Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
They are VERY accurate. Especially about scandinavians players. EP is based at Vaxjo, Sweden, around 40 people works for em, some are in touch with players, so you can trust EP.

Well the Jets site has him listed at 168lbs and 6', although I know Ehlers himself said he was around 174 during the prospect camp. Thing is, if he put on weight to reach 174, he couldn't have been 176 at the 2014 draft.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well the Jets site has him listed at 168lbs and 6', although I know Ehlers himself said he was around 174 during the prospect camp. Thing is, if he put on weight to reach 174, he couldn't have been 176 at the 2014 draft.

He reached ~6' at the '14 draft combine. He later reached ~175 lbs. He stayed 6'.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Ehlers has indeed put on a lot of weight this summer. I heard from his father that they expect him to be just a little bit slower this year in the baginning of the season, but once he gets used to the extra amount of weight they hope his speed will catch up again.

I don't remember the exact amount of extra weight, but I believe it was around 7-8 kilos (15-18 lbs).

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Ehlers has indeed put on a lot of weight this summer. I heard from his father that they expect him to be just a little bit slower this year in the baginning of the season, but once he gets used to the extra amount of weight they hope his speed will catch up again.

I don't remember the exact amount of extra weight, but I believe it was around 7-8 kilos (15-18 lbs).

Let me just clarify that the 7-8 kilos were compared to season end. The players typically weigh a little less at the end of the season compared to the beginning, so my guess would be, that he put on about 5 kilos over the entire year.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I don't like the way they "hope" he gets faster. Do not like that uncertainty in a vital area of his game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't like the way they "hope" he gets faster. Do not like that uncertainty in a vital area of his game.

I tend to agree that I prefer him to keep his speed and quickness over gaining a bit of bulk. If he makes the team, I'm pretty sure that he'll trim down to a good playing weight soon and it won't be a problem. I think the more important factor for making the team will be his aerobic conditioning. Maurice doesn't like guys that aren't in top shape, and certainly won't appreciate a rookie that isn't in shape. My concern with Ehlers during the development camp is that he looked like he didn't have great conditioning because he hadn't skated for a couple of months. I hope he's been working on that in the past several weeks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think saying 6' is being fairly generous. I hope it's true, but he looks like a short 6' to me.

Would you prefer 5' 11.85"? He is whatever height he is and whatever weight he is. I think he is tall enough and heavy enough. I want him fast, strong and able to stay fast all day. That said I'm going to go with the 6' until I hear otherwise. We'll see what the Jets list him as after TC weigh in day.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
it is concerning that they only hope... and I too was worried that he didnt skate for a few weeks.
will be good to get assured when he is back for penticton.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
it is concerning that they only hope... and I too was worried that he didnt skate for a few weeks.
will be good to get assured when he is back for penticton.

I have been concerned with this since development camp. There is no doubt he was winded quite often. He didn't look very good. No matter how we spin it, it's not good.

Morrissey learned the hard way last year. You would think management would have more rigid guidelines as to weight gain.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Would you prefer 5' 11.85"? He is whatever height he is and whatever weight he is. I think he is tall enough and heavy enough. I want him fast, strong and able to stay fast all day. That said I'm going to go with the 6' until I hear otherwise. We'll see what the Jets list him as after TC weigh in day.

It's not about what I prefer. It is about accurate numbers.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@DarrinBauming: Nikolaj Ehlers: "I want to make the team this year. I have nothing else in the head. I'm just excited to be here and ready to get started."

@DarrinBauming: Ehlers: "There's a lot of good players here... I've got to fight harder than the other guys, and they all want to make the team as well."

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
@DarrinBauming: Nikolaj Ehlers: "I want to make the team this year. I have nothing else in the head. I'm just excited to be here and ready to get started."

@DarrinBauming: Ehlers: "There's a lot of good players here... I've got to fight harder than the other guys, and they all want to make the team as well."

I just listened to the interview. When he says "I've got to fight harder than the other guys" he kind of stumbles over his English and sort of says "I've got to fart." Recovered nicely though. Or maybe he had beans for breakfast, I don't really know what the Danish diet is.

Was disappointed Bauming didn't ask him about the weight issue, if he was feeling quicker than he did when he came to development camp after putting on some pounds. That's the main question with Ehlers now, IMO.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have a feeling Ehlers will be going to Europe this season.
dont think he is physically there yet.

and with his biggest streanght being in danger, Europe might be a good idea.
And most likely under his dad who has always known how to get the most out of Nik.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

And most likely under his dad who has always known how to get the most out of Nik.

If he doesn't make the Jets I wouldnt be opposed to this but I don't think he can do that without Halifax's permission.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Halifax made their final cuts today and are carrying 2 Euro's with Meier and Somppi (their first import draft selection this year). Not exactly iron clad giving one could certainly be traded to make room for Ehlers but certainly another indication that they are moving forward without him.

If some sort of permission is required I personally believe it has already been sorted out behind the scenes, but that's just speculation by me. :)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Recovered nicely though. Or maybe he had beans for breakfast, I don't really know what the Danish diet is.

It's basically rye bread, fish (esp. herring), eggs, and frikadeller.

If you're ever close to West Broadway you should try the frikadeller at Bistro Dansk.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Halifax made their final cuts today and are carrying 2 Euro's with Meier and Somppi (their first import draft selection this year). Not exactly iron clad giving one could certainly be traded to make room for Ehlers but certainly another indication that they are moving forward without him.

If some sort of permission is required I personally believe it has already been sorted out behind the scenes, but that's just speculation by me. :)

You have to know they would kill to have him for another year. No way they give that permission out of the goodness of their hearts. I have no idea what could be used to persuade them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think it's very unlikely that Ehlers is anywhere but with the Jets this season. I think he's motivated to make the team, and the Jets will give him every opportunity. They've basically held off on signing veteran free agents to make room on the roster for young players, and he's the prime candidate for a top-9 role, in my opinion. He might still need some physical development, but I don't think it'll be such a big issue considering his role and style of play.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

I am sure a hundred loopholes to get out of chl to return to Europe.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If it was easy everybody would be doing it.

There's a VERY small subset of players that would be in the Ehlers situation.

First they need to be good enough to have already signed an NHL deal before their 19 year old year. Next they need to be good enough to be able to get significant minutes at a top European team. However you cannot be good enough to crack the NHL roster. You also must have played in NA for your draft year to be subject to the agreement. Then they need to WANT to go over there or have connections over there. So remove all NA players and most europeans (since if they came over before draft year they are trying hard to make it in NA first).

There's really very few players at all that are going to be in that subset of players. Barely any at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad