches here and there, he was given an opportunity as he should have given the state of the team and failed to take advantage of it apart from a short stretch where he piled up some secondary assists on Pettersson's line. He was not mismanaged.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
His skill stood out on a forward group of mostly plumbers but he didn’t do nearly enough with the opportunities he had. He had almost zero competition at LW until we got Pearson.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Outside of a few scratches here and there, he was given an opportunity as he should have given the state of the team and failed to take advantage of it apart from a short stretch where he piled up some secondary assists on Pettersson's line. He was not mismanaged.

He was given plenty of opportunity here and he squandered it with bad play.
27 points in 63 games isn't horrible but a high % of his points were 2ndary assists leeching off of pettersson and he finished the season with 4 points in his last 24 games and is among the weakest forwards defensively.

He is what he is at this point in his career, will be 24 when next season rolls around, it's time to move on from marginal players like this.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
People are forgetting all the great plays he made that didn't result in points. Anyone who watched all the games knows that his luck was not good this year. He has things he needs to improve on but I don't buy the narrative that he was just leeching off others, that's BS.

It's said about a lot of players that they just need to get faster and stronger, but with Goldy that's really what it is. I like his effort and he's shown he's committed to playing without the puck. His success will depend on physical improvement.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
27 points in 63 games isn't horrible but a high % of his points were 2ndary assists leeching off of pettersson and he finished the season with 4 points in his last 24 games and is among the weakest forwards defensively.

He is what he is at this point in his career, will be 24 when next season rolls around, it's time to move on from marginal players like this.

What is the Future of Nikolay Goldobin?

Sure he was leeching off of Pettersson. You still the need to have the skill to leech off someone. When Virtanen was playing with Pettersson. Did Virtanen to put a lot of points? The answer is No. Yes Goldobin needs Pettersson nut Pettersson also need Goldobin as well to put a lot more points

Pettersson with Goldobin 20 GF 9 GA. Without Goldobin 24 GF 28 GA. Pettersson is actually - player without Goldobin. Facts don't lie, the facts shows Pettersson plays a lot better with Goldobin.

Some people have this false perception that bad players can just leech off an elite player and put up a lot of points. That's not true an elite player hockey IQ is off the chart. You need to have skill/high IQ level to read off of an elite player to be able to put points.. Goldobin can do that. A lot of Canucks wingers don't have that skill.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Sure he "leeched" points off Petey, but at least he was able to leach more than any other winger they played Petey with, Boeser aside.

The data also strongly indicates that Goldy makes Petterson better too. It was a combo that shouldn't have been broken up. At the very least, if you really don't think he's a fit, you leave Goldy with Petey to pump up his trade value.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
What is the Future of Nikolay Goldobin?

Sure he was leeching off of Pettersson. You still the need to have the skill to leech off someone. When Virtanen was playing with Pettersson. Did Virtanen to put a lot of points? The answer is No. Yes Goldobin needs Pettersson nut Pettersson also need Goldobin as well to put a lot more points

Pettersson with Goldobin 20 GF 9 GA. Without Goldobin 24 GF 28 GA. Pettersson is actually - player without Goldobin. Facts don't lie, the facts shows Pettersson plays a lot better with Goldobin.

Some people have this false perception that bad players can just leech off an elite player and put up a lot of points. That's not true an elite player hockey IQ is off the chart. You need to have skill/high IQ level to read off of an elite player to be able to put points.. Goldobin can do that. A lot of Canucks wingers don't have that skill.

Not buying this. Goldobin played a lot with pettersson early in the season when pettersson was shooting a completely unsustainable 30% and racked up points. In the last 1/3 of the season pettersson was not playing with goldobin and he was also tired and wasn't the player he was in the first half of the season. I don't buy that his production declined because he wasn't with goldobin

Reactions: Hit the post

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Regardless of draft position, local-ness and thus far disappointing career, Virtanen at the very least, has shown that he can actually be a useful NHL player.

Goldy? I don’t think he’s proven that much.

Besides there is, and alway has been, talk of moving Jake. And the thing is, we could potentially trade him for something. What could we get for Goldy, a 5th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad