Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Sucks for him that there are 4 people deserving of top line minutes so he's gotta be the odd man out, but hopefully KC can get his game going again, and Little coming back we'll be able to take advantage of Ehlers' strong game. Had him pegged as our MVP for this season, and so far hasn't disappointed.
MVP? Not even top 5

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
KC Copp Ehlers if Mo plan to play them against other 2nd line.

KC Roslo Ehlers against bottom 6

Bottom 6 line

Copp Lowry Little strong defensively, can match up.

Or
Copp lowry bourque
Perrault Little appleton

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
KC Copp Ehlers if Mo plan to play them against other 2nd line.

KC Roslo Ehlers against bottom 6

Bottom 6 line

Copp Lowry Little strong defensively, can match up.

Or
Copp lowry bourque
Perrault Little appleton

Top 6 is going to be:
CSW
ELL

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I think it's unlikely that Laine gets bumped next game because Little is back.

First bad period he has he’ll get the Ehlers treatment, and those lines will stick for the rest of the season. Laine will relapse into playing Fortnite and go on ten game long droughts again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hulide

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
So Connor Roslovic Laine as 3rd line :)

Not too bad but i think Mo knows his job is on the line.
He needs to ice best line possible.
But then again, BOTH Dalstrom and Bitteto in before Niku.

Mo will likely continue to play the hot hand - and I don't think his job is on the line TY with the D we have in place. In fact, I hear a lot about how well he is doing with the young pups on the back end, how he has Laine playing the right way and how Ehlers has added an element to his game.
And yes, I give Mo some of the credit for these improvements.

I don't see Laine being bumped unless his game changes and that's up to Laine
If things do change, the lines will change - Mo has options now that he has both Ehlers and Laine rolling well on #1
And that's not considering KC who may or may not end up back there at some point depending on circumstances.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Mo will likely continue to play the hot hand - and I don't think his job is on the line TY with the D we have in place. In fact, I hear a lot about how well he is doing with the young pups on the back end, how he has Laine playing the right way and how Ehlers has added an element to his game.
And yes, I give Mo some of the credit for these improvements.

I don't see Laine being bumped unless his game changes and that's up to Laine
If things do change, the lines will change - Mo has options now that he has both Ehlers and Laine rolling well on #1
And that's not considering KC who may or may not end up back there at some point depending on circumstances.

It would have been a lot different if the team didnt dig themselve out of that 4 zero Jersey game and had a bad record through 5 games.
If management is now giving him some leverage as we have suspected D now. Then he should have been fired after bowing out to St Loius Blues with a high caliber lineup.

I think its not up to Laine before if his playing great or no, as he wasnt getting inserted in #1 line up no matter what. Its part of his frustration ( again i dont agree with it, but i have some leeway with him due to age).

Nevertheless

I like it better this way, if Mo wins the cup here that would be nice. But seeing his capacity to go over the hump, it will be tough.
I also want Wheeler and Little win the cup here before they retire, that would be awesome.

I have a bet, with a friend if Jets reaches the final i will fly in to watch it with them..

Reactions: GNP

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Sooo over Paul. Predicted he would get 3-5 games on the top line and was right. One of the best forwards in those three games and gets demoted just like he has in the past. Seriously considering dropping my nhl tv subscription until Paul is out of a job.
I Know you feeling but ill still watch from denmark.. yep remember 2 years ago hattrick against Edmonton that started the season.. the game after getting demoted from the first line... last year congratulation with you new contract that kicks in, now you start on the 4. line.. well he knows and everybody knows that him and Maurice are not on good terms. and we all know how Maurice sees him.. he does not play the dump and chase hockey but he is still trying to adapt. We have seen this many times before... just hoping this year will be different and it will not get to him.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If management is now giving him some leverage as we have suspected D now. Then he should have been fired after bowing out to St Loius Blues with a high caliber lineup.

Sure - let's go back and rehash his career again - that always makes for a good discussion.

Let's live in the present - my points stand and he'll be judged on go forward as it should be.

I know it's difficult around here to give this coach any credit for anything - for some, it's impossible.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sooo over Paul. Predicted he would get 3-5 games on the top line and was right. One of the best forwards in those three games and gets demoted just like he has in the past. Seriously considering dropping my nhl tv subscription until Paul is out of a job.
Ehlers played great on the first line and is still playing great. And he is in my top 3 favourite players with Scheifele and Morrissey. But IMO it was inevitable that once Laine took the next step where he started doing more of the heavy lifting he was moving up with Scheifele. While Ehlers is a great player, Laine has the potential to be one of the greatest in the game. At some point I can see L-S-E, but for now Wheeler is still an elite winger and far better than many give him credit for. Having players like Ehlers and Connor our 2nd line is a great thing IMO.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers played great on the first line and is still playing great. And he is in my top 3 favourite players with Scheifele and Morrissey. But IMO it was inevitable that once Laine took the next step where he started doing more of the heavy lifting he was moving up with Scheifele. While Ehlers is a great player, Laine has the potential to be one of the greatest in the game. At some point I can see L-S-E, but for now Wheeler is still an elite winger and far better than many give him credit for. Having players like Ehlers and Connor our 2nd line is a great thing IMO.

Stop being so reasonable :laugh: I’m just bitter and slowly turning into Sip. It’s just frustrating seeing him improve every season while everyone else is rewarded. I should stop posting when I’m having had days :laugh:

Reactions: Halberdier

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Sure - let's go back and rehash his career again - that always makes for a good discussion.

Let's live in the present - my points stand and he'll be judged on go forward as it should be.

I know it's difficult around here to give this coach any credit for anything - for some, it's impossible.

Yup i agree Maurice should be judge now going forward in the present. Reason i said it would have been very different if the team sank that Jersey game, and im glad it didnt go that way.

But still past is needed for better measurement.
Team did well 2 years ago
Team did not do well 1 year ago.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Ehlers was very good on the top line. I think Laine has been ok in that spot as well doubling the points Ehlers has this year.

I think some of the line up decisions are coming from or at least highly suggested by Chevy. From all accounts Chevy just had some rough discussions with Copp and Laine in the off season. I think Chevy made fair offers to both players for their production and both players said their production could have been better in different situations. To help mend some fences I think it's been decided to gives both players their wish and see what they can do if put into their ideal situations. That has to come at the expense of other players. In this situation Ehlers is one of those players. At the same time if you are spreading talent around I think Ehlers is probably better for balance on the 2nd line.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Ehlers was very good on the top line. I think Laine has been ok in that spot as well doubling the points Ehlers has this year.

I think some of the line up decisions are coming from or at least highly suggested by Chevy. From all accounts Chevy just had some rough discussions with Copp and Laine in the off season. I think Chevy made fair offers to both players for their production and both players said their production could have been better in different situations. To help mend some fences I think it's been decided to gives both players their wish and see what they can do if put into their ideal situations. That has to come at the expense of other players. In this situation Ehlers is one of those players. At the same time if you are spreading talent around I think Ehlers is probably better for balance on the 2nd line.
Very plausible, if true it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, that a player who was team first by signing a team friendly long term deal up front, gets rewarded for showing loyalty by being demoted, as he doesn't have any leverage longer in terms of contract status. I hope, its not like that.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yup i agree Maurice should be judge now going forward in the present. Reason i said it would have been very different if the team sank that Jersey game, and im glad it didnt go that way.

But still past is needed for better measurement.
Team did well 2 years ago
Team did not do well 1 year ago.

Good to hear that you agree on this point - :thumbu:
No point in judging a coach on the past if he's turning things around -
Same goes for players that struggled in any given year and are now buying into the plan and playing a better game ;)

IMO, the past is not needed to measure the present unless nothing has changed or you are stuck there.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I am not convinced that either Laine or Ehlers has made the big improvements in their game ppl give them credit for.
Before you can say that, they need to be battle tested. 5 games is not enough. Things look great right now, i do agree, but let os see how it goes 40-50 games in, when bodies are tired and hurt.
Right now they are like me first week in January, where my new-year-eve-promisses are still fresh and I am going to the gym. In February I “forget” to go to the gym. Each March I cancel my gym subscribtion.
I really hope that both Laine and Ehlers stay focused on doing things right and dont forget their new-season-promisses

For Ehlers own sake a trade would be good for his carreer, because he should have pp1 duty regularly, and he will not get it in Winnipeg. Furthermore Winnipeg doesnt have a decent 2C who fits Ehlers speed, which leaves him in a sort of limbo with his production.

I predict a 55-65p season for Ehlers if healthy. 15-20 percent made on pp2

16:30 TOI/game

He will occasionally be on the first line and be doing great, but bc of a single bad period or for no reason at all, be dumped back down the line-up as Pomo’s favourable Blender-Boy, and stay there until a crisis demands his presence at the first line once again.

2nd line will be struggling again - even more so when Little comes back. I dont think Little and Ehlers fit very well together, but I do think that Little is the second best center on this team.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I am not convinced that either Laine or Ehlers has made the big improvements in their game ppl give them credit for.

For Ehlers own sake a trade would be good for his carreer, because he should have pp1 duty regularly, and he will not get it in Winnipeg. Furthermore Winnipeg doesn't have a decent 2C who fits Ehler's speed, which leaves him in a sort of limbo with his production.

I predict a 55-65p season for Ehlers if healthy. 15-20 percent made on pp2

16:30 TOI/game

He will occasionally be on the first line and be doing great, but bc of a single bad period or for no reason at all, be dumped back down the line-up as Pomo’s favourable Blender-Boy, and stay there until a crisis demands his presence at the first line once again.

2nd line will be struggling again - even more so when Little comes back. I dont think Little and Ehlers fit very well together, but I do think that Little is the second best center on this team.

I would think Roslovic does fit Ehler's speed along with Connor, but Little is the better of the 2. Roslovic still lacks a lot of confidence, and is still learning the game, and we don't know how he'll pan out.

I don't think you have to match Ehler's or Connor's speed, because when Paul Statsny was on that line, and he was also slower, they played well as a line. You can play back as a center and still feed the puck up to your faster wingers.

Hopefully Roslovic will be the answer in the long run--we'll have to wait and see what happens.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hopefully Maurice wont start him on the 4 Line again this year... oh well you never know..
No kidding. I've liked his game, effort with Scheif & Wheels. But seems switching him up with Laine onto top line looks ingenious by PoMo, at least for Laine & Scheifele. Anyhow...Go Nikolaj Go! Keep " giving her E-man!

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
First bad period he has he’ll get the Ehlers treatment, and those lines will stick for the rest of the season. Laine will relapse into playing Fortnite and go on ten game long droughts again.
Lol trolls are funny

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Lol Nik has a ton of great looks and some stinky puck luck at times. That being said he seems to play and score pretty consistently well up and down the lineup.

It's about maximizing your roster to win more games. Not pleasing your Danish fan base. They pay Nik a nice chunk to play here and he consistently gets meaningful minutes. Its pretty clear that they value his services.

Reactions: KingBogo and GNP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad