Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There's a VERY small subset of players that would be in the Ehlers situation.

First they need to be good enough to have already signed an NHL deal before their 19 year old year. Next they need to be good enough to be able to get significant minutes at a top European team. However you cannot be good enough to crack the NHL roster. You also must have played in NA for your draft year to be subject to the agreement. Then they need to WANT to go over there or have connections over there. So remove all NA players and most europeans (since if they came over before draft year they are trying hard to make it in NA first).

There's really very few players at all that are going to be in that subset of players. Barely any at all.

You are making an awful lot of assumptions there. If it is a better development experience NA plaayers would have incentive to do it. The opportunity to spend a season in Europe would be additional incentive for many. Actually being paid to play is another incentive. Who would not want that? How many 1st round picks would not be good enough by D+2?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You are making an awful lot of assumptions there. If it is a better development experience NA plaayers would have incentive to do it. The opportunity to spend a season in Europe would be additional incentive for many. Actually being paid to play is another incentive. Who would not want that? How many 1st round picks would not be good enough by D+2?

Most actually. Your really underestimating the level of play in some top European leagues. Even being a top AHL player is not guarantee.

European teams have a limited number of imports, they are not going to waste those spots on teenagers when they can get proven pros that play big minutes. So basically even if a NA teenager wanted to try it, a European team (from a league of any repute) is unlikely to try it.

It's not necessarily going to be a better development path either. Particularly if your not going to play big minutes. It might harm, developing in European type play, not playing alot, being out of the NHL teams "eye" etc.

It's something that basically you have to be in Ehlers spot. Very very few players match that type of situation.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Yikes. Those calves make even StronGeer look Stronger.

RpIHsFT.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most actually. Your really underestimating the level of play in some top European leagues. Even being a top AHL player is not guarantee.

European teams have a limited number of imports, they are not going to waste those spots on teenagers when they can get proven pros that play big minutes. So basically even if a NA teenager wanted to try it, a European team (from a league of any repute) is unlikely to try it.

It's not necessarily going to be a better development path either. Particularly if your not going to play big minutes. It might harm, developing in European type play, not playing alot, being out of the NHL teams "eye" etc.

It's something that basically you have to be in Ehlers spot. Very very few players match that type of situation.

You've stated some limitations. I'd forgotten import restrictions. Still, there should be room for a few.

The real question though is still whether or not it is available to Ehlers. With no agreement between the CHL and Euro leagues maybe it is. Are there any IIHF limitations that would apply? Can he do it on his own or would he have to be loaned by the Jets? Does the CHL/NHL agreement prevent the Jets from loaning CHL player to another pro league? Why is Halifax assuming he won't be back? What have they been told? I'm not saying it can't be done but there are a lot of questions that I haven't seen any answers to.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
You've stated some limitations. I'd forgotten import restrictions. Still, there should be room for a few.

The real question though is still whether or not it is available to Ehlers. With no agreement between the CHL and Euro leagues maybe it is. Are there any IIHF limitations that would apply? Can he do it on his own or would he have to be loaned by the Jets? Does the CHL/NHL agreement prevent the Jets from loaning CHL player to another pro league? Why is Halifax assuming he won't be back? What have they been told? I'm not saying it can't be done but there are a lot of questions that I haven't seen any answers to.

Ehlers must be loaned by the Jets as he is under contract to the Jets first and foremost.

Again there is nowhere that the CHL-NHL agreement has been posted. IIHF would not have any additional restrictions past CHL-NHL agreement. So whether they are allowed to or not is unknown.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Ehlers must be loaned by the Jets as he is under contract to the Jets first and foremost.

Again there is nowhere that the CHL-NHL agreement has been posted. IIHF would not have any additional restrictions past CHL-NHL agreement. So whether they are allowed to or not is unknown.

I'm planing on asking him about being allowed to leave Halifax for Europe ... if he would answer my twitter PMs :laugh: I guess he's pretty busy right now.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I have a feeling Ehlers will be going to Europe this season.
dont think he is physically there yet.

and with his biggest streanght being in danger, Europe might be a good idea.
And most likely under his dad who has always known how to get the most out of Nik.

I don't understand the angst about Ehlers' size. There are much smaller players doing very well in the NHL now and have been since I can remember. I don't see the issue at all. We're not asking him to be an enforcer or even play a physical game.

If he can play well (which he can), and gets his cardio back (He's young, should be simple), he will be ready for the Jets.

YMMV.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't understand the angst about Ehlers' size. There are much smaller players doing very well in the NHL now and have been since I can remember. I don't see the issue at all. We're not asking him to be an enforcer or even play a physical game.

If he can play well (which he can), and gets his cardio back (He's young, should be simple), he will be ready for the Jets.

YMMV.

The bolded is the issue. He said himself at development camp that he didn't feel as quick carrying the extra weight. He needs to be as quick as ever, or better yet even quicker.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The bolded is the issue. He said himself at development camp that he didn't feel as quick carrying the extra weight. He needs to be as quick as ever, or better yet even quicker.

I agree. Being quick and having great endurance is what he needs. Not weight or time on the rack.... :laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yesterday's golf tourney, he is not looking bulky at all, kinda looks the same in terms of weight.

Ehlers.png

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The guy is what...19? He's not going to get that much bigger naturally as he gets into his twenties. He looks to have a lean body type, not a bad thing. He's never going to bench as much as Thorburn or Peluso but I can think of a few things those two can't match Nik on...

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I was at the prospect camp early this summer, and he was noticeably struggling with his conditioning. I think all that have played this game on any level understand what carrying around 10 to 15 extra pounds can do to your conditioning.

Hopefully he was just on the up slope of his summer training, adding muscle and reducing cardio when he was at the development camp, and now he has started his decent to a leaner body with conditioning taking the place of muscle and weight gain.

He looks in pretty solid shape in yesterday's pic, so I think the weight thing will not be an issue.

Is it me or does every sports forum have off season pics discussing weight and muscle mass at this time of the summer?

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He is still very thin, which is a good thing. He should get his skating condition back in right form before main camp.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I don't think it's cardio really (all players suffer from that when they come to camp to some extent). I think it's the lack of quickness and agility from the extra weight. It's like a vehicle. If you add things to it to make it heavier, it will not be as quick or nimble as it was. The good thing is that through on ice sessions Ehlers can regain that quickness and agility despite the weight. Problem is it's not a fast fix. Specialized muscle groups and muscle memory are involved, and that is not instantaneous.

It's like the kid who is a great athlete then grows 6 inches through the summer. He comes back to the track/ field and he's clutzy and cumbersome. A true athlete will make adjustments but it won't happen overnight.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I don't think it's cardio really (all players suffer from that when they come to camp to some extent). I think it's the lack of quickness and agility from the extra weight. It's like a vehicle. If you add things to it to make it heavier, it will not be as quick or nimble as it was. The good thing is that through on ice sessions Ehlers can regain that quickness and agility despite the weight. Problem is it's not a fast fix. Specialized muscle groups and muscle memory are involved, and that is not instantaneous.

It's like the kid who is a great athlete then grows 6 inches through the summer. He comes back to the track/ field and he's clutzy and cumbersome. A true athlete will make adjustments but it won't happen overnight.

He shouldn't need to play his best hockey ever at camp. I can only see that they would send him back to europe or juniors if he struggles way too much.

Many youngsters need sometime to adjust. Johnny Hockey was miserable in his first games, but after that we all know the story.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He shouldn't need to play his best hockey ever at camp. I can only see that they would send him back to europe or juniors if he struggles way too much.

Many youngsters need sometime to adjust. Johnny Hockey was miserable in his first games, but after that we all know the story.

It is also a good chance IMO, even if Ehlers looks to not quite to have put it all together they will take advantage of his 9 available games in the NHL before making a commitment one way or another. But I fully expect Ehlers to hit the ground running in Penticton and then in main camp, and the Jets board will be full of speculation on just how big of a rookie season he will have.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

They're so not, though! So many options out there:
A) Skateboarding and snowboarding will work them really hard.
B) You could also try being fat. The bigger the better. Carting around your own fat ass will build huge calves.
C) If fattening yourself up like a turkey in September isn't an option, you could make a habit of carrying a really heavy backpack around at all times.
D) The trifecta! All of the above has been the secret to my monster calves.

Now all of you, and future Milhouse know what can be done. I expect there won't be anymore crying.

...now if I could just figure out how to make my shoulders beefier...

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

They're so not, though! So many options out there:
A) Skateboarding and snowboarding will work them really hard.
B) You could also try being fat. The bigger the better. Carting around your own fat ass will build huge calves.
C) If fattening yourself up like a turkey in September isn't an option, you could make a habit of carrying a really heavy backpack around at all times.
D) The trifecta! All of the above has been the secret to my monster calves.

Now all of you, and future Milhouse know what can be done. I expect there won't be anymore crying.

...now if I could just figure out how to make my shoulders beefier...

Everytime I read calves comments I jiggle a bit. As I am German, I obviously played football for the most parts in my life. I played in a club from 6 to 18 or something like that. I never was a skinny kid, definately neither fat. I always was and still am a little bulky, build like a square. I tried to go to the gym for some time and I barely achieved to get a somehow defined body for the first time in my life after always having a little belly (which I still have since quitting the gym again :laugh:).

But since I always played football from 6-18, there is ONE god damn thing I have: Defined and trained looking curves :laugh: and they just don't go away! I'm serious :laugh: I am wondering from time to time when they might go away because I haven't been playing regular club football for like 8 years now and only occassionally go for runs.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
That'd make for an excellent body break commercial. a.k.a Hal and Joanne get more honest and grumpy with age. :laugh:
(Probably an inside joke to those who grew up in the 'Peg.)

Here's a game for today: try to get this ****ing song out of your head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad