Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2010/04/21/from-the-inbox/

Basically...

A CHL player whose rights are held by an NHL team is only eligible to play a full season in the AHL if:

(a) the player will turn 20 years of age by December 31st of the season in question; OR

(b) the player has already completed four seasons of Junior eligibility.

But...

http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/2010/04/nhlchl-agreement-why-juniors-have-to-be.html

Players who are not drafted from the CHL, like NCAA and European players, aren't held to these rules. Players who were drafted out of Europe and then play in the CHL later, can play in the minors under the age of 20. European players drafted out of the CHL are held to it. Nationality is not part of the equation -- it's where you were drafted from (which league developed you).

CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over even if they don't yet meet the age criteria listed above. So you could see 18 and 19-year-old juniors in the AHL late in the season. They can and do return to junior the next year.

http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

Clear as mud...

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
All bets are off if Stafford has a big scoring drought or is just not himself, then Ehlers can take his place like Hutch took Pavs place. But the team won't give up on a guy so easily if he is making 4 million or so. Pavs must have been really bad.

I think it would be good to use Ehlers on the 2nd PP though. Then if he gets an NHL scoring touch he might have to be on the 2nd line. I also forgot, 3rd line is no slouch with Lowry. Maybe Jets will have 3 pretty good lines.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets for the first time will have 4 skilled lines, pretty good lines

NO ELITE line but LLW is not to shabby. IT was just they didn't have nobody else before, so it was LLW with Enstrom and Buff before more or less.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Jets for the first time will have 4 skilled lines, pretty good lines

NO ELITE line but LLW is not to shabby. IT was just they didn't have nobody else before, so it was LLW with Enstrom and Buff before more or less.

They had 4 skilled lines towards the end of last year. I can't say for certain they will this year since we don't know who will play 4C. Could very well be Cormier with Thorburn and Peluso on the wings.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
They had 4 skilled lines towards the end of last year. I can't say for certain they will this year since we don't know who will play 4C. Could very well be Cormier with Thorburn and Peluso on the wings.

Good lord, that would be brutal in a major way.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Good lord, that would be brutal in a major way.

truck: thanks - I'm going to have nightmares tonight. :rant:

Hunter: yep. Let's hope they have other plans.

Bringing this back to Ehlers: very happy that he's spending the better part of a month with the Jets trainers. After his bulk up doing cross fit stuff, here's hoping that he's on a mostly aerobic plan now, to get into game shape for TC.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
truck: thanks - I'm going to have nightmares tonight. :rant:

Hunter: yep. Let's hope they have other plans.

Bringing this back to Ehlers: very happy that he's spending the better part of a month with the Jets trainers. After his bulk up doing cross fit stuff, here's hoping that he's on a mostly aerobic plan now, to get into game shape for TC.

I think Ehlers needs a little extra guidance as far as conditioning, training, workouts etc. Not saying he's lazy or out of shape, but saying he needs just the right balance to have him at his peak.

You don't put mud tires on your sports car during the summer.

I think he's tried to do what he thought the Jets wanted or what he needed....but in fact it wasn't.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think Ehlers needs a little extra guidance as far as conditioning, training, workouts etc. Not saying he's lazy or out of shape, but saying he needs just the right balance to have him at his peak.

I think he's tried to do what he thought the Jets wanted or what he needed....but in fact it wasn't.

I think you are wrong here. Ehlers is our number one prospect. IF the Jets had any designs on him making the team this season they would have been extremely proactive and involved with his fitness plan.

It makes perfect sense to bulk up in the early months of the offseason, and then get your aerobic, anerobic, and agility/ speed back up in the later stages heading into TC. Young players especially tend to lose weight during the season as the excessive exercise and high metabolism is hard to feed adequately.

The question will be if Nik ended up bulking too much and if he can get his hockey metrics back at a level that will allow him to play his game, at the very top level in the world.

Josh Morrissey only lost a step -- speed and agility wise when he went through this, but against the best of the best, it was a very noticeable dip.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you are wrong here. Ehlers is our number one prospect. IF the Jets had any designs on him making the team this season they would have been extremely proactive and involved with his fitness plan.

It makes perfect sense to bulk up in the early months of the offseason, and then get your aerobic, anerobic, and agility/ speed back up in the later stages heading into TC. Young players especially tend to lose weight during the season as the excessive exercise and high metabolism is hard to feed adequately.

The question will be if Nik ended up bulking too much and if he can get his hockey metrics back at a level that will allow him to play his game, at the very top level in the world.

Josh Morrissey only lost a step -- speed and agility wise when he went through this, but against the best of the best, it was a very noticeable dip.

To add to this Ehlers will have had a much longer offseason than Josh to undergo the whole program. I think that will enable him to come to camp in tip top shape with his speed and agility still in tact.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I think we're kinda saying the same thing albeit in a slightly different way. Only difference is I was saying started his training on his own (which I believe I heard him say during a interview). During that interview he stated he might of bulked up too much. Now the Jets are involved fine tuning his training.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
To add to this Ehlers will have had a much longer offseason than Josh to undergo the whole program. I think that will enable him to come to camp in tip top shape with his speed and agility still in tact.

Let's hope he does, after all this hype about him.....hate to see him have a bust year.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agree.
The other thing Nik has going for him is the lack of recourse to go back to the Q. That gives him a lot more time to optimize his strength vs speed and agility.
The plan with Morrissey was always to send him back to Juniors for another year unless he blew the door down. He didn't.
The plan with Ehlers-- who has already proven superior to junior hockey, is a risk to send back, and is now physically ready for the NHL-- is to keep him unless he completely blows the opportunity.
So, the premises for the two players going into TC were/are very different.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Apparently Ehlers evil twin (I mean Swedish twin) Nylander gained a lot of weight during the season last year and continues to gain in the off season. Reportedly at 192+ and rising. This from a readers conversation yesterday, I think on TSN. They were discussing it like it was common knowledge. EliteProspects gave that weight. I wonder how well he will carry the extra lbs? His game relies on quickness just as Ehlers' does.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Apparently Ehlers evil twin (I mean Swedish twin) Nylander gained a lot of weight during the season last year and continues to gain in the off season. Reportedly at 192+ and rising. This from a readers conversation yesterday, I think on TSN. They were discussing it like it was common knowledge. EliteProspects gave that weight. I wonder how well he will carry the extra lbs? His game relies on quickness just as Ehlers' does.

Agreed, going from 160/170 to 190+ is a short period is a big thing for a normal person never mind a athlete who depends on speed & agility.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Ehlers isn't doing anything without the blessing of the Jets trainers. His emphasis on off-ice strength/power is exactly what he should have been doing until coming back to NA timing-wise. And from the clips that I saw, power cleans and resistance sprints don't exactly slow you down in the long run. He will be quicker than ever once he gets his on-ice rhythm back. It's all good...

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I saw that too, and was surprised at the big weight gain. I doubt it will translate into strength in the short term, and could reduce quickness and stamina.

For Ehlers, I'd rather that he be lightning quick and agile than adding several extra pounds. His game doesn't rely that much on size/strength, which he'll naturally add over time in any case.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I saw that too, and was surprised at the big weight gain. I doubt it will translate into strength in the short term, and could reduce quickness and stamina.

For Ehlers, I'd rather that he be lightning quick and agile than adding several extra pounds. His game doesn't rely that much on size/strength, which he'll naturally add over time in any case.

EliteProspects currently lists Niko at 6', 176. It seems to me that they are more up to date than some other sites. Not sure of that, just an impression. I agree, quickness and agility are more important for him than size & strength. I'd like to see him add quickness AND a few lbs. Anywhere in the 175-180 range would be just fine. Fit, strong, fast. I don't think he should ever be worrying about bulking up. At 6' he probably levels off about 185 if he just waits to mature normally.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
EliteProspects currently lists Niko at 6', 176. It seems to me that they are more up to date than some other sites. Not sure of that, just an impression. I agree, quickness and agility are more important for him than size & strength. I'd like to see him add quickness AND a few lbs. Anywhere in the 175-180 range would be just fine. Fit, strong, fast. I don't think he should ever be worrying about bulking up. At 6' he probably levels off about 185 if he just waits to mature normally.

They had him listed at that before he was drafted. Not sure how accurate they are at all. Maybe everyone else was wrong. I remember wondering where this info came from last year. It would be great if he hit 6'.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They had him listed at that before he was drafted. Not sure how accurate they are at all. Maybe everyone else was wrong. I remember wondering where this info came from last year. It would be great if he hit 6'.

I think it came from the combine last year. I recall hearing at that time that he had measured 5' 11 7/8". Since then I see a mix of 5'11" & 6'. I'm not getting excited about fractions of inches. The Jets page also says 6' (168 lbs).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Agreed, going from 160/170 to 190+ is a short period is a big thing for a normal person never mind a athlete who depends on speed & agility.

Nasty. :laugh:

It sounded like the Leafs fans were really excited at the prospect of a big Nylander. :laugh:

Just to chime in, from video of Nylander, he still looks like his usual quick, agile himself, but he now has much more competitive size and strength to him.

From where he was last summer, to what he looks like now, it just looks like his body has matured which has allowed him to put on the size and strength without losing his legs.

It's why people are excited, because Nylander has managed to remove all "small" or "weak" labels about him, and when you look at him as a player, there isn't too much to say negatively about his game now.

At this point, it's now down to the natural improvement that young players need to go through. He'll be playing center in the AHL this year, and with no reason to expect any sort of failure to come from that, it certainly appears like we have a stud center on our hands here in Toronto.

Now, as for Ehlers, his path is almost the same, though he's a winger. Once he finds that proper size, it's just down to that natural game growth.

Both Nylander and Ehlers are tremendous players, it always confused me why some like to bash on once to try and pump up the other.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just to chime in, from video of Nylander, he still looks like his usual quick, agile himself, but he now has much more competitive size and strength to him.

From where he was last summer, to what he looks like now, it just looks like his body has matured which has allowed him to put on the size and strength without losing his legs.

It's why people are excited, because Nylander has managed to remove all "small" or "weak" labels about him, and when you look at him as a player, there isn't too much to say negatively about his game now.

At this point, it's now down to the natural improvement that young players need to go through. He'll be playing center in the AHL this year, and with no reason to expect any sort of failure to come from that, it certainly appears like we have a stud center on our hands here in Toronto.

Now, as for Ehlers, his path is almost the same, though he's a winger. Once he finds that proper size, it's just down to that natural game growth.

Both Nylander and Ehlers are tremendous players, it always confused me why some like to bash on once to try and pump up the other.

This will be our next Schief vs Couterier. It will be fun to compare these guys for years to come but both will be solid players.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC

They are VERY accurate. Especially about scandinavians players. EP is based at Vaxjo, Sweden, around 40 people works for em, some are in touch with players, so you can trust EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad