Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Everytime I read calves comments I jiggle a bit. As I am German, I obviously played football for the most parts in my life. I played in a club from 6 to 18 or something like that. I never was a skinny kid, definately neither fat. I always was and still am a little bulky, build like a square. I tried to go to the gym for some time and I barely achieved to get a somehow defined body for the first time in my life after always having a little belly (which I still have since quitting the gym again :laugh:).

But since I always played football from 6-18, there is ONE god damn thing I have: Defined and trained looking curves :laugh: and they just don't go away! I'm serious :laugh: I am wondering from time to time when they might go away because I haven't been playing regular club football for like 8 years now and only occassionally go for runs.

uhhh... you what? :loony:

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
handegg.jpg

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
@hustlerama: For those wondering why Nikolaj Ehlers was not on ice today - #NHLJets asked he stay off ice at the at NHLPA rookie showcase as a precaution

Probably a crossfit injury

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's precautionary, but wonder if maybe that's why Ehlers came to WPG early, maybe to get closer to Jets docs to treat something minor.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Everytime I read calves comments I jiggle a bit. As I am German, I obviously played football for the most parts in my life. I played in a club from 6 to 18 or something like that. I never was a skinny kid, definately neither fat. I always was and still am a little bulky, build like a square. I tried to go to the gym for some time and I barely achieved to get a somehow defined body for the first time in my life after always having a little belly (which I still have since quitting the gym again :laugh:).

But since I always played football from 6-18, there is ONE god damn thing I have: Defined and trained looking curves :laugh: and they just don't go away! I'm serious :laugh: I am wondering from time to time when they might go away because I haven't been playing regular club football for like 8 years now and only occassionally go for runs.
Me too! No matter how pudgy I get, the calves stay rock hard and ultra defined. I've been back to the gym for 2 weeks and lost 10lbs. Finally under 250, ready to look like big Buff any time now. Buff Buff, not fat Buff.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Sounds like it's all been worked out with Halifax in advance since they already have 2 imports.

http://m.thn.com/blog/its-either-winnipeg-or-europe-for-nikolaj-ehlers-this-season/

If he does not make the Jets this fall, my sources tell me that Winnipeg will send him to Europe to play against men

Really hope that doesn't happen. We've had good success with Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry so far. Bringing younger guys into the line up really hasn't hurt us, and better to keep bringing in 2 or 3 each season than using plugs and ending up with rookiesplosion a year or two from now. At least, whoever Ehlers pushes down the lineup is better than the Pelusos, Halischuks and Frasers of the world.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Really hope that doesn't happen. We've had good success with Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry so far. Bringing younger guys into the line up really hasn't hurt us, and better to keep bringing in 2 or 3 each season than using plugs and ending up with rookiesplosion a year or two from now. At least, whoever Ehlers pushes down the lineup is better than the Pelusos, Halischuks and Frasers of the world.

This is a good point. Going through our prospect list realistically based on current development curves we can expect 10-12 our our prospects to be NHL ready players within 3-4 years. With approx another 1/2 dozen with an outside chance. Even with an aggressive introduction of rookies into the lineup (2-3 per season) it is unlikely there will be room for all of them no matter how well they all develop. IMO to delay the introduction of the most ready in favour of journeymen depth players makes no sense for the organization. If needed as the TD approaches those types of players are easy to pick up at modest prices.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
This is a good point. Going through our prospect list realistically based on current development curves we can expect 10-12 our our prospects to be NHL ready players within 3-4 years. With approx another 1/2 dozen with an outside chance. Even with an aggressive introduction of rookies into the lineup (2-3 per season) it is unlikely there will be room for all of them no matter how well they all develop. IMO to delay the introduction of the most ready in favour of journeymen depth players makes no sense for the organization. If needed as the TD approaches those types of players are easy to pick up at modest prices.

first of all, i think you're a bit optimistic. i can't think of any NHL club that has 2-3 rookies/year making the club AND is challenging for a playoff spot. that means that you're turning over almost half your lineup in 2-3 years. Detroit a few years ago brought up their rookies due to a large # of injuries. and then after that? lineup stability.

look, we're all gung ho about our prospects. even Leafs fans are drooling over their shallow prospect pool (2 higher end prospects and then a lot of question marks). we have 2 solid, legit forward prospects (Connor, Ehlers), 1 solid D prospect (Moz) and 1 high end goalie prospect (Helle). 3 of those prospects are probably 2 years away from making the team. this year, we'll have Ehlers and maybe, just maybe, Copp on the team.

the issue with not having journeymen players will be seen with Copp. what do you do with Copp as a 4th line centre? the 4th line will get, what? 5ish minutes a game? does that allow a rookie player to develop? wouldn't he better be served playing in the AHL, where he can play against men and get 15-20 min/game?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
first of all, i think you're a bit optimistic. i can't think of any NHL club that has 2-3 rookies/year making the club AND is challenging for a playoff spot. that means that you're turning over almost half your lineup in 2-3 years. Detroit a few years ago brought up their rookies due to a large # of injuries. and then after that? lineup stability.

look, we're all gung ho about our prospects. even Leafs fans are drooling over their shallow prospect pool (2 higher end prospects and then a lot of question marks). we have 2 solid, legit forward prospects (Connor, Ehlers), 1 solid D prospect (Moz) and 1 high end goalie prospect (Helle). 3 of those prospects are probably 2 years away from making the team. this year, we'll have Ehlers and maybe, just maybe, Copp on the team.

the issue with not having journeymen players will be seen with Copp. what do you do with Copp as a 4th line centre? the 4th line will get, what? 5ish minutes a game? does that allow a rookie player to develop? wouldn't he better be served playing in the AHL, where he can play against men and get 15-20 min/game?

I wouldn't dismiss Armia as a prospect that is probably ready to compete for a spot. He's had a couple of AHL seasons. He was terrific with Rochester before coming over to the Ice Caps (where he had some injury issues). Chevy specifically mentioned that he might get a look with the big club last year, but then traded for Tlusty and Stempniak for the playoff run.

I think the Jets will start the season with 2-3 rookies (Ehlers, and Copp and/or Armia). Petan is a dark horse. I think that even if they start in the AHL, Morrissey and Petan will likely see stretches with the big club if there are injuries.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think the Jets will start the season with 2-3 rookies (Ehlers, and Copp and/or Armia). Petan is a dark horse. I think that even if they start in the AHL, Morrissey and Petan will likely see stretches with the big club if there are injuries.

i think Armia will be a call-up. think Petan will see mid-season playing time based on inevitable injuries.
Moz - depends on the Buff situation. but Pardy will be the next guy in the pecking order and he's perfect for that role.

again, becoming a true playoff team this year will have a strong correlation to the # of rookies that will be a regular part of the roster. 5 rookies playing on this team will likely mean that we're out of the playoffs

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
i think Armia will be a call-up. think Petan will see mid-season playing time based on inevitable injuries.
Moz - depends on the Buff situation. but Pardy will be the next guy in the pecking order and he's perfect for that role.

again, becoming a true playoff team this year will have a strong correlation to the # of rookies that will be a regular part of the roster. 5 rookies playing on this team will likely mean that we're out of the playoffs

Would 6 help us make it? :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with the bolded.

Apparently the decision was made to go with prospects, therefore no Stemp, Tlusty etc. Hali, Fraser, Cormier were signed for the Moose - I sincerely hope! If they were signed instead of Stemp, etc then we are in some trouble.

2+ rookies/yr are required just to replace aging players or the rookies from recent years who never quite make it.

That's all the solid, legit prospects we have? No Armia, no Petan? 3 of those 4 are probably 2 years away? Which 3? Is the 4th one 3+ years away? That is one very pessimistic assessment of our prospect pool. It is also very pessimistic towards our 4th line. With Copp having only a slim chance of making the team our 4th line is going to be even worse than last year.

With Cop and another decent player on the 4th with Thor we are looking at more then 5 min/gm.

I wouldn't dismiss Armia as a prospect that is probably ready to compete for a spot. He's had a couple of AHL seasons. He was terrific with Rochester before coming over to the Ice Caps (where he had some injury issues). Chevy specifically mentioned that he might get a look with the big club last year, but then traded for Tlusty and Stempniak for the playoff run.

I like Armia's potential but it is an exaggeration to say he was 'terrific' with Rochester. In his 2nd AHL season he had 25 pts in 33 games with them. That is sub-terrific territory. For comparison O'Dell had 55 pts in 59 games in his 2nd AHL season and he was apparently never taken seriously as a prospect. I think Armia's time with Rochester last year could more accurately be described as 'adequate'.

If the Jets start the season with less than 3 rookies it means we have a crap 4th line again with all the ramifications of that. 2 rookies still leaves one of Hali/Fraser/Peluso getting regular duty on the 4th line.

First only 1 rookie is going to make the team out of TC then we jump to 5? So 4 are getting significant injury replacement time. I have to hope that it is the 4th line plugs who are being injured.

Assuming Buff stays here and that Stuart is an untouchable asset then Morrissey's time will depend on injuries.

We have 8 top 9 players. We need 1 rookie to fill that out. We have 1 4th line player, Thor. We need 2 more not named Halischuk, Fraser or Cormier. They could come from among the 8 top 9 players we have if a rookie can push someone down. They could have come from the FA pool but that doesn't look like happening. That leaves rookies. We need 2. That is 3 rookies needed. I think you have it backwards. Less than 3 rookies making the Jets out of TC means very poor playoff chances. If we start with 3 there are 2 others liable to get substantial NHL time as injury replacements so that is 5. With good goaltending the 5 rookie team makes the playoffs. The 1 rookie team does not unless the goaltending is better than merely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad